PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Lombardi: Cassel to be franchised [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mike Lombardi: Cassel to be franchised

I'm having trouble finding when this guy worked with walsh and Belichick. Got fired by the Raiders in 2007 though.

Re: Cassel to Be Franchised

As has been discussed ad nauseum . . . we only need the money until he's traded then we get the money freed up again. What we need to avoid is what happened to the Chargers when they let Drew Brees go for nothing
You mean go 14-2?

I have expected this for a while ... anything less is reckless by the Patriots even if it eats up cap space for 2009.

ESPN - Report: Pats will franchise Cassel - AFC East

And Lombardi knows this because ............. This is nothing more than speculation on his part that any of us could have predicted. Hey I can do that to, just like Lombardi. Here's one for all of you ..... "Detroit is now on the clock." How's that one Lombardi.

And Lombardi knows this because ............. This is nothing more than speculation on his part that any of us could have predicted. Hey I can do that to, just like Lombardi. Here's one for all of you ..... "Detroit is now on the clock." How's that one Lombardi.

Well add some intrigue will ya ... will they keep or trade the pick?

Technically, if a franchised (non-exclusive of course) Cassel signed a contract with the Jets the Patriots could not stop them, except by matching the contract (which would effectively be impossible). But of course in that case the Jets owe the Pats two first round picks.
Understood - but when I said "everyone has their price", that would be an acceptable price :)

You mean go 14-2?
I'm talking about independent events and the independent event of letting a valuable QB go for nothing is not acceptable to me.

Even worse than the Brees trade, the one that makes me regret not having franchised him is Michael Turner. He's looking like the best running back in the league now(1700 yards with 17 tds) and we just let him walk away for free to Atlanta. Before the 2007 season, teams were offering us 1st round picks for him but A.J. Smith overplayed his hand by demanding a 1st and a 3rd and no one ended up taking him up on that offer. I felt we should have just settled for a 1st, considering that we still had LT and Sproles so it's not like we'd be missing much by Turner leaving.
Agreed. There's too much value there to let him walk away.

Putting the tag on Cassel seems a little risky (tieing up that much money), but in BB I trust. I wonder if this, if true, has anything to do with Brady and his recovery. Part of me wanted to the Pats let Cassel walk, just insomuch that it would be a sure signal that they were sure TFB was gonna be back.

Lombardi reportedly links his statement to conversations with the NE Organization:
In addressing the New York Jets' precarious quarterback situation, Lombardi was asked if Cassel might be the guy to help them recover from the failed Brett Favre experiment.

"The Patriots are way too smart, and I've talked to people in the organization," said Lombardi, who worked in the Cleveland Browns' front office when Bill Belichick was the coach. "They are going to franchise Matt Cassel. He's an asset and they can control their ability to trade him if they franchise him."
Logically, it makes sense. It works towards "what is best for the team." The Jet Favrequad situation is the element that does it for me, NY really needs to do something about their QB gap and Cassel is the single most attractive alternative on the street - NE would have to believe he's a "system" QB to not control his market.

If he's actually talked to someone I have to give him credit for saying so. I'm so sick of this, "word is" or "league source" bull, when you know it really means "I'm making this up".

I was kidding, but he does seem to have worked in a lot of organizations, so maybe he has sources.

I thought the Favre move was stupid because it's not like he'll be there for very long; one more year at most. They should have instead tried to get a young quarterback like Matt Schaub or someone else of that caliber who could be their quarterback for several years.

Drafting a young QB with one of your two 1st round picks or trading for a young guy like Schaub only helps you immensely in the future.
However, getting a proven legend/folk-hero like Favre guarantees success (like getting to the playoffs and saving the coaches job), allowing the team to use their top pick on a future rookie of the year stud LB like Golston.:eek:
Oh, wait...

If Favre comes back, he'll be better than he was at the end of the year. He was playing with an injury, and the loss of arm strength and accuracy was apparent to anyone who paid attention. The problem for the Jets was that the backup sucks, so they couldn't afford to make a change (I'm not sure Mangini had the balls to do it anyway). Had Favre not gotten injured, the Jets are almost certainly in the playoffs and people are praising the Jets for their offseason moves. That's just the nature of the game.

DI, I have always respected your insight...but I am not sure how much the newly disclosed injury had to do with the Jets' demise.
Favre continued to make his laser/frozen rope throws until the the last game. His INT's appeared to be more poor decisions/not seeing the defender than the result of not being able to put velocity, sacrificing accurary on the ball.
Even in Week 1, Brett threw the lucky, dead duck in the 4th quarter that Stuckey made the leaping grab for.
Brett made some spectacular and many bone headed throws throughout the year until the final buzzer sounded. He is what he is and he will likely be the same next season (whether he is with the Jets or retired with his spirit surviving in a Cheezehead's wet dream).

DI, I have always respected your insight...but I am not sure how much the newly disclosed injury had to do with the Jets' demise.
Favre continued to make his laser/frozen rope throws until the the last game. His INT's appeared to be more poor decisions/not seeing the defender than the result of not being able to put velocity, sacrificing accurary on the ball.
Even in Week 1, Brett threw the lucky, dead duck in the 4th quarter that Stuckey made the leaping grab for.
Brett made some spectacular and many bone headed throws throughout the year until the final buzzer sounded. He is what he is and he will likely be the same next season (whether he is with the Jets or retired with his spirit surviving in a Cheezehead's wet dream).
I saw some of the Buffalo game as well as the phishie championship series, DI correctly notes Lord Favrequad lost his fastball and could only throw curves.

But that's just it. He didn't keep making laser/frozen rope throws. Go back and take a look at the Seattle game, for example, and you'll see him underthrowing his receivers. Here's a story noting the arm situation:

Article is here

First came the inexplicable meltdown from November through December. Brett Favre started underthrowing his receivers. The gunslinger couldn't hit a receiver in stride!

My concern about Favre is that he has lost arm strength, and that couples with his disdain for the game plan. Forget anything else. Focus on the fact that Favre considers himself above the gameplan. He is the gunslinger, the kid, the one who must not be questioned. The golden one.

Regardless of what any coach draws up, Favre is gonna get under center, and do what he feels like doing, and no coach can ever really feel confidant with that.

The man is an aging shootist, and we all know what happens down the pike. Eventually, the once proud gunfighter gets gutshot, and dies on some long-forgotten, dusty street, unmourned, and barely mentioned in the local papers.

There are old gunfighters, and there are bold gunfighters, but there are NO old, bold gunfighters.

Brett, time to ride off into the sunset, before some candy-assed punk shoots you in the back side and laughs at your misfortune.

Last edited:

I'm talking about independent events and the independent event of letting a valuable QB go for nothing is not acceptable to me.
So what about Asante Samuel? What did we get for him?

What does any team get when a player's contract is up?

Nothing. Why should they? The contract is over.

This idea that somehow you cannot let a player leave after his contract is over is bogus. ALL teams lose FAs. That's how they become FAs.

The franchise tag is for like when we franchised Vinatieri. To keep a player off the market while you are negotiating a contract. Or like Samuel, when you try to reach a contract but cannot.

The only acceptable use of the franchise tag on Cassel is if the Pats intend to keep him and have tried to work out a long term deal.

I hope they do not intend to keep him because that would mean that Brady is still hurt.

This idea that somehow you cannot let a player leave after his contract is over is bogus. ALL teams lose FAs. That's how they become FAs.
Well I disagree. I don't think we should have let Samuel go for nothing. Instead of agreeing to not Franchise him a second time I would have traded him before 2007. That is our right under the contract just as it is the player's right to get a huge amount of money for being Franchised and eventually not be franchiseable at all. Players can leave after the contract is over but the way the agreement is structured right now the contract isn't really over for two more years if the team is willing to pay the huge Franchise number. As the players say, it's a business - and they are nothing but a commodity.

The only acceptable use of the franchise tag on Cassel is if the Pats intend to keep him and have tried to work out a long term deal.

Not to be facetious, but acceptable to whom?

Not to be facetious, but acceptable to whom?
To the self righteous who think their morals are better than others. We are allowed to franchise Cassel and were allowed to franchise Samuel. And we're allowed to trade them while franchised. And that's true whether spacecrime finds it's acceptable or not.

The franchise tag is for like when we franchised Vinatieri. To keep a player off the market while you are negotiating a contract. Or like Samuel, when you try to reach a contract but cannot.

I hope they do not intend to keep him because that would mean that Brady is still hurt.

Samuel didn't get franchised and traded because he held out until the team caved and agreed not to do slap the tag on him after last season. On the other hand, 2 players were tagged and traded last season. Allen was tagged by the Chiefs and then traded to Minnesota. Williams was tagged by the chiefs and then traded to Cleveland. Tag and trade is an acceptable use of the tag whether you like it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back