PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Shanahan Praises Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Shanny. And i'm not just jumping on the bandwagon. I think Maroney has more POTENTIAL to be one of the best backs in the league.

Ceresco said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/04/30/mmqb.draft/

From Shanahan about Laurence Maroney. "I loved him,'' Shanahan said. "I think the Patriots got a steal. An absolute steal. I think he's going to be the best back in the league.''

wow, i would have been amazed if he said that Maroney would be the best back in this draft with all the hype of Bush, but to say that he's going to be the best back in the league speaks volumes of how he feels about the kid. Now i'm not so disappointed that we didn't take DeAngelo Williams instead! lol. The more i hear and read about Maroney, the more I agree that this was the best value and best pick for us at 21!

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
************. That is some kind of statement.
The Son of Gods name should not be used in such a way.Thats very offensive.

BradyBirdYazOrr said:
Yeah, whatever.

anyone runs for a 1000 yds in denver so easy for him to say :)

SVN said:
anyone runs for a 1000 yds in denver so easy for him to say :)
Except that he didn't say he'd be the best in the league if he played for him ;)

re

Maybe I pay too much attention to vocabulary, but Shanahan said he would, not could, be the best back in the league. That's a lot coming from a running back guru.

I believe we got a steal as well. Bush never had a heavy workload, and Bush and Williams are smaller physically than Maroney. Multiple scouting reports mention the same thing: that Maroney is a threat to score from any point on the field at any time. That is pretty much the best thing someone can say about a running back. Ohio State had 3 defensive first rounders this year, and Maroney had a 200+ yard game with over forty carries against them. Maroney is a stud.

A double benefit I love from this pick is that we also screwed over the Colts. Polian had Maroney as his RB to replace Edge, but now he's stuck with Addai, who is good but not as special.

maverick4 said:
Maybe I pay too much attention to vocabulary, but Shanahan said he would, not could, be the best back in the league. That's a lot coming from a running back guru.
As irritating as Shanahan is, I think he's probably the second best HC in the game in terms of Xs and Os. Which is one reason I was a little uncertain about trading for Lelie. Any player Shanahan wants to dump likely has peaked.

BelichickFan said:
As irritating as Shanahan is, I think he's probably the second best HC in the game in terms of Xs and Os. Which is one reason I was a little uncertain about trading for Lelie. Any player Shanahan wants to dump likely has peaked.
Actually shanny is a joke and what has he won since Elway?

BradyBirdYazOrr said:

I think Belichick is a mere mortal, though extraordinary.

re

By the way, that is good of Peter King to have his MMQB up already. I hate it when some columnists wait to post their regular columns in the afternoon or a little later than I expect.

As for the knock on Shanahan... what are you talking about!?
Shanahan has two superbowl rings, and he was also an assistant on previous superbowl winners.

Aside from his inability to develop cornerbacks and safeties, as well as an average drafting record, I'd say he's a very smart coach. When the Broncos beat the Pats in the playoffs, I thought the Broncos had run some very clever plays on both sides of the ball to expose us.

They asked Borges tonight on Sports Extra if Maroney was just the second rated back on some boards or if it was more widespread - and he said everyone he had talked to had him second behind Bush with just a few giving Williams the edge. He also said that Shannahan had thought about taking him with his first pick before the whole QB scenario unfolded and Cutler fell within his reach. He had also planned (as BB apparently had surmised) to take Jackson if he was unable to get the deal done on Walker. But that deal was done apparently just before we traded up.

BradyBirdYazOrr said:
This message is hidden because BradyBirdYazOrr is on your ignore list.
Ahh, life is good :)

I had Maroney rated as the next best back after Bush but since the Pats "never" take RB in the first round I shelved him as a possibilty at 21. Glad I was wrong. Happy, no thrilled to have him in Foxboro. Dillon needs a decent year to ease the kid in and I think he will deliver. 800-1,000 yards would be perfect production for Dillon. Nice 1-2 punch at RB this year........:rocker:

BradyBirdYazOrr said:

God **** you're a funny guy. I think I laugh at everyone of your posts. Unfortunately I think you just piss everyone else off?

BradyBirdYazOrr said:
]

I agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill