PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brettlax3434

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
The Bears have "decided to cut ties with" nine-year veteran FS Mike Brown.

This was expected, as GM Jerry Angelo said a month ago that he couldn't envision a scenario where Brown would return. Angelo is high on Danieal Manning, who is expected to be moved into Brown's starting role. With his injury history, Brown will likely have to accept a short-term, incentive-laden deal elsewhere.
Source: Chicago Tribune

Lets bring em in

I'll give him a shot....Gimme gimme gimme.

He would work nice in a platoon with Rodney...as they are not that similar in skills.

The guy's just a walking injury bug. And didnt we just go through this mess last year with Tank Williams? Dont see it. Great player, but just dont see it.

Great player, a big difference maker.
When he plays.

He had four great seasons to open his career.
Then the past five seasons, he has averaged about five games a year.
His best was 2008, when he played 15 games, but again ended on injured reserve (calf).

If his best shot is a short-term, incentive-based deal, there's little harm.
However, we have no access to medical records, and that will be the key to any deal.
He's missed over 40 games the past five years, so the long-term impact of all those injuries will really drive his value.

If he signs a prove-it deal, sure. Hard to give up big bucks for a guy who can't stay on the field.

If he signs a prove-it deal, sure. Hard to give up big bucks for a guy who can't stay on the field.

No one will be giving up big bucks for him. Mike Brown is one of the only "he's a FA, we should get him!"-type guys I'm truly interested in. Hope BB, et al, jumps on him ASAP.

Good call... I do think they SHOULD get him - just NOT get in any kind of bidding war.

"No one" is going to give him big money is a hasty comment to make : just look at the salaries of some of the league's useless players.

I like him as a player because when he is healthy he's one of the most active Ss in the game. He's a good athlete, he can help vs the run, he's smart and he has top notch football instincts. He made all the adjustments in the secondary for the Bears. He jumps routes and he seems extremely fast on the field. He's a big hitter and a solid tackler. He is also excellent in zone coverage and as mentioned is a playmaker, which makes him a fit at a need position for the Pats. But since 2004 he are his games played stats: 2004 - 2, 2005 - 12, 2006 - 6, 2007 - 1 and last year 15. That's being healthy for only 36/80 possible games. Rodney was an injury situation when he was brought in so maybe if he checks out medically, calf injuries are tough recovers for DBs, we take a shot. It might serve as motivation for him as it did for Rodney. Harrison was also 31 when we brought him in, Brown just turned 31 the other day. For comparison purposes here are Rodney's last 5 yrs, games played, in SD before we borught him in: 1998 - 16, 1999 - 6, 2000 - 16, 2001 - 14 and 2002 -13. 65/80, so Rodney was much healthier and made more plays, especially tackles. Brown does make a lot of big plays though.

Last edited:
He is a PLAYMAKER, something the secondary lacked all last year. Safeties play more with instinct than speed, he is an upgrade over Sanders. Not sure where/if Tank fits in the mix this year....

He's a good player when healthy. But the problem is whether or not he can stay on the field. I wouldn't mind adding him, but the Pats shouldn't count on him. I would add another safety through the draft of FA.

Being injury prone is really overrated in football. In the first place, players really do get injured due to the nature of the sport. Achilles and knee injuries from tackles aren't something your "prone" to. could become chronic or could be isolated.

Second, an NFL career is very short. A couple injuries makes it seem like it's the player, when it's really just a statistical likeihood. Most players will have such a period. People forget willie McGinest lost a good portion of his prime years to serious and nagging injuries. Had he retired in the 1990's as many predicted, he would have missed his best years.

He's also played in the tampa-2 his entire career

Being injury prone is really overrated in football. In the first place, players really do get injured due to the nature of the sport. Achilles and knee injuries from tackles aren't something your "prone" to. could become chronic or could be isolated.

Second, an NFL career is very short. A couple injuries makes it seem like it's the player, when it's really just a statistical likeihood. Most players will have such a period. People forget willie McGinest lost a good portion of his prime years to serious and nagging injuries. Had he retired in the 1990's as many predicted, he would have missed his best years.

See your point - but the Pats should still avoid giving up too much cash at this stage.. if they pursue, it should be at reasonable $$$.

Last edited:
See your point - but the Pats should still avoid giving up too much cash at this stage.. if they pursue, it should be at reasonable $$$.

I don't think anyone is suggesting, or would suggest, that the Pats bring in Mike Brown on anything but a show-me veteran contract.

Always thought he was good if he was healthy... that is a pretty big if....

He falls into the same boat as Harrison, Tank Williams. Injury prone safeties looking for a vet minimum deal. If he can sign cheap I would be ok but there better be a backup plan.

I'm assuming he would be a bargain because of injuries.

Obviously, some guys do have injury shortened careers.

He's also played in the tampa-2 his entire career

Not true but if Bob Sanders were available you wouldn't want him here because he's played in a Tampa-2 style scheme?

Not true but if Bob Sanders were available you wouldn't want him here because he's played in a Tampa-2 style scheme?

I would take Bob Sanders here but I wouldn't piss my pants over the move with excitement due to the fact that he's almost always injured. Not the fact that he's played in a Tampa-2.

The guy's just a walking injury bug. And didnt we just go through this mess last year with Tank Williams? Dont see it. Great player, but just dont see it.
so was rodney when we (chargers) cut him

Judging by the remarks, the consensus seems to be Brown would be OKk on a show-me deal, and be prepared for him to get hurt, again.

Have y'all forgotten the Belichick Modus Operandi ?

When he has a position open, he does two or three things, simultaneously. He signs a vet ex-starter FA prior to the draft for low numbers; he drafts a replacement player and then sometimes he tries to see if his own guy matures and rises ot the competition. Were he to sign Brown; then draft a third round safety; and re-sign Sanders; Belichick would be following his well known script, for filling an opening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing