PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss and Mike Rodak predict how the Patriots roster will look come September

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mike Reiss and Mike Rodak predict how the Patriots roster will look come Septembe

There is plenty of room on the roster for 10 defensive backs including Arrington, Wilhite AND Wheatley. Wheatly is not a grizzled old vet. If he is healthy this year, he may have a
solid future.

That is the risk. However, Wheatley has shown a lot of improvement and toughness in this camp. Wilhite has not shown that he can track the ball while on his man. He got beat a few times.

Re: Mike Reiss and Mike Rodak predict how the Patriots roster will look come Septembe

That is the risk. However, Wheatley has shown a lot of improvement and toughness in this camp. Wilhite has not shown that he can track the ball while on his man. He got beat a few times.

Agree. Wheatley also showed good ST skills in college which is important for a 4th CB. The thing that has stuck with me is Belichick trusting Wheatley the last 2 years against the Colts. I can't tell you why Wheatley hasn't gotten chances against other teams, but throwing a CB out there against the Colts makes me believe that Belichick sees something in his cover skills.

As many here have said, he's a good reporter, but a lousy clairvoyant. His predictions are almost always wrong. He should stop embarrassing himself

Well, I'll take his shortcomings. Reiss does an excellent job. i would say his judgment on personnell isn't very good, but he doesn't pick the roster.

I was amused with his solution to the Mankins situation in that thread. Glad BB and Kraft are handling that, put it that way. You coddle every player with a contract gripe and you'll have a line out your door the next year.

I have both Marques Murell and Fat Alge Crumpler getting cut on my 53 man squad.

:confused:

Mind you... A couple of bad knocks tonight and the roster can look very different come tomorrow.

I have both Marques Murell and Fat Alge Crumpler getting cut on my 53 man squad.

:confused:

Mind you... A couple of bad knocks tonight and the roster can look very different come tomorrow.

Just for clarification, are you saying that you think the Patriots will go with just 2 tight ends, or are you saying that Crumpler's going to get beaten out?

As much as I'd hate to see Sanders traded, I think this could happen. Whether it be for a player or more likely a draft pick which is then used to get either a solid player for the OL or an OLB with decent pass rush skills, you usually have to give up something to get something.

Sanders isn't going anywhere

Belichick views Sanders as a LEADER type person on this team and with the severe lack of leadership thus far why in the world would he take a player and cut him when he would be losing further leadership on a team that virtually has ZERO right now.

Not going to happen - If there is any surprise cut to come I would think McGowan is gone.

Since Brace has yet to pass his physical, can he start on the PUP? I know he's been working out with trainers, but he has yet to practice with the team.

yes, he can go on PUP and likely will

Final 60

As we move into the preseason, I like to look at a 60 man roster. After all, lots can happen and much of the final decision making depends on injuries.

My final 60 is Rodak's 53 plus Holt (on my 53), Murrell (on my 53), Wheatley (on my 53), Lockett (still injured I think), Slater (injured since Day 2), Deaderick, and Welch.

Like Rodak, I do not include Mankins or Brace. Obviously, they potentially are on the 53.

Just for clarification, are you saying that you think the Patriots will go with just 2 tight ends, or are you saying that Crumpler's going to get beaten out?

I think that Crumpler is a complete BUST from what I've seen so far and as a purely blocking TE, Myers and Gronk maybe already ahead of him.

Murrell is supposed to be a hot ST player and a piss poor LB'er. But at the cost of someone such as Slater or Wheatley who are already on the bubble as ST players, or even McKenzie???

Hope not.

I think that Crumpler is a complete BUST from what I've seen so far and as a purely blocking TE, Myers and Gronk maybe already ahead of him.

Murrell is supposed to be a hot ST player and a piss poor LB'er. But at the cost of someone such as Slater or Wheatley who are already on the bubble as ST players, or even McKenzie???

Hope not.

Are you saying our blocking tight end is a blocking tight end?

I got a good laugh out of this.

Mackenzie makes it, IMO. BB likes LB depth.

I think at least one developmental DL will make it. The vets are shaky after Wilfork (Ty Warren only because of health).

Since I'm squeezing guys onto the rosters at those positions, it doesn't look good for Law Firm and the ST WRs in my version.

Perhaps he views his lack of being able to catch as a liability that Myers does not have...perhaps he views Myers as being simply better than Crumpler...perhaps he views the rookies' lack of experience as not being a knock on them that would otherwise prevent them from beating out the grizzled veteran...

At least I hope one of those assumptions is what he believes because those are about the only valid justifications for cutting Crumpler I can see. I highly doubt BB would cut his veteran TE in favor of a former PS/TC fodder player.

Another guess at the 53-man roster, this one from Mark Farinella of the Attleboro Sun Chronicle: Sizing Up A 53-Man Roster.

Farinella did this just prior to Holt going on IR and Brace passing his conditioning test, so there would be a couple changes to his list. On offense he has the Pats going with the same five RBs as last year, and on the offensive line he has Bussey and Larsen making the squad over Ohrnberger and Wendell.

On defense he seems to have too many linebackers and not enough linemen. On the line he has Deaderick, Lewis and Pryor making the cut; at LB Williams, Woods and Murrell all make his team; and at corner Arrington and Wilhite are in while Wheatley is out.

Here's another stab at the roster coming out of training camp, this one by Greg Knopping of Pats Pulpit: Projecting A Patriots' 53-Man Roster: Version 4.0

Knopping also has the Pats going with the same five running backs from last season. He has the Pats going with only five receivers, based on the logic that Hernandez will be used almost like a receiver. On the offensive line he has Bussey making the team over Welch, and Ohrnberger and Wendell making the cut over Larsen and Ghiaciuc.

On the defensive line Knopping has Pryor, Deaderick and Brace making the team over Lewis, Weston and Love. At OLB he has Murrell making the team, and then Ninkovich taking the final spot over Woods - and he has Fletcher making the team in his final roster spot based on his versatility and instinct. Knopping has the Pats keeping six corners, with Wilhite, Wheatley and Arrington all making the team.

This early it's just an excersize in futility.......even BB doesn't know what his final 53 will look like.....

Wouldn't count out someone not currently on the roster making the final 53.

But I guess at least it's Patriot football talk....

My shot in the dark:

QB: (2) Brady, Hoyer

RB: (4) Taylor, Maroney, Morris, Faulk

WR: (6) Moss, Welker, Tate, Edelman, Price, Aiken

TE: (3) Crumpler, Hernandez, Gronkowski

OT: (4) Light, Vollmer, LeVoir, Bussey

OG/C: (6) Koppen, Neal, Kaczur, Connolly, Wendell, Ohrnberger

DL: (6) Wilfork, G. Warren, Wright, Brace, Pryor, Deaderick

OLB: (5) TBC, Cunningham, Woods, Burgess, Murrell

ILB: (5) Mayo, Guyton, Spikes, McKenzie, Fletcher

CB: (5) Bodden, Butler, McCourty, Arrington, Wheatley

S: (4) Meriweather, Chung, McGowan, Sanders

ST: (3) Ingram, Mesko, Gostkowski

Next guy on the list: Wilhite. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make it over Wheatley, Arrington, or McGowan.

Last edited:

:rofl:

I really don't see Slater staying and McKenzie going. But then I cut Slater last year and look at all he did for us.:cool:

Last edited:

NEPatriotsDraft.com gives us their latest roster projections, after this past weekend's moves: 2010 Patriots Roster Prediction 3.0 | NE Patriots Draft

On offense they have the Pats keeping four running backs, with BJGE getting cut. They have the team keeping nine offensive linemen, with Ohrnberger, LeVoir, Wendell and Bussey as the backups.

They have the Pats keeping seven players on the d-line, including Pryor, Deaderick, Lewis and Brace. There are ten linebackers listed, including Murrell and Williams. Wheatley and Arrington make the squad at corner.

Among those getting cut on this projection are Wilhite, Weston, Larsen and Welch; they also project Kaczur as ending up on IR.

OFFENSE (agree on all 25)
If Kaczur is on IR, this seems very reasonable. Wendell is there as our backup center. I might list Thomas Williams with the offense, giving him 25 positions on offense.

DEFENSE (agree on 23)
His list is reasonable. I would keep Wilhite and Woods. He cuts them for Deaderick and Ninkovich.

NEPatriotsDraft.com gives us their latest roster projections, after this past weekend's moves: 2010 Patriots Roster Prediction 3.0 | NE Patriots Draft

On offense they have the Pats keeping four running backs, with BJGE getting cut. They have the team keeping nine offensive linemen, with Ohrnberger, LeVoir, Wendell and Bussey as the backups.

They have the Pats keeping seven players on the d-line, including Pryor, Deaderick, Lewis and Brace. There are ten linebackers listed, including Murrell and Williams. Wheatley and Arrington make the squad at corner.

Among those getting cut on this projection are Wilhite, Weston, Larsen and Welch; they also project Kaczur as ending up on IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back