PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Lombardi leaves Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last thing Belichick needed was another yes man and he had his fill of those.
Mike Lombardi was good for Bill ... unafraid to speak his mind and give other opinions.
So glad we had him and hopefully some of the staff learned from him ... I bet they did.

I hope you are not implying that prior to Lombardi arriving that Bill surrounded himself with a bunch of yes men?

The last thing Belichick needed was another yes man and he had his fill of those.
Mike Lombardi was good for Bill ... unafraid to speak his mind and give other opinions.
So glad we had him and hopefully some of the staff learned from him ... I bet they did.

I really will never understand why this seems to be the consensus of so many pats fans. There was a large group over at boston.com that were so adamant about this with zero factual basis. Who has exactly said this? Was it somebody who was previously with the Pats FO and would actually know this for a fact? Or was it just felger/mazz yapping about something they know nothing about?

Everything that I've heard, from coaches to scouting, is that BB always has an ear open and encourages dialogue among his staff. Just watch Do Your Job. Every coach had something to say about BB encouraging outside the box thinking and people challenging him.

I'm sure there have been times where BB might have gone against a recommendation about a player because he liked what he saw from another prospect but the whole notion that he surrounds himself only with "yes men" is one of the most baseless comments I've heard.

I really will never understand why this seems to be the consensus of so many pats fans. There was a large group over at boston.com that were so adamant about this with zero factual basis. Who has exactly said this? Was it somebody who was previously with the Pats FO and would actually know this for a fact? Or was it just felger/mazz yapping about something they know nothing about?

Everything that I've heard, from coaches to scouting, is that BB always has an ear open and encourages dialogue among his staff. Just watch Do Your Job. Every coach had something to say about BB encouraging outside the box thinking and people challenging him. I'm sure there have been times where BB might have gone against a recommendation about a player because he liked what he saw from another prospect but the whole notion that he surrounds himself only with "yes men" is one of the most baseless comments I've heard.

There is a culture there that is governed by principals and expectations. BB expects his staff to be independent thinkers and form opinions supported by observation and data. He also expects them to bust their ass, be innovative, credible and confident in defending their position and beliefs.

BB doesn't have time to manage but has plenty of time to lead and this culture is THE reason why they stay on top and ahead of the competition.

Hiring yes men is the complete opposite of what they do.

Last edited:
If BB wanted Lombardi here -- he'd still be here.

Nothing concerning the football operations of our beloved Patriots happens without his approval. NOTHING.

Agree completely, Belichick calls every shot in football operations, that is the deal he made to take the team over and the Kraft's wouldn't risk losing him over intervention.

Why does Volin have any access to the team at all . . . or does he? He seems to have a lot more access than I like.

Just catching up on Trollin's report. I would ordinarily dismiss anything he says or reports but I dunna know...

Whether or not Mike Lombardi leaves or stays is roughly #436 on a prioritized list of 10 issues I have related to the team. Whether it was an amicable separation or not is roughly #6,868.

Nothing concerning the football operations of our beloved Patriots happens without his approval. NOTHING.

I've mentioned a few times that I haven't been wild about New England's drafts since Lombardi came along. If the report is to be believed (and it IS Volin), I'd have to think the split is about Lombardi bombing when it comes to personnel recommendations, be it through the draft or through another vehicle.

I'm curious where you get this belief from. First I have never seen anything to suggest that BB would want yes men around and then of all people I find it incredulous to think mike Lombardi would be the guy to challenge that. If anything I would think its the opposite where BB hates yes men and that's exactly what Lombardi turned out to be.

I'm curious where you get this belief from. First I have never seen anything to suggest that BB would want yes men around and then of all people I find it incredulous to think mike Lombardi would be the guy to challenge that. If anything I would think its the opposite where BB hates yes men and that's exactly what Lombardi turned out to be.

I have heard and read where BB likesopinions that are based on solid information and facts.. so I suspect that Lombardi might have been tired of the demanding hours that BB expects..

BB does not surround this team with graduates from John Carroll and Renssalaer Polytech because they have not been tainted by College Football Factories..

What I find so disturbing is the lack of ANY other media site that agrees with Volin. Volin might have the fewest, if any, sources within the Pats organization of any of the beat guys. If there were any truth to his speculation, don't you think people like Curran, Reiss or SMY would have had the same story. What makes his story so ludicrous is the assertion that Lombardi could have BB as a supporter and still get fired. That makes no sense at all. And this isn't the first time Volin has made it up as he went along.

Finally, what is most disturbing for me is how a guy with SO little credibility can write fiction and have it repeated by major outlets like PFT, etc. How soon before we get to hear ESPN report it as a fact. :rolleyes:

More accurately, if BB wanted Lombardi to stay and Lombardi wanted to stay, they'd make it happen.

...BB does not surround this team with graduates from John Carroll and Renssalaer Polytech because they have not been tainted by College Football Factories.
So, if I remove the double negative, are you then stating that Bill surrounds his team with graduates from John Carroll & RPI because they have been tainted by college football factories, whatever that means?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes