Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mike Martz on the Pats

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PatsFanVancouver, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatsFanVancouver

PatsFanVancouver Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +43 / 6 / -0

FOXBORO | While the 1972 Miami Dolphins aren't yet willing to share the pedestal as the NFL's only undefeated Super Bowl champion, the architect of "The Greatest Show on Turf" in St. Louis has already transferred that title.

Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz, sitting in his office last night while preparing for the San Diego Chargers this Sunday, says that title now belongs to Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots.

"Bill (Belichick) is doing what we envisioned (in St. Louis)," said Martz, whose team lost a tough game, 28-27, to the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday.

"It's fun to watch. I am so impressed with the Patriots, especially the way they attack on offense," said Martz. "I think it just goes to show you how unique Bill is. He is always looking to get better. They have the best offense I've ever seen."

3. PatsFaninAZ

PatsFaninAZ In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

On first read, it seemed like there was a bit too much self-congratulations by Martz. But on reflection, I think he's right. He did have something of a "blueprint" (to use a hated word around here), and had to suffer lots of second guessing about whether it was a legitimate strategy. And I think there are a fair number of comparisons between his championship year and this year's Patriots team. Martz is regarded as an innovative, good coach who won the big one. It's interesting to realize that it's probably Brady and Belichick that have kept him from having a much more significant and important legacy, by three points. It's a "game of inches" in a lot of ways.

4. Squib

Squib Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

With speculation that Josh McDaniels is moving on next year, Martz is kissing Bill's butt looking for a job.

5. letekro

letekro In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +20 / 2 / -3

You mean, he NEVER won the big one. Right?

6. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +136 / 2 / -1

No Jersey Selected

He won it as OC and would have won it as HC in any other year.

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +527 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

:confused:

Other than people saying McDaniels would be a good candidate, there is no speculation whatsoever that he's moving on.

8. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +56 / 1 / -4

Wow, Martz is a pretty classy coach. Very nice article. It must be hard to admit that another team is doing it better than you could, but here he comes out and says it. I was surprised. Martz comes across as a pretty humble guy.

9. ironwasp

ironwasp Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

These are incredibly generous words from Martz, a man who knows a thing or two about offense. His thoughts on the regular season game before XXXVI are fascinating.

There's a nice line in here from the reporter too:

"This guy basically invented the pass-'til-you-puke system, at least at the level the Rams moved the ball."

10. Squib

Squib Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

According to NFL Network's Adam Schechter on EEI this a.m., he expects 7 head coaching positions to be available in '08 and McDaniels is on the short list. Sounds like speculation to me.

11. PatsFaninAZ

PatsFaninAZ In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Sure he did. He can wear his 1999 ring with pride. He may not have been the HC, but he was as much the arcitecht of that win as anyone.

12. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Would he be taking Brady, Moss, and Welker?

13. JustWinBrady

JustWinBrady On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

McDaniels is nowhere ready to be an NFL coach. He should stay here and continue to learn from the best. Brady is making him look good.

14. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +527 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Clearly there's been speculation he will be a candidate. But we don't know that 1) anyone will offer him a job, nor do we know 2) if he would take it. I'm probably just reading your words differently but to me there's no speculation that someone is moving on until we know if he even would be interested. My personal feeling is that he would choose to stay unless he got a perfect situation; I have a feeling he would listen to Belichick more than Mangina did about waiting for the right time and the right job.

15. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

The Rams defense was big that year, so I wouldn't call him the architect, but he should wear his ring with pride, as should everyone with a ring.

16. sieglo

sieglo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Mangini thinks he is, per his comments yesterday. :rolleyes:

17. shakadave

shakadave In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I like the part where Martz could see during the 2001 regular-season game that the Pats were Super Bowl quality.

18. SoCal Bong

SoCal Bong Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Dan Patrick tried to get June Jones to say that the Patriots stole the University of Hawaii's offensive playbook. He never said that but DP kept pressing and the most JJ would say is that we run a lot of the same stuff.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  19. sebman2112

sebman2112 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It seemed to me BB started running a lot more spread offense after visiting Urban Meyer down in Florida, and around that same time he started signing & drafting a bunch of Florida players.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  20. PantsB

PantsB On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Martz was a great OC but he seemed to lack common sense as a HC. It didn't even seem like he failed as a motivator but he seemed to make just a few foolish mistakes. If you gave him a solid veteran Assistant HC and a decent Def C he'd probably do well leading a team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.