PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss Chat Today at 2pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm Ron Borges? said:
Can someone please ask him why he didn't report the whole AP story on McGinest and just focused on the positive stuff? I know if Borges did this the other way we would be going crazy. Reiss reported that McGinest reluctantly gave up his number but said Seau made it what is was at USC. However, he left out the quote that was the entire story when McGinest said about if he went to San Diego, 55 wouldn't have even been an option. Just more unbiased reporting from Mike Reiss. Seriously, does he still get a paycheck from PFW because he's less objective than the people who work for the team. The story is what McGinest said about his number and Reiss totally left it out. Embarassing reporting. Maybe he was too busy joining the Bill Belichick kiss my ass club but I thought he was already the president.
I'm not sure I follow your logic. How does not humiliating Willie McGinest make Mike Reiss a toady for Bill Belichick. Bill Belichick and Junior Seau called Willie McGinest and asked about use of the number. A later bitter reaction by Willie McGinest does not reflect badly on Bill Belichick, so how could Mike Reiss be showing favoritism to Bill Belichick?

By not repeating the bitter statement by Willie McGinest, Mike Reiss is not protecting Bill Belichick, he is protecting Willie McGinest.

Everyone says things in the heat of the moment, especially NFL players who are highly emotional. I dislike reporters who feel it necessary to embarrass players after catching them at an emotional time.

The story of what Willie McGinest said is out there. There is no need to repeat it at every possible opportunity, ad nauseum.

But Mike Reiss was showing consideration for Willie McGinest, not Bill Belichick.

(I just realized that because of your screen name, perhaps you are just acting like Ron Borges for a joke, saying the stupid things the real Ron Borges would say. Sometimes internet sarcasm goes over my head. If you were being intentionally stupid for a joke, I apologize).

Shmessy got his question in there, but mine went ingored!

Me: Mike, any idea why the poster on Patsfans.com known as "I'm Ron Borges?" seems so insanely jealous of you? Whaddya do, steal his girlfriend in college or something?

I was really hoping for some closure on this issue. :D

By the way, I agree brady2brown, I thought those comments that the Borges caricature took excepetion with made Willie look bad, not the Patriots. And let's not forget, this wasn't an article that IRB is referring to, it was in a bunch of "blurbs" at the end of an article. To expect him to include the entire AP story is foolish. It was a "in other news" one liner, nothing more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: Can Seau still play?

Reiss: Opinions on Seau differ depending on who you ask.

He asked you Mike! He didn't ask for what all the opinions on Seau are. He asked for your opinion and you obviously had a negative take on it so you took the easy way out as usual and gave a generic answer. What a joke. That was the most boring thing I've ever sat through. I gave it a fair chance but how many times is he going to tell us the Patriots have good tight ends and run down the starting offensive line. Wow, that's stuff you can't get any place else. What a freaking savior.

I'm Ron Borges? said:

He asked you Mike! He didn't ask for what all the opinions on Seau are. He asked for your opinion and you obviously had a negative take on it so you took the easy way out as usual and gave a generic answer. What a joke. That was the most boring thing I've ever sat through. I gave it a fair chance but how many times is he going to tell us the Patriots have good tight ends and run down the starting offensive line. Wow, that's stuff you can't get any place else. What a freaking savior.
Ok son, go back and read you're Ron Borges article if you think the best Patriots reporter's thoughts and news are boring and stupid. ;)

Last edited:
I'm Ron Borges? said:

Gee whiz. I guess Reiss is no Ron Borges.

CrazyDave said:
Gee whiz. I guess Reiss is no Ron Borges.
Maybe "I am Ron Borges?" needs to start writing for the globe.

Kdo5 said:
Maybe "I am Ron Borges?" needs to start writing for the globe.
It seems as though he feels he could do a better job.
He not a big fan of Mrs. B's reporting either.

CrazyDave said:
It seems as though he feels he could do a better job.
He not a big fan of Mrs. B's reporting either.
God forbid, how could anyone have a positive attitude in their Patriots news?

I'm having fun laughing at the depression of Red Sox Nation, they should be getting the bulk of the negative articles.

Last edited:
I'm Ron Borges? said:
He asked you Mike! He didn't ask for what all the opinions on Seau are. He asked for your opinion and you obviously had a negative take on it so you took the easy way out as usual and gave a generic answer.
Ummm... today was the first day Seau practiced with the team, wasn't it? Other than that, he hasn't been on a football field since November of last year. So based on one practice you want Reiss to form some kind of opinion, any kind of opinion just to spew something out? I'm glad he's judicious with his opinion, it makes it more valuable when it's shared.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
What a joke. That was the most boring thing I've ever sat through
See, you follow a chat like that for entertainment, which of course left you wanting, we were after info and news about our team.

AzPatsFan said:
Hey Junior *****-wipe,

Would be asking a little much for you to have ANY basis for your assinine assertions. Would it?
You wouldn't knopw jack $h1t about that ***wipe, so please... LEAVE!

And don't come back.
Hey Az, I don't really see where Pats_Nasty said anything that warrants such a vitriolic and personal attack on him. He posted his own opinion about Mike Reiss, and while it seems misinformed and I don't agree with it, I also don't think it warrants your reaction.

AzPatsFan said:
Hey Junior *****-wipe,

Would be asking a little much for you to have ANY basis for your assinine assertions. Would it?

Reiss gets most of his infortmation the old fashioned way. He works for it! Something obviously you know Jack about! You only want the TRUE DIRT. Please leave and go back to read Variety or Hollywood Photo News or whatever scandal sheet you truly love. You know, the ones that faithfully report that Paris Hilton has agreed to have a baby with the chief alien from the Planet Tattooine. Its the rock that you crawled out from underneath.. Please return to your true passion.

Its is easy to ascertain the information that Reiss gets is just due to W-O-R-K-I-N-G because of the nature of most of his information "scoops",are just information cross-checking that is available but requires some effort to get. Its obvious that he gets off his fundament digging, lke the local scribe ARE SUPPOSED TO DO, in their job descriptions, but seldom in fact do.

And don't come back.
If we all make no waves and God forbid think outside the box, this wouldn't be much of a disscusion group. Sadly over the last year that's what's happening.

I'd have to wonder about anybody that gets so upset about the presence of ONE reporter on the Pats beat that doesn't lug his rather unseemly emotional baggage through every article that he writes on the team, as Ron Borges and Nick Cafardo have done for so long.

I'd have to question the real interests of any Patriots 'fan' that gets so bent out of shape over ONE reporter that is generally pretty positive about the team.

It seems this same individual has the misshapen belief that a reporter that is constantly negative about the team is performing some kind of public service. A team, by the way, that is coming off one of the best five year runs in the history of the NFL. Some people wonder why bitter, twisted hacks like Borges and Cafardo could have found so much to complain about during that time.

Its seems at least one person thinks the media coverage of the team hasn't been critical enough.

I just think that's perverted.

Pats67 said:
I'd have to wonder about anybody that gets so upset about the presence of ONE reporter on the Pats beat that doesn't lug his rather unseemly emotional baggage through every article that he writes on the team, as Ron Borges and Nick Cafardo have done for so long.

I'd have to question the real interests of any Patriots 'fan' that gets so bent out of shape over ONE reporter that is generally pretty positive about the team.

It seems this same individual has the misshapen belief that a reporter that is constantly negative about the team is performing some kind of public service. A team, by the way, that is coming off one of the best five year runs in the history of the NFL. Some people wonder why bitter, twisted hacks like Borges and Cafardo could have found so much to complain about during that time.

Its seems at least one person thinks the media coverage of the team hasn't been critical enough.

I just think that's perverted.

Maybe he's just staying true to his screen name namesake? Or maybe he really is Ron Borges?

But either way, yeah I agree.. It is weird for anyone to hate on Reiss. The man is awesome.

Riess can report anything he wants as long as it's accurate. The key word here is "report". His "opinion" is something I don't want to see unless it's done from personal observation and he does not have an agenda.

When reporter give too much opininon based on their personal agenda that is when they stop being reporters and start being jerks.

In my opinion, Riess does things right. If he does report something "negitive" about he Patriots, I will give that more consideration than someone who is constantly giving opinions just to make themselves look good.

I hope that he contunues to be a real reporter.

I'm Ron Borges? said:

Oh, you just sound like one of those insanely jealous Globe-wannabe benchwarmers at Patriots.com. I bet Reiss "stole" your future.

Go weep on Bledsoe's shoulder.

Last edited:
I'm Ron Borges? said:

Actually RonBo, I interpret such a question as NOT asking Reiss himself but as asking what Reiss' sources have to say. Reiss answered that his sources respond all over the map, which is what I would expect given Seau's age and injury recovery.

You could be pedantic and say "depending upon whom you ask"

Last edited:
AzPatsFan said:
Hey Junior *****-wipe,

Reiss gets most of his infortmation the old fashioned way. He works for it! Something obviously you know Jack about! You only want the TRUE DIRT. Please leave and go back to read Variety or Hollywood Photo News or whatever scandal sheet you truly love. You know, the ones that faithfully report that Paris Hilton has agreed to have a baby with the chief alien from the Planet Tattooine. Its the rock that you crawled out from underneath.. Please return to your true passion.

Its is easy to ascertain the information that Reiss gets is just due to W-O-R-K-I-N-G because of the nature of most of his information "scoops",are just information cross-checking that is available but requires some effort to get. Its obvious that he gets off his fundament digging, lke the local scribe ARE SUPPOSED TO DO, in their job descriptions, but seldom in fact do.

And don't come back.

Wow. That was... uh... over the top. So far I'm batting one thousand here... one post, one inspired hissy-fit.

Calm down, dude. Seriously.

Anyway, I believe I do know what I'm talking about. I am, at present, a working (usually) writer and reporter. As a young guy trying to get into the game, I am frustrated at the direction journalism is going in now, whether it's politics, sports, or entertainment. It's all about access these days. The Whitehouse heavily favors reporters who support its agenda with it, and take it away from those who refuse to let the government control what they print. In entertainment, you're either a shill like Entertainment Weekly, giving everything glowing reviews and conducting soft-ball "blow job" interviews to appease studios and publicists, and you get all the access you want-- or your a muckracking tabloid, and have to use the sleasiest tactics available and compromise your ethics in other ways, because you get zero access from anyone -- without serious coercion.

The same is true in sports. Just look at today's chat -- when asked about an injury, Reiss doesn't have anything to say that hasn't previously been reported, or isn't a cop-out "well, he looks pretty good, but we'll have to see" kind of non-answer. He's around the compound constantly. How has he not gotten an anonymous quote from a trainer or medical guy about players' conditions? Tomase did on Bruschi, and he's got half the access Reiss gets.

As I said in my original post, I understand that at this point in the media environment, you need guys like Reiss. But don't tell me his job is harder than somebody like Tomase's -- because I know. It's 10x harder to consistently get "scoops" that aren't stamped for approval by the franchise media reps, especially when you've got a history of printing things that obviously cheese off the FO -- like anything having to do with a Patriot injury, ever.

Look, I'm not saying that Reiss doesn't work for his living. He does, very hard I'm sure. I'm just saying that by giving up some independence in terms of what he chooses to write in return for greater access to the team and information, he's working a little less hard than maybe he should be, and, what's worse, guys like him make it harder for everybody else, who aren't the "pet" reporters of whoever controls the access to whatever it is they're trying to cover.

Oh, and by the way, I agree with everyone who thinks Borges is an obnoxious hack.

I have no respect for him whatsoever.

Indulging one's private agendas in lengthy diatribes in which you rely on nothing but a few Nexis searches of people who actually did some work is not good reporting, either.

Pat_Nasty said:
Wow. That was... uh... over the top. So far I'm batting one thousand here... one post, one inspired hissy-fit.

Calm down, dude. Seriously.

Anyway, I believe I do know what I'm talking about. I am, at present, a working (usually) writer and reporter. As a young guy trying to get into the game, I am frustrated at the direction journalism is going in now, whether it's politics, sports, or entertainment. It's all about access these days. The Whitehouse heavily favors reporters who support its agenda with it, and take it away from those who refuse to let the government control what they print. In entertainment, you're either a shill like Entertainment Weekly, giving everything glowing reviews and conducting soft-ball "blow job" interviews to appease studios and publicists, and you get all the access you want-- or your a muckracking tabloid, and have to use the sleasiest tactics available and compromise your ethics in other ways, because you get zero access from anyone -- without serious coercion.

The same is true in sports. Just look at today's chat -- when asked about an injury, Reiss doesn't have anything to say that hasn't previously been reported, or isn't a cop-out "well, he looks pretty good, but we'll have to see" kind of non-answer. He's around the compound constantly. How has he not gotten an anonymous quote from a trainer or medical guy about players' conditions? Tomase did on Bruschi, and he's got half the access Reiss gets.

As I said in my original post, I understand that at this point in the media environment, you need guys like Reiss. But don't tell me his job is harder than somebody like Tomase's -- because I know. It's 10x harder to consistently get "scoops" that aren't stamped for approval by the franchise media reps, especially when you've got a history of printing things that obviously cheese off the FO -- like anything having to do with a Patriot injury, ever.

Look, I'm not saying that Reiss doesn't work for his living. He does, very hard I'm sure. I'm just saying that by giving up some independence in terms of what he chooses to write in return for greater access to the team and information, he's working a little less hard than maybe he should be, and, what's worse, guys like him make it harder for everybody else, who aren't the "pet" reporters of whoever controls the access to whatever it is they're trying to cover.

Sorry, but you just sound like a jealous woman.

Mike Reiss seems to be the only writer in this city who understands something very important. And that is that this FO is after only one thing and that's WINNING!!! They've given us every reason to beleive in them. Every decision that is made is with the best interest of the team, so that it can WIN!!

Would a writer try to embarrass Lombardi, or Auerback? Of course not. So why try to embarrass Belichick because he withholds injury info?

Belichick and his Boys are after shiny silver. Reiss gets it. Fans get it. Why can't others in the media get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back