PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss' Opinion: Brady extension might be close

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE39

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I guess this isn't really news, but I thought it noteworthy. Tried to title it so it wasn't mis-leading.

Mike Reiss led off his latest chat with this:

The point I'd like to lead off with today is Tom Brady-based. I think this is a "hot zone" in the sense that if a contract extension is to be reached, the next 4-5 days represent a big target. On deals like these, usually player and team don't like to let it linger into the season. I think the Patriots and Brady have made significant progress on a deal and I'm interested to see if they can push it over the finish line. There is always a chance it could fall apart, but I am of the thinking that it's less about "if" and more about "when" at this point. That is my opinion.

Take it for what it is worth.

BB has said that this time of the year is typically when there is significant player movement and trades tend to be easier to execute on.

Never thought of it as a good time of year from a contractual standpoint...

Last edited:
Bold prediciton there Mikey....Obviously both sides would like it completed before he season so not really going out on a limb.

I get what he's saying but the fact is nothing has changed in the matter that effects the holdup - the lack of information about what terms a new CBA might contain. For that matter there is also the matter of how many games will you be contracting for...

Like Jonathan said to Curran you can make small miscalculations on lesser deals and skate by after the fact. Not in deals of the magnitude Manning and Brady and even Brees will entail - and all going forward. There is as much at stake for the player as the team in that respect. I think they had the general parameters worked out a long time ago. I think it's the terms and details and exact $$$ that remain problematic because they don't know what the cap will be or precisely how money will be treated under it over the next several years...

If you could just get Tom's agent and Peyton's agent to get together and work out a time and an amount then this would done.

As it is, they are both sitting there waiting on each other. I don't blame them, the agents are not stupid, neither one wants to be the first to file.

If you could just get Tom's agent and Peyton's agent to get together and work out a time and an amount then this would done.

As it is, they are both sitting there waiting on each other. I don't blame them, the agents are not stupid, neither one wants to be the first to file.

I am convinced that both agents have had a beer or two together to discuss as I don't think PM or TB care who is paid more (May be naive here) than the other....

If LeBron and D. Wade did it, so can TB and PM.

I think it's more payout, cap, etc.- related.

Last edited:
I am convinced that both agents have had a beer or two together to discuss as I don't think PM or TB care who is paid more (May be naive here) than the other....

If LeBron and D. Wade did it, so can TB and PM.

I think it's more payout, cap, etc.- related.

While I agree that both have probably talked and that I also agree that both Tom and Peyton know they are going to get buckets of cash and are not hung up on necessarily out dealing each other.

The idea that the agents are not as interested in both of those things is nuts - They get paid based on the contract - each stands to make a ton of money and neither one wants to leave money on the table that could have gone into their pockets. Not to mention negotiating these types of contracts will get you other high profile players interetsed in your services as well.

Tom and Peyton know that and I'm sure are willing to wait it out for their agents benefit as well as their own.

While the agents are certainly vested in the process, it's probably easier for this team and player to do a deal that satisfies them than it is to do one that will satisfy Tom Condon given the fact that his top ten draft cash cows aren't going to be yeilding like they used to going forward... Peyton's second deal was such a sea change it vaulted him to the top of every players agent wish list.

That said, neither of these guys was reaslitically ever going anywhere short of having a gun held to their heads and their owners know it. It's their legacy and their comfort zone and neither is interested in rocking the boat at this stage in their HOF careers. Could you see Manning absent Polian and some puppet coaching staff and his well trained binky's screech barking at a cast of egotistical strangers in an attempt to get them on board the Manning machine and absent that throwing them wholesale under the nearest bus?? LOL

While I agree that both have probably talked and that I also agree that both Tom and Peyton know they are going to get buckets of cash and are not hung up on necessarily out dealing each other.

The idea that the agents are not as interested in both of those things is nuts - They get paid based on the contract - each stands to make a ton of money and neither one wants to leave money on the table that could have gone into their pockets. Not to mention negotiating these types of contracts will get you other high profile players interetsed in your services as well.

Tom and Peyton know that and I'm sure are willing to wait it out for their agents benefit as well as their own.

I agree that the agents care about every single penny and would find gratification on a personal level knowing that their client has the most lucrative QB contract in the NFL. It's also plausible that TB and PM are letting the process play out out of respect for their agent's role in the negotiations (and also making them earn their commissions).

On the other hand, with deals of this magnitude, it is ownership who (Kraft directly as opposed to BB/Floyd directly) are the ones constructing the actual framework of the deal and doing some of the negotiating on a strategic level. With that said, both Brady and Manning strike me as men who care about their legacy and are involved in the process as much as they can handle without getting overwhelmed.

With that said, I don't think its a situation of one waiting for the other's deal to get done and more of other forces at work.

My .02$

Last edited:
I get what he's saying but the fact is nothing has changed in the matter that effects the holdup - the lack of information about what terms a new CBA might contain. For that matter there is also the matter of how many games will you be contracting for...

Like Jonathan said to Curran you can make small miscalculations on lesser deals and skate by after the fact. Not in deals of the magnitude Manning and Brady and even Brees will entail - and all going forward. There is as much at stake for the player as the team in that respect. I think they had the general parameters worked out a long time ago. I think it's the terms and details and exact $$$ that remain problematic because they don't know what the cap will be or precisely how money will be treated under it over the next several years...

Exactly.

I'd be surprised if they got anything done before a CBA is decided on, frankly.

A lot of fans will probably work themselves into a lather if that's the case, but it's no cause for concern: Brady and Kraft have a great relationship, as do Brady and Belichick.

It simply doesn't make good business sense on ANYONE'S part to batten things down, until we know what the CBA landscape is going to look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back