PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Mayock's mock: Nick Perry over McClellin & Hightower at 27; Harrison Smith #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Mike Mayock's mock: Nick Perry over McClellin & Hightower at 27; Harrison Smith #31

I don't like this. I don't like Perry all that much, he's just a straight line player and Harrison Smith is not first round talent. At #62 fine but not at #31.

re: Mike Mayock's mock: Nick Perry over McClellin & Hightower at 27; Harrison Smith #31

I don't like the Pats picks either, but thanks for the Link.

Been waiting on Mayocks mock

Not picks I like in the first round... I take McClellin at 27 for sure and personally I take Janoris Jenkins at #31 to everyones shock

I'd take Perry at 27 and run with it. Smith at 31 is high for a guy that (I'll say it) won't start immediately on our D, even with its issues.

Also, the Smith pick is a classic example of a second-round value player being picked in the first because there just aren't enough first-round players.

Last edited:

I would rather get 2 front 7 guys with the first two picks. I think that Brandon Taylor will be there for our second pick in the next round.

I could take Perry even tho I think we can get someone comparable later which is better value. But I hate harrison smith @ 31. Smith being selected in the 1st round reeks of desperation to bag a safety early because of the weakness of the position.

I don't think BB drafts that way. Whatever Harrison Smith's grade is in a strong draft it's the same in a weak one. I just don't see a 1st round talent there. Is he better than steve gregory who plays both safety positions? We won't pick in both spots, so is Smith worth being the sole 1st rounder selected? Is Nick Perry?

It's hard not to advocate either trading up for a more impact player or back into the 2nd and getting some extra picks and comparable talent.

Not picks I like in the first round... I take McClellin at 27 for sure and personally I take Janoris Jenkins at #31 to everyones shock

Just FYI, have heard from two sources that Jenkins won't be considered until day three. (By the Patriots that is) Might be a smokescreen, but it is what I've heard.

Last edited:

I really like Mayock but I don't like either of these guys in the first. If they're there in the second, I'd be more comfortable with them.

I doubt Hightower lasts until 29 either. If he does and we pass on him, I won't be a happy camper but I'll understand and trust in Belichick and the people that know better.

Just FYI, have heard from two sources that Jenkins won't be considered until day three. (By the Patriots that is) Might be a smokescreen, but it is what I've heard.

Could someone in Foxborough be listening to me? I hope that's true!

Last edited:

I like both picks. Seems realistic, if you accept that trading is out of the question. I am surprised Mayock didn't give McClellin to the Pats at 27 instead of Green Bay at 28.

I just saw Mayock's mock draft special on NFLN. I could live with who he gave the Pats. Perry I don't know a ton about, but I like what I see. Love the Harrison Smith pick. But...

He said McClellin was rated much higher on his board than Perry, and McClellin reminds Mayock of Vrabel (who was a key player for BB during the early SB years). They both play basically the same position. Yet he has the Pats taking Perry, leaving the Packers to take McClellin one pick later. Bit of a head scratcher.

But the strangest pick for me was CB Stephan Gilmore to the Eagles. Aren't they in pretty stacked at CB? They signed Asomugha last year and they also have Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. I mean they shipped Asante Samuel to Atlanta for a 7th today.

He had us passing over Hightower for Perry. I'd be dismayed if that really happened.

But BB has passed over the guy I wanted before (Clay Mathews) and dismayed I was, so nothing changes.

I want to throw up every time I see Harrison Smith mocked to the Pats in the first round. If he's the pick so be it. I'm on board, I'm fan woohoo;) but until that time I'm in the anti-smith club. Every piece of film I've seen is mediocre. Even his highlight videos are lackluster which begs me to differ with this pick so high.

Mike Mayock calls Shea McClellin the next Mike Vrabel. Thus, Mayock proceeds to pick Nick Perry for the New England Patriots with the #27 overall pick. Go figure.

I want to throw up every time I see Harrison Smith mocked to the Pats in the first round
or any round for that matter.

I like and respect Mike Mayock. But his picks for the Patriots are poor. Harrson Smith is a candidate for #62 and possibly even a reach at #48. Crazy to pick him at #31.

Nick Perry is a fair choice if no one else is there, But Sean McClellin is the OLB that BB is always looking for and usually not finding at the end of the First where he has picks.

I would like McClellin and Donta Hightower, even if he has some LBs now.

You load up on LBs when there are LBs that fit BB's schemes that are worth taking. Take Safeties later, or next year, when there are some availalble.

BB has said: " I won't draft a guy just to have somebody for a positiion that I need. When he doesn't work out, I'll stlill have to draft one for the position next year...."

I'd like this first round. I think Jenkins could be a steal and as far as character concerns go i think there isn't a better place than NE for that.

EDIT: Don't like Mayocks draft. Smith is a reach at #31

Last edited:

I just saw Mayock's mock draft special on NFLN. I could live with who he gave the Pats. Perry I don't know a ton about, but I like what I see. Love the Harrison Smith pick. But...

He said McClellin was rated much higher on his board than Perry, and McClellin reminds Mayock of Vrabel (who was a key player for BB during the early SB years). They both play basically the same position. Yet he has the Pats taking Perry, leaving the Packers to take McClellin one pick later. Bit of a head scratcher.

But the strangest pick for me was CB Stephan Gilmore to the Eagles. Aren't they in pretty stacked at CB? They signed Asomugha last year and they also have Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. I mean they shipped Asante Samuel to Atlanta for a 7th today.

Their problem was a lack of slot corner, the ideal position for Gilmore.

Mike Mayock calls Shea McClellin the next Mike Vrabel. Thus, Mayock proceeds to pick Nick Perry for the New England Patriots with the #27 overall pick. Go figure.

It makes me wonder if Green Bay wants McClellin bad enough to trade up ahead of the Pats to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes