PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss Answering questions from Patriots fans on ESPNBoston.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

weswelker#83

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Q: Hi Mike, do you think we could see BenJarvus Green-Ellis become active against Denver and let Laurence Maroney sit for a week like they did with Galloway? As well as having a rotation in the backfield, they could rotate who is inactive and use all five backs over the season. Giving each back a couple of games off during the season could only help down the stretch. -- Pete (Santa Fe, New Mexico)

A: I had a similar Maroney-based thought, Pete, but I don't think it will happen. Part of the reason I say that is that it looked like Fred Taylor might have been shaken up late in the game, so his health could factor into any decision-making with Maroney/Green-Ellis. My overall thoughts on Maroney would be summed up this way: That was a disappointing performance against the Ravens, one that has me questioning his future with this team if things don't turn around. I have generally said that Maroney deserves the benefit of the doubt because of health issues, and he remains a dynamic option when getting the ball in space. Yet what stood out to me Sunday against the Ravens was his lack of vision and instincts after taking a handoff or kickoff. He has great physical gifts, but I don't sense that he has the same feel for the game as Patriots backs Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris and Kevin Faulk.

Readers have questions about Joey Galloway and more
Mike Reiss' New England Patriots mailbag on the Week 4 victory over the Ravens. - ESPN Boston

Last edited:
Maroney is hanging by a thread at the moment. I agree that he stays this week, but if he doesn't show something he will not last much longer. With Maroney and Galloway disappointing, and Moss taken out of his deep game, the Pats currently are unable to make big plays on offense. They need to find a way to do that because it is difficult to grind out long sustained drives on a consistent basis. It is a glaring missing ingredient from their arsenal so far.

I like how he brought up this Huge stats :

Q: Could you check to see how many time the "Brady Rule", going at the knees of the QB, has been called, and how many were called against teams facing the Patriots? I'm tired of everyone saying these calls are only called to help the Patriots. If that's not available, maybe just roughing the passer calls in general. -- Jason (Maricopa, Arizona)

A: Jason, I don't have specific "Brady Rule" penalties, but specific to roughing the passer calls this season, the ESPN Stats & Analysis team passes along that there have been 22 roughing-the-passer penalties this season (which includes Mike Wright's hands to the face, which was called as unnecessary roughness but which I assume will be changed to roughing the passer). Of those 22, three have been called against Patriots opponents, and three have been called on the Patriots. So it's an even split.

Maroney is hanging by a thread at the moment. I agree that he stays this week, but if he doesn't show something he will not last much longer. With Maroney and Galloway disappointing, and Moss taken out of his deep game, the Pats currently are unable to make big plays on offense. They need to find a way to do that because it is difficult to grind out long sustained drives on a consistent basis. It is a glaring missing ingredient from their arsenal so far.

I don't think he's hanging by a thread at all. We have a solid RB by committee right now that's working fine. Maroney has tremendous value in space, and his 17 yard catch and run against the Ravens showed his value if he can get some room. A lot of people thought McGowan was "hanging by a thread" in training camp, when BB indicated that he was never in jeapardy. I don't think Maroney's in any danger of being cut, and I think his value to us is way greater than that of BJGE.

I don't think he's hanging by a thread at all. We have a solid RB by committee right now that's working fine. Maroney has tremendous value in space, and his 17 yard catch and run against the Ravens showed his value if he can get some room. A lot of people thought McGowan was "hanging by a thread" in training camp, when BB indicated that he was never in jeapardy. I don't think Maroney's in any danger of being cut, and I think his value to us is way greater than that of BJGE.

Yes, and you still think Galloway is ready to help us too. Time will tell. I think Maroney is not good even in space. He is fast, but he has no feel for daylight and little shiftiness to create it. He has enough skill to keep tempting us to wait for the speed, but he is going in teh wrong direction right now.

102 yards a game @ 3.7 ypc is hardly a high output of production.

Marony needs to pick up the pace running the football. Now.

Last edited:
Sure. Cut Maroney. Use Taylor instead until he gets hurt form overuse, then use Morris until he gets hurt as he does every year. Sign Robbie Abdullah as our feature back for the playoffs and waste yet another year of Brady-Moss.

All we need from the running game is to have play action work.

Maroney is averaging 2.9 ypc, Sammy Morris 3.2.

While that is not high, our offense isn't geared to running the ball. Use Maroney and Morris now for several carries a game each. As long as play action works, and Faulk can do the inside draws, we may go into the playoffs with Fred Taylor not worn out and actually be able to run the ball the the 3 (or 4) games that COUNT, the playoffs.

I couldn't watch the whole game, but in what I did see it didn't look like the OL was opening up a whole lot for Maroney. When he gained 2 yards it was usually a hard fought 2 yards straight ahead, strong with no dancing.

Granted Maroney has not lived up to a 1st rounder but I get the sense that the OL is much more focused and well drilled on pass protection rather than on opening up holes. The OL is going to save their energy to protect Brady - and I'm ok with that.

Focusing only on Maroney is somewhat unfair in my opinion.

zolak said that physically maroney is the biggest back we have. He think he is bigger than when he was drafted.

taylor ,morris and faulk cannot together take the pounding he can atleast be the pounder.also he gets first crack in the first quater when everyone is fresh in the defence and know they are going to run.

Bill covered this when he was asked very directly about Maroney's performance vs. the other backs. I guess Mike was too busy thinking deep thoughts and formulating his own opinion to listen, too. Bill isn't shy about that doghouse, haven't seen Maroney occupying it yet. Bill drafted him for a reason, his talent. Hasn't been able to maximize it yet but he often comments about why if you actually do listen.

If I had a dollar for every player this fan base and media has been wrong about...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back