PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Shanahan benches Griffin, makes Cousins Washington Redskins starting QB

"Do you know who Wally Pipp is?"

Good for him. RGMe needs to be benched at this point. That said...

1. It won't save Shanahan's job.

2. It won't gain him any favor with Washington's megalomaniac owner.

3. It should only stand to hurt their draft position as the offense should conceivably improve with Cousins under center.

Like hitting the brakes on a car that's already flipped over the guardrail. This is Shanahan's last ditch effort to show he's still the boss in light of RG3's recent comments. Too little too late.

2 things Redskins front office should address asap:

1 - Fire Shanahan.

2 - Invest some money on the quality of that field or change the natural grass for artificial.

How can they be so stupid, they invest money, huge draft picks and the planning for the next decade on a runner QB with a history of knee surgery and let that field that looks like a farm, the worst in NFL. No surprise RG3 got his knee blown again in his first season. He will never be the same and at this point working only on the pocket I rank him below average.

The thinking in some quarters is that Shanahan's trying to get himself fired, because that would force the Redskins to pay him the $7M he's owed for next year (if he resigns, he doesn't get it).

The thinking in some quarters is that Shanahan's trying to get himself fired, because that would force the Redskins to pay him the $7M he's owed for next year (if he resigns, he doesn't get it).

I don't blame him. That franchise is a trainwreck and he's dealing with insane megalomaniac manchild Dan Snyder who's also letting the QB - who's regressed mightily after a good rookie season and appears to have injury issues - run the team.

I think it would be absolutely hysterical if RG3 turned into a complete bust and Cousins an amazing franchise QB:D

What does it say about RGIII as a qb if he needs his 4.3 speed to be effective?

Collinsworth said it best during one of the SNF games, "RGIII scrambles to run, Wilson scrambles to pass."

Robert Griffin the Third Stringer.

3. It should only stand to hurt their draft position as the offense should conceivably improve with Cousins under center.

Snyder is a worse owner, if not equal to than Jerry Jones is. Al Davis is looking up proud.

Mr._Burns.png

I think it would be absolutely hysterical if RG3 turned into a complete bust and Cousins an amazing franchise QB:D

Rumor is, Snyder powerplayed for RGme, Shanny wanted Cousins.

Shanny was hated in Denver, now I actually empathize the guy.

Look forward to seeing Cousins play. Maybe it didn't have to come at RG3's expense but he definitely did not deserve to sit behind the 2013 version of RG3 this season to protect RG3's ego and brand. That entire Redskins team deserved better. All 53 men.

Ever since I saw and learned about Cousins, I saw the same look in the eye I see in Brady and the same professionalism. Looks like a winner, but unlike others I have seen that in like Tebow, he actually appears to have the passing accuracy, crispness, and QB acumen to back up that willpower.

I see him starting eventually for some team, somewhere.

1.) Snyder gave Shanahan the keys to the kingdom and stepped away from the team. The cluster that is the Redskins is almost all Shanahan, and sheds a lot of light on why the guy has done almost nothing since his meal ticket (Elway) retired.

2.) RGIII was rushed back before he was ready, and without an offseason, as just a second year player. Despite that, his numbers are right about where Tannehill's are. He hasn't nose dived down into Mark Sanchez/Geno Smith territory.

3.) For all the shots being taken at Griffin, the truth is that the offense is the strength of Redskins. It may be a lowly 23rd in the league in scoring, but the defense is 32nd in scoring defense and the special teams are some of the worst we've ever seen.

Shanahan's playing games in order to save his money, rather than doing what's best for the team. When Griffin should have been on the bench (First weeks of the year, end of last year), Shanahan played him. Shanahan may have permanently damaged a young player's leg and career, and, even though it won't happen, I hope he finds that he's never able to get another NFL job.

Snyder is a worse owner, if not equal to than Jerry Jones is. Al Davis is looking up proud.

Neither Jones nor Davis are really in the same category as Snyder. Yes, Davis and Jones took active roles in their teams, but the success of their franchises was the most important thing (especially true for Davis). Their meddling, while misguided, is (was) ultimately for what they thought was best for the product on the field and their fanbase.

Snyder is completely about himself. He's a petty, unlikable tyrant. Every player who played for Al Davis loved him. Everyone who plays for Dan Snyder hates him. And he'll probably try to sue me for libel just for writing this.

Though I do agree with DI, the way Shanahan utilized RG3 was... not the best.

What does it say about RGIII as a qb if he needs his 4.3 speed to be effective?

Collinsworth said it best during one of the SNF games, "RGIII scrambles to run, Wilson scrambles to pass."

But Wilson is essentially Doug Flutie... if Flutie had been allowed to play in the NFL in his prime and not relegated to spot duty (and eventually leaving for Canada) because of his size.

Starter: Cousins (soon to be exposed as the most overrated #2 int he NFL)

Backup: RGIIIandout
Backup: RGIIIstring

lololololololol

I actually think this is smart. Why not give Cousins a shot. Showcase him for a few games, if he does well maybe you can recover some much needed draft picks.

I actually think this is smart. Why not give Cousins a shot. Showcase him for a few games, if he does well maybe you can recover some much needed draft picks.

Trading RG3 right?

His job is long gone. Rumor was he had cleaned out his **** preparing to quit over Snyder's preferential treatment of RGIII.

This is Shanahan realizing he's going out so he's going to go out his own way not cowtowing to an idiot owner and a 2nd year QB who suddenly became too big for his britches.

I loved RGIII too, but he hasn't handled this season's struggles at all.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back