PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Silver: Tom Brady, Bill Belichick Could Part If Patriots Falter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mort and SMY have been quoted as saying "where there is smoke there is fire" today. You're in "good" company.

You can disagree with me directly no need to take a shot. I hope the reports are total nonsense as much anyone. These guys are the best in the business, who the hell wants to see that end. Where are all of these reports coming from and why is there so much chatter? There wasn't a peep in 2012 when they were 3-3.

The whole "where there is smoke there is fire" idiom for this is completely stupid.

Of course there appears to be smoke because they are the ones starting the fire and fanning it.

LOL, right on the money, that is exactly what has happened.

You can disagree with me directly no need to take a shot. I hope the reports are total nonsense as much anyone. These guys are the best in the business, who the hell wants to see that end. Where are all of these reports coming from and why is there so much chatter? There wasn't a peep in 2012 when they were 3-3.
because brady's age and bb sending mankins packing has let the media run with these theories without any basis. Its a sensational topic which gets everyone in. thats the difference between 2012 and now.

Not taking a shot at you, , just just the phrase "where there is smoke there is fire". Brady is a realist and adjusts his salary demands to what he thinks is reasonable. It will be interesting to see if that stays in line what what BB thinks is reasonable, and how that compares to what the Krafts think is reasonable.

I have no clue how this will end.

What I do know is :

- The Krafts can save real $$$ by trading him.
- The Patriots can save cap space by trading him (per Miguel tweet at bottom).
- The Patriots can get something (presumably draft picks) for him.
- Garrapolo is on the roster presumably ready by next year.

Will they trade him ? Who knows but there are a lot of reasons to take the possibility seriously.

[email protected] ‏@patscap Oct 5
As of now his 2016 cap hit is scheduled to be $14 million, therefore a post 6/1/15 trade creates cap Space in both 2015+2016

But if they were to cut him..were willl that $$ go? To a new QB? WR for Jimmy G? They have 14 mill now don't they...so could get 25-30+ then

I don't know Silver much...is he usually pretty good or no?

I know a lot of these reports are probably bogus but some may have some truth and i am trying to prepare myself for the worst..but hope for the best. 2 years ago i would say to anyone no chance he leaves this team. But now? I could defiantly see it unfortunately. But i hope i never see it.....but drafting Jimmy G so high.

No won't happen.....well. ugh i hate thinking about this topic...

because brady's age and bb sending mankins packing has let the media run with these theories without any basis. Its a sensational topic which gets everyone in. thats the difference between 2012 and now.

I truly hope so. The media does spin everything different now that Brady is in his late 30's. He's still a stud Bill knows he's special.

But if they were to cut him..were willl that $$ go? To a new QB? WR for Jimmy G? They have 14 mill now don't they...so could get 25-30+ then
The salaries would just go away. Over two years the Krafts would save a combined $15M.

The cap space would go to the usual place, FA, re-signing our own, etc. Or they could "use" it to take the full dead money hit in 2015 if they traded him before 6/2/15, pick up draft picks in the trade and get the full $14M in cap savings in 2016.

My guess - and I'm just playing along - is they would do the latter, trade him early, use the saved up cap space to take the big hit in 2015 and be free and clear heading into 2016. Trading him early would also make him more appealing to a new team to get him in quicker. Obviously I have no idea WHAT they will do but there are legitimately good reasons to do this IF AND ONLY IF they really like Jimmy G.

And whats falter?....9-7? Another blowout or two? First round exit?

Doesn't really say other then blowout like KC game

Trading him early would also make him more appealing to a new team to get him in quicker. Obviously I have no idea WHAT they will do but there are legitimately good reasons to do this IF AND ONLY IF they really like Jimmy G.

Well i think we know the answer to that....they are big into Jimmy G (look where he was drafted) and i don't blame them. Was awesome in preseason and good when he came in vs KC. For a rookie he gets it for the most part and has such a quick release and can read Ds pretty well from what we saw.

idk like i said i hate thinking about my all time favorite player in sports...idol...leave this team..gives me a headache thinking about it but whatever happens and no matter where he goes..he will always be a patriot and retire a patriot and should have his # retired here IMO

Last edited:
Its all part of the media storm surrounding the fact that they all wound up looking so stupid....you should have seen the dopes on the MNF pregame spin was in full force with Jackson doing his usuasl uh_huh

Not happening for a while

Where there's smoke there's fire.

Does this also apply in a report in which the writer makes numerous factual errors. For instance, the Patriots only brought in Revis. As opposed to the Broncos fantastic signing of Talib. Who is Brandon Browner? No one has ever heard of him. Or, why not ask Tommy Kelley if he had an incentive laden contract, which would make it worthwhile to sit Kelley and save money. Heck, we're talking about preseason games here.

It was pretty obvious to me in the article that Silver was shooting from the hip with no backup.

This is the same Mike Silver who reported a rift between the Patriots and Brady that was going to lead to him signing some where else days before he became the highest paid player in the NFL in 2010. His source on Brady/the Patriots, if you even believe that he has one, is worse than worthless.

Silver, Florio and Mort should get together and wherever they get together hopefully it will just fly away...

The whole "where there is smoke there is fire" idiom for this is completely stupid.

Of course there appears to be smoke because they are the ones starting the fire and fanning it.

I'm borrowing this thought from someone else, but it used to be that the media would dig for the actual "fire." Now, it's enough to report the "smoke" as fact, regardless if the story is based on speculation or not.

Did Silver just recycle his article from a few years ago about the 'disconnect' between Brady and the Patriots?

Did every other media outlet re-report it with the implication that it was fact?

Admittedly every media outlet that is not the first to file a response column is caught between a rock and a hard place. If they don't re-report it, then it appears that they are asleep at the wheel, because all of their competition has a new column in response, but they don't. On the other hand, it gets re-reported as factual without the normal verifying of sources - and all the secondary media outlets are able to wash their hands of having to do that, since they are quoting someone else (such as Silver), and simply say: Report: blah blah blah.

BIGBENTONGUE.gif

Terrible, terrible piece of "work".

As for BB wanting to coach post-Brady -- that's a legitimate point to raise vs. the idea that he'll retire whenever Brady does, which I always thought was silly. BB loves what he's doing. His father stayed active in coaching even after reaching retirement age. I could see BB and the Krafts agreeing that there will be more investment in other execs as BB ages, to perhaps slightly reduce BB's workload, but that's about it.

- The Krafts can save real $$$ by trading him.
- The Patriots can save cap space by trading him (per Miguel tweet at bottom).

Not really. They save $7 to $9 million a year in salary, but you have to go sign a QB. Even a crappy NFL veteran back up is going to cost you $5 million a year, probably more a couple years from now. So, the "savings" is maybe a couple million a year. In an ideal world, you'd rather have Brady continuing to play at a high level for another season or two, although it could be enticing to trade a cap hit for a mother lode of high draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes