PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Mayock's First Round Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have thought the Patriots would trade down from 17 not 28.

I'm curious why he has Jordan going to the Pats when he's said many times that he thinks Watt is the best 5-tech in the draft. Maybe he's heard something?

Agreed. Also, in the show he made a big deal about how Watt can play the 5-tech, or slide inside when his team goes to a 4-3, and move all over the place as the play dictates, etc.

I mean, is there any head coach in the league that likes to switch things up more from play to play than BB?!

No biggie. If the Pats have a shot at both Watt and Jordan I'll be thrilled with whichever one they pick. IBBWT

Last edited:
I'm curious why he has Jordan going to the Pats when he's said many times that he thinks Watt is the best 5-tech in the draft. Maybe he's heard something?

My curiosity demands that BOTH Watt and Jordan are available when the Pats pick, just so I can see who BB really likes better. Odds are he'd pick neither. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
My curiosity demands that BOTH Watt and Jordan are available when the Pats pick, just so I can see who BB really likes better. Odds are he'd pick neither. :rolleyes:
Adrian Clayborn

Todd McShay produced his final 7-round mock draft (Insider content) and Reiss reports that the Pats come away with the following:

No. 17 -- DE Cameron Jordan (California)
No. 28 -- OLB Brooks Reed (Arizona)
No. 33 -- OL James Carptenter (Alabama)
No. 60 -- DT Jarvis Jenkins (Clemson)
No. 74 -- RB Daniel Thomas (Kansas State)
No. 92 -- CB Curtis Brown (Texas)

I’m happy with picks 17 thru 92:) but hate last 3 picks:mad: but since I won’t pay for “insider content’ don’t know who might have been available.

No. 125 -- WR Cecil Shorts (Mount Union)
No. 159 -- S Eric Hagg (Nebraska)
No. 193 -- RB Charles Clay (Tulsa)

i think Mayock has Jake Locker at #28 cause he thinks that some team will trade with the pats but now that the lockout is over more teams will be on the phone with the eagels trying to get Kevin Kolb, if someone is looking to trade up with the pats at #28 its for one of the OLB's befor the jets and packers get them.

i think Mayock has Jake Locker at #28 cause he thinks that some team will trade with the pats but now that the lockout is over more teams will be on the phone with the eagels trying to get Kevin Kolb, if someone is looking to trade up with the pats at #28 its for one of the OLB's befor the jets and packers get them.

I'm curious about how good a draft pick the Jets will muster. Mayock seemed to believe that the bottom picks of the first round will feature a very thinned pool of talent to pick from. Mayock believes that a number of teams will be looking to trade out. If it plays out this way, that the bottom of the round is poor, then it could force a lesser pick from the Jets. This would mark the second time in two years in which the Jets first pick is less than spectacular (and then there was gholston in '08, and '09 they only picked 3 players). Not an auspicious start to Rex's tenure with lesser upcoming talent. While Rex keeps pushing into the playoffs, the pernicious effect that we faced in NE of lower draft picks will diminish their long term roster talent. We perform well year-to-year, but at least BB is masterful with the draft (at least of late). Jets will have to heavily rely on veterans (not the worst thing in the world), but if they have a slow free agency, then it can really debilitate the team. And relying on veterans is expensive, unless you operate like the Pats do and aggressively push for cheaper deals with players. And I don't think that's their GM's style. And overtime, Rex won't be able to rely on his connections with Baltimore players who are considering leaving with free agency. I wouldn't be suprised if the trade up in this draft.

Perhaps this post belongs in the Jets Suck thread...meh.

Remember Peter King I think it was saying earlier this week that he heard the Patriots already had a deal in place for the #28 pick, assuming a certain player was still on the board. Locker is assumed to be that player. Thing is, the latest Buzz has Locker back in the top 8-15 again. I guess that isn't terrible since his being taken before #17 means that everyone else slides one spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes