PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Lynch: Belichick to be fined $500k, Pats to be docked 2 "high picks"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Channel 5 Reporting

And where did I claim that?

YOU didn't, I'm arguing with two people at once. You inserted yourself into my argument with Qui. I'm defending my argument against him.

How do you know what proof the Commissioner has in his files regarding events in 2006? That he chose not to punish anyone last year does not mean that there was no proof.

The Packers guy himself said he didn't turn the Patriots into the league because he didn't think it was a big deal, wasn't the reason they lost, and said everyone else does it.

We should technically be able to scratch that one off the list.

The Lions:

I don't know. The video stuff they talked about could have been true but at the same time somone from their team talked about audio problems that reaked of complete BS to me and just seemed like piling on. Now if they really did have a video problem with the Patriots last year and said something to a league guy about it that could have been the first offense, but the Patriots never received any punishment and this is the first time any of us have ever heard of it. If it was being enforced at the time we would have heard about it.

To me this is the first time the Patriots have broken this rule since the Commish finally decided to enforce it so it's either a first offense or second offense depending on how you look at it. There's no way it should be considered a 3rd, or 4th offense though.

Really, I just hope this junk gets over soon and Judge Dredd goes a little easier on the Pats than the rumors circulating tonight....

No one. They can make the 1st round be 31 selections.

Well, that's debatable but continue. I've heard questions concerning the NFLPA's reaction to this but I simply don't know the relevant rules.

There's something you (and a couple others in this forum) need to realize: This is not a court of law. The standards of proof and evidence and innocence and guilt that apply in a court of law are not going to matter in the Commissioner's office.

The Patriots did it last year and everyone from the ballboy to the Commissioner knows it. Your silly little attempts at legal technicalities just aren't going to have any sway in the Commissioner's office - nor should they.
Here's a better analogy: Suppose you and I work for the same company and you think I am pissing on your car, so the company puts out a memo that says "Pissing on cars will not be tolerated. Anyone caught pissing on cars will be severly reprimanded." Of course, everyone in the company knows it is something I do all the time. So finally I get caught pissing on your car... How far do you think I am going to get saying "But this is my first offense..!!"

Nowhere, but you should receive the same punishment as anyone else who did it after the memo. You wouldn't be treated like it is your third strike.

No one. They can make the 1st round be 31 selections.

Which, if the NFLPA had a sack (like the MLBPA) would never happen, because it would have a big effect on slotting bonuses. Of course, the NFLPA has about as much power as the New York Jets have talent, so thy won't be raising any issues.

The differences between football and baseball with regards to punishments and the like are astonishing.

Cmon...let's get f'in serious here....we are talking about 2 of the worst teams in the NFL last year........yeah we had some mental screw ups against THE WORST team in the NFL Detroit....but if you/they are trying to imply that we had a rough game against them because we were stealing their signals ....it doesn't make alot of sense....right Quicox?.......That makes as much sense as Matt Millen still being the GM there......NONE!
Oh, I have little doubt that the Patriots did their videotape thing all 16 games last year. Hell they've probably been doing it for years... But the GB and Det games stand out as the ones where they were caught.

Which implies that it's all the Patriots' fault that a league-wide memo was sent out.
Well, I am not trying to imply it was the Patriots' fault that memo was sent. I am making the flat out assertion that it was the Patriots' fault that memo was sent. Let there be no ambiguity about it.

Miguel will clear this up definitively when the dust clears, but when a team loses a draft choice, the choice just goes away. When there are 3 comp picks, the round is 35 players long. If a team had used a pick in the Supplemental Draft or has been penalized the number of picks in the round is less than 32.

I would expect that the player association will be contacted, but it really doesn't affect them. There is no such thing as "first round" money. Many here would like to have fixed slotted rookie salaries, but the NFL hasn't gone that way.

Well, I am not trying to imply it was the Patriots' fault that memo was sent. I am making the flat out assertion that it was the Patriots' fault that memo was sent. Let there be no ambiguity about it.

OK, we'll you can continue all you like jumping to conclusions just like Jets fans and all of the other Pats haters.

I've been stating this over in the Chargers forum:

The punishment will dictate whether this is "cheating" or a "violation of the rules"

Suspension (or forfeit) = Cheating
Loss of draft picks (and/or fine) = Violation of the rules

It's really that simple.

And I don't think anyone's out to get the Patriots for winning. Hell, it wasn't all that long ago that the Pats (like my Chargers) were considered the laughingstock of the league. Perrenial doormats.

So when the punishment is officially handed down, we will all know just how far the Patriots went over the line.

I don't really give a shiit either way. All good things end eventually. The Patriots will one day come back to earth and I hope my Chargers can provide a bit of gravity this weekend. :rocker:

So you don't think that anyone's out to get the Pats for "winning."? Oh really? Everyone is always trying to go gunning for the guys at the top....and considering that the Pats have been at the top, or near the top for nearly the past decade........They are the target. Belichick is also obviously no fan favorite of the press because he doesn't give them much of an interview.........and anyone from NY hates him for burning the Jests......This media frenzy is further proof of our crumbling society........a hangman's mob going after someone this viciously? I am shocked and saddened at how far the world is falling..........

Miguel will clear this up definitively when the dust clears, but when a team loses a draft choice, the choice just goes away. When there are 3 comp picks, the round is 35 players long. If a team had used a pick in the Supplemental Draft or has been penalized the number of picks in the round is less than 32.

I would expect that the player association will be contacted, but it really doesn't affect them. There is no such thing as "first round" money. Many here would like to have fixed slotted rookie salaries, but the NFL hasn't gone that way.

Yea, the team that would normally picks 33rd would essentially pick 32nd. It's just like Cincy losing a pick last year because they used it in the supplemental, everyone behind them essentially got bumped up one spot.

I've been stating this over in the Chargers forum:

The punishment will dictate whether this is "cheating" or a "violation of the rules"

Suspension (or forfeit) = Cheating
Loss of draft picks (and/or fine) = Violation of the rules

It's really that simple.

And I don't think anyone's out to get the Patriots for winning. Hell, it wasn't all that long ago that the Pats (like my Chargers) were considered the laughingstock of the league. Perrenial doormats.

So when the punishment is officially handed down, we will all know just how far the Patriots went over the line.

I don't really give a shiit either way. All good things end eventually. The Patriots will one day come back to earth and I hope my Chargers can provide a bit of gravity this weekend. :rocker:

So you don't think that anyone's out to get the Pats for "winning."? Oh really? Everyone is always trying to go gunning for the guys at the top....and considering that the Pats have been at the top, or near the top for nearly the past decade........They are the target. Belichick is also obviously no fan favorite of the press because he doesn't give them much of an interview.........and anyone from NY hates him for burning the Jests......This media frenzy is further proof of our crumbling society........a hangman's mob going after someone this viciously? I am shocked and saddened at how far the world is falling..........

OK, we'll you can continue all you like jumping to conclusions just like Jets fans and all of the other Pats haters.
Just being realistic and speaking the truth without the silver and blue stained sunglasses on.

You can continue all you like with the Polyanna "my team is 100% pure as the wind driven snow" routine all you like. I prefer, however, not to live in denial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back