PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Lombardi: Cassel to be franchised [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mike Lombardi: Cassel to be franchised

It will be interesting to see the NFL and the Players Association reactions if this happens. A lot of people will see it Spacecrime's way; that this is a backdoor way of undermining Free Agency. Players already hate the Franchise tag and with the CBA up in the air Goodell might worry. Also the anti-Patriots commentariat will use this as yet another reason to bash us. Funnily, I don't think BB has given any of these things a moments thought.:)

Putting the tag on Cassel seems a little risky (tieing up that much money), but in BB I trust. I wonder if this, if true, has anything to do with Brady and his recovery. Part of me wanted to the Pats let Cassel walk, just insomuch that it would be a sure signal that they were sure TFB was gonna be back.

Right now, I don't think franchising Cassel is that risky. What it does is buy the Patriots time to evaluate Brady's status, and they can do the franchising without making any roster moves because of it. They'll still be going into free agency with six to eight million dollars of uncommitted cap space without any additional cuts, restructures or extensions, and if they want to play for a big FA or two, they can easily structure contracts to fit under those constraints.

If franchising Cassel gives the Patriots until mid-April to evaluate Brady, then going into the draft the Pats either have good confidence that Brady is healthy and a couple of extra picks OR a competent starting quarterback in Cassel for the 2009 season or 2 additional 1st rounders to compensate for the lack of #1 or #2.

If the Pats only had 10 million in space right now, this analysis would be very different, but they have the breathing room to buy time with moderate opportunity and minimal cash/cap costs.

Re: Cassel to Be Franchised

Even though they need a quarterback, the Jetts will definitely not get Cassell. The Patriots would be stupid to help their division opponent by trading them a good quarterback. He'll likely go to Minnesotta or Chicago.

Read your Belichick History Book a bit closer, bolt.

Last edited:

Understood. I said at the time I'd have traded Rivers since Brees was much more impressive in Rivers' rookie year than he had been the year before. I get the shoulder thing but IMO there was too much value at QB to just let one walk. I liked them both and would have traded whichever I could get the most for.

Nice way to sum up the "trade Brady" thread.

It will be interesting to see the NFL and the Players Association reactions if this happens. A lot of people will see it Spacecrime's way; that this is a backdoor way of undermining Free Agency. Players already hate the Franchise tag and with the CBA up in the air Goodell might worry. Also the anti-Patriots commentariat will use this as yet another reason to bash us. Funnily, I don't think BB has given any of these things a moments thought.:)

The same way they reacted to Jared Allen getting franchised so he could be traded: Once he gets traded and gets a huge contract they'll say nothing. The Patriots actually have more reason to franchise than the Chiefs did with the Brady injury. This is a non-issue.

Once Cassel proved to be a bona fide #1 QB the question of franchising was never a question. They get a end of 3rd round comp pick for him if he leaves via free agency AT BEST. There isn't a person in this world that would say the Pats could not get a 3rd round pick from someone for Cassel. THUS, there is no risk involved in franchising and trading, other than Brady having a rehab setback after the trade.

Last edited:

But that's just it. He didn't keep making laser/frozen rope throws. Go back and take a look at the Seattle game, for example, and you'll see him underthrowing his receivers. Here's a story noting the arm situation:

Article is here

I agree that his arm has dropped off from the 'unreal' category to simply 'above average'. All these years he could make up for what appears to be a lack of preparation by just "wingin' it" and letting the RPG on his right arm bail him out...now it appears to have caught up with him.

If he stays, it'll be interesting to see how he adapts (with improved preparation, timing, and touch or as the article states:

...a delusional old man who doesn't know when to call it quits."

Last edited:

For God's sake, that was exactly the reason they did it. The NFLPA basically said, "OK, if you'll let us get to free agency two years earlier, we'll let you hold a few players 'hostage' each year."

So what about Asante Samuel? What did we get for him?

What does any team get when a player's contract is up?

Nothing. Why should they? The contract is over.

This idea that somehow you cannot let a player leave after his contract is over is bogus. ALL teams lose FAs. That's how they become FAs.

The franchise tag is for like when we franchised Vinatieri. To keep a player off the market while you are negotiating a contract. Or like Samuel, when you try to reach a contract but cannot.

The only acceptable use of the franchise tag on Cassel is if the Pats intend to keep him and have tried to work out a long term deal.

I hope they do not intend to keep him because that would mean that Brady is still hurt.

Spacecrime, still crazy in 2009! ;)

This post is silly. The Patriots let Asante Samuel walk because the Rodney-HGH situation put them in a corner. To that point, they had Samuel in a ridiculous hold-out which was not, ultimately, going to lead to anything. Instead, they all of a sudden had a major veteran vacuum for the first 4 games of the season and they HAD to get Samuel into camp, so they caved and gave him the deal he wanted, which was likely to - and eventually did - make #22 an unrestricted FA.

THAT is what happened. Not sure if you forgot or are just intent on the "the Franchise tag is only for one thing" angle.

Can you guys afford it though? The combined money that you will have to pay Tom Brady and Matt Cassell in 2009 will be $28 million if you franchise Cassell and your salary cap is I believe $130 million for 2009, which will mean you'll probably have to cut a lot of players in order to make up for that extra money which will be going towards Cassell. I think you'd probably be better off just signing a backup quarterback from another team who has experience such as for instance A. J. Feeley from the Eagles or Billy Volek from the Chargers and let Matt Cassell go.

You have a lot more to be concerned about than misunderstanding what the Tag will really mean for the Pats, what with the Colts coming into town to put an end to your 8--8 season (8--8, ouch, i know "it's da rules," but that still hurts from an 11--5 perspective).

For the umpteenth time, the odds that the Pats will keep both Brady and Cassel are somewhere between slim and none. They want to keep Matt "on hold" a little longer until Brady's status for Training Camp and Opening Day is better understood; also, they want to try to get some value for him by some sort of "sign and trade" deal. Finally, it's not 100% out of the question that the one QB on the Pats roster next September will be named Cassel.

If you can pull it off then yea, then would be very smart. Which teams look like they'll be interested in Cassell? I'm guessing Minnesotta is one of those teams. The Titans would also be very wise if they picked him up because with a good quarterback, they'd be even more dangerous than they are now.

I'm in the minority on this board, but I don't think the pats will send him to an AFC team, unless someone makes them "an offer they can't refuse." In the case of the AFC East, there probably is no such offer.

Everyone has their price :)

I think the lessons of Wes Welker and Chad Pennington are that such a price probably doesn't exist, this side of the Twilight Zone.

Technically, if a franchised (non-exclusive of course) Cassel signed a contract with the Jets the Patriots could not stop them, except by matching the contract (which would effectively be impossible). But of course in that case the Jets owe the Pats two first round picks.

Which seems crazy, will never happen... until you think back to the fact Jets have in the past given quite nice picks to the Pats (for Parcells) and vice versa (for Belichick). While Cassel isn't worth quite that much, you never know with the Jets...

Agreed. "Stupid is as Stupid does.":

Its a smart move if the Pats can find a suitor desperate enough for a franchise QB, if Brady is back in time. If not, they are going to have to pay Cassel $14 million to either sit on the bench behind Brady or if TFB isn't ready, Cassel obviously would start.

I think in the end a team like Detroit or Minnesota or maybe even Chicago (Angelo isn't in favor of Kyle Orton it seems) will make a play for him offering the Pats a 3rd round draft pick, maybe a 2nd. The Pats would be willing to take less to make sure he didn't end up in a place like New York or Buffalo. As a Jet fan I'd welcome him, but what are you going to do. The Jets and Pats could never make a trade as long as Belichick remains in charge.

Last edited:

I disagree. It's a cliche now, but "The NFL is a business."

The CBA is a negotiated, labor contract. There a lot of things in the CBA for the Players to like. There are some things they don't like. That's typical of such a contract. You get some things you like and some things you don't like.

Goodell won't step in because the other owners will not stand for his abrogating one of the hard-bargained clauses that actually work to their advantage.

As far as the reaction from the haters in the media, let them hate. We have no control over that and, along with most folks on this Board, I could care less what they say about us.

Last edited:

I have expected this for a while ... anything less is reckless by the Patriots even if it eats up cap space for 2009.

ESPN - Report: Pats will franchise Cassel - AFC East

I'm with you, I also have expected the Pats to franchise Cassel for some time now and I also expect the Pats to be able to receive at least a 1st Rd pick as compensation: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...931-adam-schefter-weei-page2.html#post1210799

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ag-trade-ability-level-page2.html#post1198087

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...rski-high-praise-matt-cassel.html#post1220791

Lombardi has been saying this since November: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/186541-lombardi-cassel.html#post1177618

I disagree. It's a cliche now, but "The NFL is a business."

The CBA is a negotiated, labor contract. There a lot of things in the CBA for the Players to like. There are some things they don't like. That's typical of such a contract. You get some things you like and some things you don't like.

Goodell won't step in because the other owners will not stand for his abrogating one of the hard-bargained clauses that actually work to their advantage.

As far as the reaction from the haters in the media, let them hate. We have no control over that and, along with most folks on this Board, I could care less what they say about us.

Great points. I posted this in another thread:
I don't see any way the NFL can prohibit the Pats from deisgnating Cassel a franchise player if they so choose. The player's association ageed to the franchise tag back in 1993 and again when the cba was most recently renewed in 2006. The league would be setting a bad precedent if they ever invalidated a franchise tag. The more likely scenario is the case heading to an arbitrator at the request of the player and his agent in a case where they felt that the Pats weren't negotiating in good faith but I don't see that happening. Cassel is currently making around $520K and he is on verge of making millions because of the coaches and a team who developed him and took a chance on him even though he hadn't played a down since high school.

I know the franchise tag usually isn't something that makes most players or their agents happy but it's part of the process of free agency as currently negotiated. It does limit player's options on the open market and gives most, not all, of the negotiating control to the team, which is what the Pats should be looking for so Cassel doesn't wind up with a divisional rival or they lose him for less compensation then he is worth in a QB driven league.

Why not try to sign him to a 1 year, $10 mill offer instead... Wouldn't a cheaper salary make him more tradeable, and easier to afford in case a deal can't get done?

Personally I think the value for Matt Cassell will ere to the side of higher value than lower. In this day and age of high round QB busts and a major lack of top flight QB's in the league, the market is going to drive his value. Why handicap yourself with taking that risk on a first rounder, an investment that can handcuff you for years. Do you want to be the GM in that situation? The QB position is easily the most important position on the field and everyone and their mother knows that - so if there is a premium to be paid, why wouldn't anyone want an established qb with further upside coming out of a top franchise/system. What hasn't Matt shown? - he can run, throw, lead, has poise - he's big & durable. He meets all the necesary criteria if you ask me. And he's safe, he's not going to lose you games with an errant approach ala Romo/Favre.

The only perceived concern for Cassel is going to be whether he is a "system" qb or whether he is a transferrable. On the flip side, Matt Cassel brings some of the system with him as part of the package which only adds value IMHO. I think that year as a Patriots starter helps much more than it hurts. Franchising him is an absolute no brainer.

Its a smart move if the Pats can find a suitor desperate enough for a franchise QB...

That's a pretty small if.

Re: Cassel to Be Franchised According to Mike Lombardi

I'm also thinking Belichick is cutting Seymour and re-signing Jarvis to a 3-4 year deal for cheaper money ... that's another thread though isn't it?

I don't see that happening any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down