PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Pereira Discusses New Umpire Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. And so does Mike Pereira.

Let me say that again: One of the men who was instrumental in implementing this new rule prior to resigning as the NFL's head of officiating agrees with me that it needs to be tweaked because it does have a noticable (and unintended) impact on the offense.

I'll take Mike Pereira's opinion on this matter over yours, thank you very much. It's really that simple.

Good for you. Go away then if you aren't going to be bothered to work on your comprehension. It's that simple.

Again, you have yet to explain how the UMPIRE moving to a spot opposite the referee, when they are both moving from the LOS, adds anything more than a second to the time needed to hike the ball...

Just like you've failed to provide a QB who has openly voiced his opposition to the new rule.

OH, as for Pereira, he's been openly criticized by fans for his BS explanations and rhetoric regarding pass interference in games involving the Colts. So, while you take HIS work for it, I'll take that of common sense over yours and his any day.

Interesting quotes in that article that the O.P. should probably check out:

Polian said the tweaks necessary aren't major, and don't involve moving the official from behind the quarterback. Mainly, he said, the tweaks are about spotting the umpire, spotting the ball and getting into position.

Polian also said it's far from unusual to have an adjustment period with a new rule or a change in approach.

"It's a work in progress," Polian said. "When we make a change, whether it be a rule or a change in mechanics -- which this is -- it normally takes two seasons to see the full extent of it. We're very well aware of it ...

However, regarding my pointing to Polian:

"I am dead-set against the penalty,'' Polian told Peter King of SI.com. "It is insane. If I knew it would be this way, I'd have voted against it, and not only that, I'd have crusaded against it.''

Peyton Manning, Bill Polian rip NFL's new umpire alignment | ProFootballTalk.com

You see.... Peyton, might Peyton, is displeased, so Polian has to crack out the flip-flops.

Well, Belichick just talked about it on WEEI, and he doesn't have a problem with it, other than the possibility of it not being uniformly enforced (like the strike zone in baseball). He noted that the Patriots used the no-huddle at the end of the 3rd quarter against the Rams, and that the team had no problems with it.
He also said that 3-4 seconds could be a significant difference, so that destroys your notion that it is only 2 seconds and it doesn't matter. I notice you conveniently omiited that comment from your summary of Belichick's statements. I wonder why?
So, to play your ridiculous game, I'll take the opinion of Belichick over Pereira and Polian.
Ya know, if you gave Belichick some truth serum and sat him down and he gave the same answer, I'd say you have a point. But to take a statement he made on WEEI and consider that his honest opinion is really foolhardy (to say the least). The NFL could make a rule that said "All teams who play home games in Massachusetts must play defense with their hands tied behind their backs" and the only public reaction Belichick would have would be "Well, it is what it is and we just have to adjust our game."

Belichick is the anti-Polian. He never whines or complains, whereas Polian does so constantly. No matter what happens, all you get from Belichick is "we'll have to adjust our game." But like I said way at the start of this mess, just because the Colts are whiners doesn't mean that they don't have a point.

More of your lies. I read all the pages in the last thread.
Then why did you tell me 4 times, in your typical arrogant and condescending fashion, the defense gets a chance to substitute if the offense substitutes? Anyone who read the thread would have known that I was well aware of that rule, and that that wasn't the instances we were talking about.
Who cares about Buck (a moron), Aikman and Pereira (a known Polian /Manning Ball washer)? You've still yet to provide a single shred of evidence that another QB has taken issue with the rule.
And there we have it folks. If you think the new rule needs tweaking, you are a Polian/Manning ballwasher. :rolleyes:

Now that I'm not really involved in it anymore, I have to say... this thread is pretty entertaining. :D

Then why did you tell me 4 times, in your typical arrogant and condescending fashion, the defense gets a chance to substitute if the offense substitutes? Anyone who read the thread would have known that I was well aware of that rule, and that that wasn't the instances we were talking about.

Umm.. My posts came long after yours. So, you'd definitely be the one to know what is condescending..

And no, you didn't show that you were well aware of the rule. Not to mention that you were shown that you didn't know what you were talking about because you said then it was 3-4 seconds. Deus proved to you that it wasn't even that long. It was 1-1.5 seconds. Yet you still kept harpind on it.

And there we have it folks. If you think the new rule needs tweaking, you are a Polian/Manning ballwasher. :rolleyes:

It's amazing how poor your reading comprehension is. Either that or you aren't bright enough to understand that Mike Pereria has been a Manninig/Polian ball washer for at least the past 5 years. You'd know that if you had ever bothered to watch ANY of the shows he did on NFLN. It was clear that there was a set of rules for Manning and the Colts on PI and one for everyone else. And Pereria went out of his way to make excuses, to the point where he looked like fool.

BTW, let everyone know when you stop putting words into other people's mouths. You'll look more intelligent that way.

Wolfpack - It's amazing how you just run your mouth and avoid answering the questions asked of you. Is that because you realize that if you answered them, your whole schtick would blow up in your face?

1) On most, if not all plays, the referee starts at the line of scrimmage and moves to a position behind the QB. That takes x number of seconds for him to get there. Do you really think that it takes the UMPIRE 3-4 MORE seconds than the Referee to get to his spot? It's not like the Umpire is running a 40 yard dash..

2) Please provide a direct quote from another QB who has openly stated that the new position of the umpire is an issue.

This is the 4th or 5th time that you've been asked this and you have conveniently ignored it.

Why would any Patriot fan support the crying Pouting Manling?

He also said that 3-4 seconds could be a significant difference, so that destroys your notion that it is only 2 seconds and it doesn't matter. I notice you conveniently omiited that comment from your summary of Belichick's statements. I wonder why?

Why are you claiming I said something I didn't?

3-4 seconds COULD be a significant difference is that statement, but it ONLY TOOK 1 SECOND in the clip I showed you to get just in front of the running back, meaning 1.5 seconds would have had the official behind the running back, and I noted that it shouldn't take but 1-3 seconds (because I didn't yet have a number). A fat and slow official probably needs the extra .5 seconds to make it a round 2 seconds.

Ya know, if you gave Belichick some truth serum and sat him down and he gave the same answer, I'd say you have a point. But to take a statement he made on WEEI and consider that his honest opinion is really foolhardy (to say the least). The NFL could make a rule that said "All teams who play home games in Massachusetts must play defense with their hands tied behind their backs" and the only public reaction Belichick would have would be "Well, it is what it is and we just have to adjust our game."

Belichick is the anti-Polian. He never whines or complains, whereas Polian does so constantly. No matter what happens, all you get from Belichick is "we'll have to adjust our game." But like I said way at the start of this mess, just because the Colts are whiners doesn't mean that they don't have a point.

No, I have a point anyway, and that's what's pissing you off. You have nothing to refute the video.

As for the adjustment point, Polian said the same thing before pulling a John Kerry after his meal ticket threw a hissy fit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back