PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Martz Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmmm....offensive coordinator anyone?

NEM said:
You beat me to it. I belive it has already been determined that Mike Martz will be our next offensive coordinator. And, I approve. Not that it matters what the hell I say. :D

I think I just threw up in my mouth...

...again...

Way back at the beginning of the season, I predicted that Mike Martz would be the first coach fired this season. I have NO interest in that mook EVER wearing Patriot colors. EVER.

Can you say Raiders? If they could get a real QB and a defense they could be scary... or not.

NEM said:
You beat me to it. I belive it has already been determined that Mike Martz will be our next offensive coordinator. And, I approve. Not that it matters what the hell I say. :D

At first I thought that's a crazy idea. Martz would never come here. But then
I remembered a Belichick conference where Bill told how he studies Martz
offense in the offseason to get ideas and the great respect he has for Mike's
offense schemes.
Maybe the two could co-exist. But would Martz really take an OC job?
There are going to be several HC jobs available and a lack of qualified
people to fill the positions. Can't help but think he'll take one. But
you never know ...

Martz's biggest problem in coming here would be learning to avoid cameras and microphones and swallowing his play-calling ego ("we'll win MY way, d%#*!@t, no matter HOW many DBs are out there") for the good of the team.

JR4 said:
At first I thought that's a crazy idea. Martz would never come here. But then
I remembered a Belichick conference where Bill told how he studies Martz
offense in the offseason to get ideas and the great respect he has for Mike's
offense schemes.
Maybe the two could co-exist. But would Martz really take an OC job?
There are going to be several HC jobs available and a lack of qualified
people to fill the positions. Can't help but think he'll take one. But
you never know ...

there is an opening in KC...if he doesn't mind reuniting with Trent Green and following Vermeil again...

Martz may be creative and innovative and all that, but he suffers from a bad case of hubris I think. I just don't like what I see of the guy, but if Coach brings him in, I'll deal...

the al davis factor

mosi said:
Can you say Raiders? If they could get a real QB and a defense they could be scary... or not.
IF raiders could get a real QB and a defense...i don't think raiders will have a cohesive COACHING STAFF, let alone a D, until al davis is outa there.
when i look at al, one of my favorite people from the old AFL (he was the commissioner), i shiver because it portends the larry lucchino situation.
davis owns a share of the team. i believe his title is "managing general partner". he has probably killed all his silent partners over the past 20 years. there IS NOBODY who has authority to fire him, and nobody with the rocks to suggest that he step aside.
lucchino owns a part of the team. he serves, for all purposus, as VP for operations. john henry certainly doesn't seem the type to show him the door, and how do you fire a co-owner?
tom werner is probably capable, but there will be a long struggle if it becomes necessary to fire lucchino, or have him step aside.

NEM said:
NEMstrodamus says...Martz coming here.

Thanks!

I take comfort in the frequency of your predictions (regarding our OCs) failing!

:D

huskeralk said:
hmmmm....offensive coordinator anyone?
when you bring in a new offensive coordinator, he almost always brings a new system with him.
new terminology. new ways to call plays (is the TE's route second or third thing you call?). new audibles. and a new concept.
right now brady and the offensive people have been running weis' offense for 5 years. if they keep it, they will grow even better with it. that was one of joe montana's blessings over his career--he only had to work in bill walsh's system for his whole career, and after 6-7 years he understood it subtelties as well as walsh.
BB may think the world of Martz, but will he be willing to dhange over his offense?

Martz's next job will be as an offensive coordinator. I think with his health problems, he is done as far as head coaching goes.

It has been rumored for weeks that Al Davis wants him to repalce Norv Turner.

Martz wouldn't work as an assistant here. He would never go for the rules about keeping a low profiile and only speaking to the press a couple times a year. His ego just couldn't take it.

Plus, for all the respect BB has for Martz ability, how do you think he feels about Martz attitude that getting penalties, wasting time outs, and committing turnovers are not any big deal and are just an acceptable part of running a high octane offense?

Last edited:
dhamz said:
It has been rumored for weeks that Al Davis wants him to repalce Norv Turner.

Martz wouldn't work as an assistant here. He would never go for the rules about keeping a low profiile and only speaking to the press a couple times a year. His ego just couldn't take it.

Plus, for all the respect BB has for Martz ability, how do you think he feels about Martz attitude that getting penalties, wasting time outs, and committing turnovers are not any big deal and are just an acceptable part of running a high octane offense?

Well, there've been media rumors for weeks as well that BB would strongly consider Martz as OC here

I can't speak to Martz' ego, but a nice string of good offensive wins would certainly help stroke anyone's ego - whether they were allowed to talk to the press or not.

Flying Fungi said:
Thanks!

I take comfort in the frequency of your predictions (regarding our OCs) failing!

:D
:singing: ..

What about Norv as OC?

Norv is a good OC, but a bad HC.

Martz doesn't adapt and that's a sin around Foxborough

they should start a union

old 55 said:
Norv is a good OC, but a bad HC.

Martz doesn't adapt and that's a sin around Foxborough
there are a number of guys who fit that description in today's nfl.
fassel
wannstedt
mora?
turner

since the coaching position called "coordinator" is about 25 years old, i guess it's time for this kind of coaching stratification to appear.
but it makes it easier to tell which are the good hires and the bad hires...

Flying Fungi said:
I think I just threw up in my mouth...

...again...

Way back at the beginning of the season, I predicted that Mike Martz would be the first coach fired this season. I have NO interest in that mook EVER wearing Patriot colors. EVER.

ME TOO!! I remember hearing after the Super Bowl that coaches told Martz to change his game plan because of the way BB had the defense playing and he refused saying the Rams would win HIS way...... Well I guess it is the highway for Martz now. I do feel bad about his heart trouble and the way the Rams handled that situation, but I do not want to see him here. I don't think BB will bite either.

I don't think Belichick is looking for an OC but if he were I have little doubt he'd be interested in Martz.

BelichickFan said:
I don't think Belichick is looking for an OC but if he were I have little doubt he'd be interested in Martz.

Now that Josh McDaniels has had a year under his belt as the unoffical OC, the Patriots will announce that he is the OC. This will be sometime after the SB during the FA period. This is what Parcells did with BB before he was named as the DC of the Giants.

The Patriots are not in the market for an OC. Tom Brady is excelling in the system we have in place now and this is his 6th year in this system. BB will not change that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down