PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcsully

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Few days ago noticed some slanted views towards M. Vick after his recent comments on HBO. But gotta give the guy credit today. Looked sharp against a strong defense and was able to have a career day..
Seemed like the coaching staff allowed him to play and he showed them something..

Now the real question.. Can he be consistant..

Steelers just imploded. They turned it over 3 times for 21 points and gave the Falcons good field position each time.

i think too many people criticize him for nothing.

1. Do people realize he just wins games? Hes got a good winning % so why do people have to pick on him..thats what u want your QB to do..win. not post stats..as long as he wins

2. The coaches have tried to limit him a little..saying "lets try this lets try that", let him get comforatble with what he wants to do. Hes got an unbelievable arm and athletism..u cant take that away from him

as long as he wins..people shouldnt be saying "hes a bad QB" they could do a lot worse with a decent QB without the athletism

i think Vick is a great PLAYER. if you consider a QB a guy who can consistently pass for X amount of yards and accuracy..then maybe hes not a good QB. But if your like me and consider a good QB a guy who can lead your team to victories..then hes a solid 1 imo

MrClutch said:
Steelers just imploded. They turned it over 3 times for 21 points and gave the Falcons good field position each time.

Still put up the 7 points instead of 3.. Gotta give him credit for doing the job..

Vick is a unique player who can be deadly if the coaches play to his strengths. With that said, the follow comment is absurd:

Remix 6 said:

1. Do people realize he just wins games? Hes got a good winning % so why do people have to pick on him..thats what u want your QB to do..win. not post stats..as long as he wins

Do YOU realize, as Boomer pointed out today, that since Vick signed his uber contract (3 years ago), his record as a starting QB is 11-10? That doesn't really sound like someone who "just wins games". Face it, the guy has been an average QB in this league over the last three years. Granted, the system he's been in is partly to blame but let's not pretend he's playing like something that he's clearly not.

mcsully said:
Still put up the 7 points instead of 3.. Gotta give him credit for doing the job..

That's true but I still think Vick is a great athlete just not A great QB. As mobile as Vick is, he still got sacked 7 times by the Giants. He has trouble reading defenses at times.

Ahriman said:
Vick is a unique player who can be deadly if the coaches play to his strengths. With that said, the follow comment is absurd:

Do YOU realize, as Boomer pointed out today, that since Vick signed his uber contract (3 years ago), his record as a starting QB is 11-10? That doesn't really sound like someone who "just wins games". Face it, the guy has been an average QB in this league over the last three years. Granted, the system he's been in is partly to blame but let's not pretend he's playing like something that he's clearly not.

you pay contracts to players who win games for you. Vick that guy. you dont pay. his record isnt 11-10 as a starter..check again. without him their record has been a lot worse..negative in win-loss percantage compared to him starting. getting 900 yards rushing while also being able to throw is a major weapon. i watched the Giants game and his WRs dropped like 4 easily catchable balls..hes not as bad a thrower as people say he is

Blah blah blah ... athletic .... blah blah blah .... exciting ....

The "just win" spin is a new one .... for a QB that went 8-8 last season. And who has a QB rating around room temperature, is a 50% passer, and who barely has more TDs than INTs.

The national media does enough ball-washing and excuse-making for him. No need for any more in this forum.

R

its just going to be the natural overreaction after he throws 4TD's that the o coordinator "heard" him etc etc...thats not true..vick is an overrated QB ..exciting but overrated..

Remix 6 said:

2. The coaches have tried to limit him a little..saying "lets try this lets try that", let him get comforatble with what he wants to do. Hes got an unbelievable arm and athletism..u cant take that away from him

as long as he wins..people shouldnt be saying "hes a bad QB" they could do a lot worse with a decent QB without the athletism

i think Vick is a great PLAYER. if you consider a QB a guy who can consistently pass for X amount of yards and accuracy..then maybe hes not a good QB. But if your like me and consider a good QB a guy who can lead your team to victories..then hes a solid 1 imo

I agree, winning is what matters. I don't think he plays a style that can win a Superbowl but leaving the style out of the equation the kid wins over 62% of his games. But still he is no Tom Brady!

I live in Virginia Tech territory which is the Vick ballwashing capitol of the world. I will give him his due today, (although i only saw the 4th and OT) He played well but the squeelers made some terrible mental mistakes (especially polamalu) If the squealers would have "stayed home" so to say, they would have been a lot more succesful--but instead they kept trying to pursue vick and let him beat them.

Remix 6 said:
you pay contracts to players who win games for you. Vick that guy. you dont pay. his record isnt 11-10 as a starter..check again. without him their record has been a lot worse..negative in win-loss percantage compared to him starting. getting 900 yards rushing while also being able to throw is a major weapon. i watched the Giants game and his WRs dropped like 4 easily catchable balls..hes not as bad a thrower as people say he is

You're right, it's over the last two years (this season and last) that his record as a starter is 11-10. My fault for passing along bad info, but the point still stands. That's not the record of a QB who "just wins games". It's not even close. You want to know who "just wins games"? Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, Drew Brees - they just win games. You want to know who doesn't? Michael Vick, that's who. All of those QBs are paid less, but all win more.

He's being paid as though he were the best QB in football, but he plays far from that. Some of that is coaching. However, most of that is on Vick. He's had what? Three different OCs? He can't adjust to any of them? There's no talent at the WR position? Hogwash. There's enough talent there and at the TE position. He also has a great backfield and a pretty stout defense (most weeks) for support. At some point the excuse well dries up. The man had to put up or shut up. Sign a 10 year, 130 million dollar contract and that's what is expected of you - dominance. He hasn't dominated anything, save the ranks of mediocrity. Any metric you want to measure him by will tell you that he is a fairly ineffective QB.

Judging him as a RB, well, that's a different story. . .

Last edited:
Ahriman said:
You're right, it's over the last two years (this season and last) that his record as a starter is 11-10. My fault for passing along bad info, but the point still stands. That's not the record of a QB who "just wins games". It's not even close. You want to know who "just wins games"? Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, Drew Brees - they just win games. You want to know who doesn't? Michael Vick, that's who. All of those QBs are paid less, but all win more.

He's being paid as though he were the best QB in football, but he plays far from that. Some of that is coaching. However, most of that is on Vick. He's had what? Three different OCs? He can't adjust to any of them? There's no talent at the WR position? Hogwash. There's enough talent there and at the TE position. He also has a great backfield and a pretty stout defense (most weeks) for support. At some point the excuse well dries up. The man had to put up or shut up. Sign a 10 year, 130 million dollar contract and that's what is expected of you - dominance. He hasn't dominated anything, save the ranks of mediocrity. Any metric you want to measure him by will tell you that he is a fairly ineffective QB.

Judging him as a RB, well, that's a different story. . .

Was it on HBO this past week he actually called out his OC and said he would like to be able to call his own plays at the LOS? He actually said, "if they allowed me to do that I would put in the work, it might take more time but I would be willing to put in the time" WOW, great...you can't even grasp the offense now. (maybe you could put in the time NOW and learn one thing first?) Maybe he should concentrate on being a real NFL QB first. Vick is NOT carrying this team on his back and "winning" the games. Many times he does everything he can to LOSE it for his team. He is a turnover machine. 13 million a year...what over 10% of the CAP for one player? Does he "earn" his money? Not even close for his play and its effect on his team. His "breakout performance" today he had a short field on almost every scoring drive..3 out of 5 of the TD drives were less than 26 yards!!! He gets his balls washed more than Farvre....but at least Farvre did put together a HOF career (that he is ruining right now) does anyone think that vick will end up in the HOF.....not a chance.

Umm guys....as I was just told on another thread, this stuff belongs on the inter league forum. Good points, all, though.

shirtsleeve said:
Umm guys....as I was just told on another thread, this stuff belongs on the inter league forum. Good points, all, though.

This is why I post little in these forums.. To many rules.. BUT OF COURSE THE "WHOS THE SEXIEST CHEERLEADER" stays..

Remix 6 said:

I would like to revise this statement. Vick "just wins" against bad teams. In his career he is 9-17-1 against quality opponents.

(Quality opponents are those with winning records.)

Last edited:
NEM said:
I watched the highlights of that game and was very surprised.

Mike Vick is a tremendous talent, but I have never considered him to have bonafide NFL Quarterback abilities as a passer. And, I always felt he took way too much into his own hands.

Tday, I watched the highlights and it seemed to me that, for one of the very few times, he used his pocket well, instead of making a quick exit to run the ball, and his passes were hard, straight and on target.

We might be on the verge of seeing a NEW Michael Vick.l

The probelm with watching the highlights is he is a media darling and I think they are under contract to only show vick looking good. I've watched a few Falcons games this year and I wouldn't take vick as a backup QB...not even a running back (fumbles big time and not durable if he wasn't scrambling) He still had just 200 yards passing, yes 4 TDs but 3 of them were on a short field of 25, 26 and 18 yards. He had a game like this last year where the media proclaimed it his "breakout" game and he proceeded to lead them to a 8-8 record...like another poster pointed out he is 9-17 against teams with a winning record. One game, he will continue to be at the bottom of the rankings for QBs at the end of the year just like every other year he has been in the league....and the Falcons won't win anything until Shaub becomes the starting QB. He does have a rocket for an arm though, to bad he has the head of a stone.

NEM said:
LIke I said, I have never been a VBick fan and still dont consider him a bona fide NFL QB, as you dont either, from what I can gather.

But from what I saw today, he did hang in the pocket on those TD throws, and they were "bullets." Is he gonna change? I doubt it.

Oh when he completes a pass it looks great because like I said has a rocket for an arm, it looks pretty. Problem is that he can't read a defense and ATL gives him all day to throw in the games I have watched and he still gets sacked fumbles and gets INTs. The TD throws today if you noticed he really didn't have anyone in his face he threw from the pocket and it was a good pocket 98% of the NFL QBs including backups could have completed those passes ( I will admit they wouldn't have looked as good doing it) He is a great athlete, just not a very good QB and certainly not one deserving of the ball washing and 13 million a year.

pats-blue said:
The probelm with watching the highlights is he is a media darling and I think they are under contract to only show vick looking good. ................. He had a game like this last year where the media proclaimed it his "breakout" game and he proceeded to lead them to a 8-8 record.........and the Falcons won't win anything until Shaub becomes the starting QB. He does have a rocket for an arm though, to bad he has the head of a stone.

Unfortunately as AFN would not show the Pats I had to watch most of this game. So I can tell you it was NOT JUST THE HIGHLIGHTS.

I am not a vick ball washer. He is a great athlete and (to date) a poor QB. Yesterday he was an above average QB. He played within himself and wasn't always looking to take off down on his feet. He was actually looking to pass.

He still doesnt have much pocket presence per se and I am not sure he looks off the defense all the time (staring at a receiver); but he showed a lot of different abilities - zipping in the 30-40 yard pass; touch pass to the tight end; shovel pass to the RB; and of course hitting the almighty slant passes. He did have a few drops that were spot on the money. Normally when I see falcons drop his passes they were behind or in front of the receiver.

The KEY QUESTION remains though can he be consistent. If he can play like yesterday every week; the Falcons will win 75% of their games. We shall see.

Gumby said:
Unfortunately as AFN would not show the Pats I had to watch most of this game. So I can tell you it was NOT JUST THE HIGHLIGHTS.

I am not a vick ball washer. He is a great athlete and (to date) a poor QB. Yesterday he was an above average QB. He played within himself and wasn't always looking to take off down on his feet. He was actually looking to pass.

He still doesnt have much pocket presence per se and I am not sure he looks off the defense all the time (staring at a receiver); but he showed a lot of different abilities - zipping in the 30-40 yard pass; touch pass to the tight end; shovel pass to the RB; and of course hitting the almighty slant passes. He did have a few drops that were spot on the money. Normally when I see falcons drop his passes they were behind or in front of the receiver.

The KEY QUESTION remains though can he be consistent. If he can play like yesterday every week; the Falcons will win 75% of their games. We shall see.

OH I wasn't saying that it was an optical allusion that he looked good. I meant that even if he has a bad game (most of them, just not this last one where he did a "good" job) they only show the highlights where he does something good. He also threw 2 INTs this game and like you said he was above avg QB this game.

"Above average" for all the hype and 13 million a year? Isn't he the highest paid player in the game? Thats my point. I also hear the if he can play like that all the time every season that he puts a good game together right along with he has finally got the offense down so look out for M Vick! Then he proceeds to be the same QB...which isn't very good. He just is WAY OVER hyped and made excuses for...he isn't even remotely in Brady, Brees, Manning, Mcnabb, Schaub (put in here since he really should be the starter by talent as a QB), or Hasselbeck league yet makes more than all of them and is more hyped than all. Manning and Brady are close for hype but they both DO things to deserve it vick??? NO

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes