Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mike Smith Coach of the Year (BB gets one vote)

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by JoePats, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoePats

JoePats Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

2. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

#51 Jersey

Wasn't Peyton Manning eligible? I'm outraged. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

4. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

He won in 2003 as well, I believe.
  5. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Thanks. I thought maybe he had another one, too lazy to look it up. Certainly well deserved.
  6. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The one vote for coach B was from Bob Costas. I've seen Costas slobber over Tony Dungy more than once. Good that he could recognize what Belichick did this (last) year.

“I didn’t think he would win, but I thought he deserved a nod for what might have been the best, or certainly one of the best coaching jobs of his career,” Costas said. “He loses [Tom] Brady, and it’s not just losing Brady, but also that [Matt] Cassel basically never played. It’s not the same thing as losing Johnny Unitas and you have Earl Morrall. He brought the kid along.

Vote for Belichick was cast by Bob Costas - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Bob Costas is a wise man...
  8. Richter

Richter Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Honestly, no one did a better coaching job than Belichick this year, but they just weren't going to give it to him again. Mike Smith and Sporano are both legitimate candidates, but neither guy took a guy who hadn't started since high school and won 11 games. I used to defer to some of the great coaches of the past when ranking Belichick among them, but now, he's number one in my mind, the best coach ever.
  9. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Speaking of Dungy, I hear him getting a lot of grief on ESPN radio and other sports talk shows. Why didn't he do better with arguably the best QB of all time (sic); has just two conf. championship game appearances and one SB win? Blah, blah, blah. If nothing else, it helps keep this guy out of Bill Belichick's league in discussions for all time coach consideration.
  10. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'll bet you both the Falcons and Dolphins take a step back next year-no doubt both were very good this year, but they overachieved with somewhat mediocre talent.

No doubt they have excellent coaching staffs, but they're going to feel the growing pains next year. As you've seen at times during the year and in that AZ playoff game, Atlanta's D was less than stellar(even the lowly Rams O was moving on them like clockwork the week before). Miami also has some gaping holes on both sides of the ball.

Ironically, in Tuna's first year in Dallas, he took them to the playoffs with a 10-6 record despite a very bad QB/RB, and a mediocre DL. Guess what happened the year after? Yep...6-10, and Tuna realized a year too late he had to scrap the entire 53 man roster. I can see his Fins go 5-11 next year. Oh-noodle arm Pennington isn't a long term solution, so he better get a QB in the draft!
  11. belichickaholic

belichickaholic Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Do Smith and Sporano win 11 games if they have 14 players on IR? I'm guessing no. Belichick was robbed but I doubt he even cares. Good for Costas for voting for him though, I thought he was a Belichick hater especially after he killed him last year with the cheating BS.
  12. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

the phins dont pass .500 next yr

i think the falcons will again make the Playoffs
  13. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

iam surprised at costas. he is the one who ragged bb for not shaking mannings hand after the AFCCG which infact BB did and criticized him number of times when comparing to dungy.
  14. Watson's IQ

Watson's IQ Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I think robbed is putting it a bit strongly. Would BB have been a worthy choice? Absolutely. But Sporano turned a 1 win team into an 11 win team, and Smith rode a rookie QB to the playoffs (I might argue this is just as tough as doing it with Cassel, who at least had the benefit of learning from Tom Brady). Both were worthy candidates.

Everyone knows this award usually goes to the coach that exceeded expectations the most (except in obvious cases like BB last year), so it shouldn't be much of a surprise who won. I won't lose any sleep over it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.