PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss report on yesterday's game

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
On video Reiss discussed the game shortly after it ended and says Paris Lenon's goof on the goaline jumping up and out of place and letting the QB get in for the score could add consideration from him not making the team

Also discussed how Bruschi was a non-factor and was a bit sluggish,how Alex Smith was again a non-factor but how David Thomas has stepped up into a larger role on the team and how the run defense which he expects to be very good this year played well but he says there are some big glaring gaping holes in the secondary and that is a major concern heading into the regular season.

He did point out that Bodden looked good but the rest of the secondary played less than acceptible.

He liked the way Chung bounced back in the punt return which led to the winning FG after the early miscue

No real idea of how Brady is except that he believes that the coach is telling the truth that Brady is just banged up but he does not buy the story that Brady was not intended to start he 2nd half,Brady was expected to play in the first series of the 3rd quarter but they were cautious and sent him off the field. - He does not think its serious

Last edited:
Re: Mike Reiss report on yesterdays game

The secondary is a work in progress. No one could reasonably expect that all of these new players could fit in seamlessly after only 1 training camp and 1 preseason game. I am quite confident that they will be rounding into form before too long. By midseason, they'll be a far more cohesive unit. Those gaping holes we saw Cooley running through will not exist.

honestly....???

i dont think the secondary did as bad as ppl say...

JC was on fire, it wasnt us, his passes were crist and on the mark
Moss and randall el played incredibly good as well, cooley only did good on one play, and it was b/c of broken coverage

wilhite had a bad day, but after the very beginning played pretty well

what i didnt like was that the cb's were again giving a lot of space to recievers pre-snap....ill ALWAYS hate that

I have always been a strong believer that the front seven control the defense (I think Belichick agrees with me). If the front seven are creating havoc and forcing the QB to get rid of the ball too quick and not survey the field, the secondary will look like superstars even when they are not (see 2004 with two inexperienced CBs starting). If the QB has all day, Champ Bailey and Nnamdi Asomugha can look like scrubs.

I think it will be key for the Pats to get pressure on opposing QBs especially early. I think the secondary should still be a significant improvement over last year, but it may take a bit of time.

On video Reiss discussed the game shortly after it ended and says Paris Lenon's goof on the goaline jumping up and out of place and letting the QB get in for the score could add consideration from him not making the team
Yeah, I heard him say that, and of course it won't help him, but it's not like he was out of position, lacked speed, consistently uses poor technique, always gets overwhelmed by blockers, gets confused by the speed of the game -- all the real reasons for cutting players. He bit on a fake and leapt in the air when he should have kept his feet on the ground. OK. They still need depth at ILB.

Yeah, I heard him say that, and of course it won't help him, but it's not like he was out of position, lacked speed, consistently uses poor technique, always gets overwhelmed by blockers, gets confused by the speed of the game -- all the real reasons for cutting players. He bit on a fake and leapt in the air when he should have kept his feet on the ground. OK. They still need depth at ILB.

Yeah, I don't think that will be the deal breaker. I thought he had a decent evening last night. Right now, as much as I hate to say it, I would take him over Bruschi on the roster.

My impressions on the secondary: Bodden was inconsistent in coverage and, for the second week in a row, whiffed on a tackle and gave up a big play. Not a good sign for someone who is supposed to be our more physical corner. Sanders is a solid tackler but not a playmaker. He does not anticipate well, and gave up a first down by dropping too deep despite a fierce rush. Meriweather is at a higher level now than the rest. Wilhite looks inexperienced but quick and talented. Butler looks very raw but with unmatched speed and quickness. I did not notice Wheatley mcuh, which is fine. They need time, both individually and as a unit. I expect Chung to work into the mix throughout the season, which could give them 4 playmakers. All in all, very unpolished but obvious talent with a big upside.

At LB, I think Bruschi has an uphill battle to make the roster. I thought Lenon moved well and I think he will stick. Mayo and AD are stars, but Guyton did not impress. TBC and Burgess look strong on the outside and should open interior lanes for the big guys. Pass rush will be greatly improved.

Last edited:

My impressions: Bodden was inconsistent in coverage and, for the second week in a row, whiffed on a tackle and gave up a big play. Not a good sign for someone who is supposed to be our more physical corner. Sanders is a solid tackler but not a playmaker. He does not anticipate well, and gave up a first down by dropping too deep despite a fierce rush. Meriweather is at a higher level now than the rest. Wilhite looks inexperienced but quick and talented. Butler looks very raw but with unmatched speed and quickness. I did not notice Wheatley mcuh, which is fine. They need time, both individually and as a unit. I expect Chung to work into the mix throughout the season, which could give them 4 playmakers. All in all, very unpolished but obvious talent with a big upside.
I agree with all that. I also would have liked to have seen Shawn Springs on the field - what is wrong with him anyway? Isn't he supposed to be our #1 corner? Have we seen him on the field at all this preseason?

One thing that gets lost is the fact that most of the secondary has not played together for more than a season, if that.

Give them a few games to gel and get used to the Patriot system - by the time the stretch run hits, they will be a force - not to mention our offense is a great defense as well.

Tackling seems weak - that's my biggest problem - however, that may just be a product of preseason football.

Last edited:

One thing that gets lost is the fact that most of the secondary has not played together for more than a season, if that.

Give them a few games to gel and get used to the Patriot system - by the time the stretch run hits, they will be a force - not to mention our offense is a great defense as well.
Tackling seems weak - that's my biggest problem - however, that may just be a product of preseason football.

Precisely! I know most of us on here are mainly homers and junkies waiting for or next fix and preseason helps to satisfy that, but it is exactly that....preseason.

CORNERS

BODDEN is our #1 corner. We brought him in to do that for a year while the kids develop. He's here and look better when full defensive schemes are in place. Besides, corners are not only judged on bereakdowns. They are judged on all the plays where they were on field. For example, if a corner is never thrown to in a game, then he had an awesome game. Bodden has played as well as any new secondary player in his first three preseason games.

SPRINGS is our #2 if Wilhite isn't ready, if not, he is the #3 or wherever belichick wants him to be. He is being paid starter money, but is worth it for the stability of having a veteran starter quality player on the roster through 2011 as the kids develop.

WILHITE is ready or not. I suspect that he isn't quite ready for TO. But he is doing fine.

BUTLER has shown signs of competence and could be our dime back or more if anyone is out.

As of now, WHEATLEY will be inactive in every game as he learns what he needs to learn, or not.
============================================
RUNNING BACKS
I don't know what you guys want out of MARONEY. He's been doing fine as a runner, receiver and returner. He performs his assignments well. TAYLOR will be fine and have his usual 3 yards a carry and then some breakout runs. FAULK, the perfect third down running back. And yes, Faulk could be the #1 for a game or two. He's fine in that role. The big question is the health of Morris.
===============================================
LINEBACKERS
BURGESS is looking better. LENON has taken three steps forward. He is now on the field and out of the tub. I expect him to stick. He is a fine, fine #4 ILB, and could start or be the #3 if the situation arises. THOMAS, MAYO, WOODS, BANTA-CAIN and GUYTON are set in their roles. It was interesting to see Guyton as an OLB in the 4-3.

This set of SEVEN linebackers is better than we had any right to expect in the beginning of the offseason. In any given game, six is about all the linebackers that get any serious reps, sometimes only five. Seven competent linebackers is a luxury.

The open question is who will fill the remaining 1-2 remaining linebacker roster spots. Obviously, a couple of months ago, Bruschi and Crable were the locks for those position. Perhaps, they still are.
==========================
BACKUP QUARTERBACKS
O'CONNELL is an experienced, talented, quarterback who has led teams for years, and has had two sets of camps and a year to learn for the coaches and from Brady. I cannot imagine how many here wanted us to not even bother with a 3rd QB (other than for the Practice Squad) because O'Connell was soooo ready. I'm certainly glad we have Walter on the squad.
============================
RECEIVERS
We're all set.
=============================
BACKUP INTERIOR LINEMEN
Given Neal's injury history, I am certainly concerned with the quality and readiness of the backup interior linemen. We carry two backups. Do we have ONE ready to step in and start if needed? Do we have ONE ready to be the gameday backup for all three positions and step in seamlessly?
==============================

==========================
BACKUP QUARTERBACKS
O'CONNELL is an experienced, talented, quarterback who has led teams for years, and has had two sets of camps and a year to learn for the coaches and from Brady. I cannot imagine how many here wanted us to not even bother with a 3rd QB (other than for the Practice Squad) because O'Connell was soooo ready. I'm certainly glad we have Walter on the squad.

You can't say, though, that things would have turned out exactly the same if they hadn't brought in Walter. [I'm not saying O'Connell would have done better/worse, merely that it changed the dynamics.]

I think I read during camp that Alexander was helping Lennon learn the Pats' system - boy, did it show on that ole Lennon performed as Campbell ran by; perfect imitation of Eric-The-Not-So-Great. :eek:

honestly....???

i dont think the secondary did as bad as ppl say...

what i didnt like was that the cb's were again giving a lot of space to recievers pre-snap....ill ALWAYS hate that

I had the same thought except that at least the closing speed of this group seems to be a good bit better than say Hobbs et al. Some of the completed throws were just really good tosses and catches. Throw in still uncertainty about he position and i think we'll see tighter coverage in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes