PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Brewster Center No. 50 Ohio State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the Pats Oline and it is hard to get a good grasp of how good they are at run blocking. With Vollmer and Koppen out and Connelly and Waters in, I get the sense that Connelly is struggling as a run blocker,but Waters is very good at run blocking. While Connelly is strong as a pass blocker and Waters is horrible as a pass blocker. But that could be because Solder is a rookie.

We really need more time to figure this one out. Of course it would help if BB ran the ball a bit more to keep defenses honest.

Yep. True. I really really want to see Cannon and what he has to offer. If he is healthy after the PuP activation, it gives us Guard depth and he can, once in a while, come in and sub in for Waters. Now that is predicated on that fact that Vollmer is playing RT and not Solder. I do not want a rookie RG and RT on the same line at once.

Just a thought. Everyone has assumed that next year would be the year to draft Koppen's replacement. After he went down, it looked even more imperative that they grab a C. However now I'm having 2nd thoughts.

Dan Connolly has picked up the beat very well. He is bigger and stronger than Koppen, which was the main complaint about Dan in pass protection that he could be manhandled by a big strong NT. Connolly doesn't seem to have that problem.

The point being that maybe we already have an upgrade for Dan Koppen ON the roster and with Waters and Cannon getting ready to play OG, perhaps drafting a C high in this year's draft might be redundant.

Ohio State's new freshman QB-Braxton Miller, is screwing up the entire OSU line w. his cadence his fluctuation with his cadence. I have never seen a bad snap from Brewster to Terrell Pryor in 3 years but this year, I've seen 4 bad snaps (3 on Brew) w. Braxton in 4 games and a high number of false starts from the other Lineman.

Cause when the 4 year backup QB- Joe Bauserman aka Epic Fail, was playing this year, no snapping issues and the number of false starts go down from the lineman.

VERY insightfull, sir!!

Sort of like a stalwart Catcher suddenly issuing a spate of Passed Balls because of a new KnuckleBaller...

Just a thought. Everyone has assumed that next year would be the year to draft Koppen's replacement. After he went down, it looked even more imperative that they grab a C. However now I'm having 2nd thoughts.

Dan Connolly has picked up the beat very well. He is bigger and stronger than Koppen, which was the main complaint about Dan in pass protection that he could be manhandled by a big strong NT. Connolly doesn't seem to have that problem.

The point being that maybe we already have an upgrade for Dan Koppen ON the roster and with Waters and Cannon getting ready to play OG, perhaps drafting a C high in this year's draft might be redundant.

But Dan C is 31 yrs old. I do agree with you that Dan C is a better pass protector at the Center spot than Koppen but I also think Dan C isn't a great run blocker compared to Koppen.

I was having this thought not too long ago, and I think you're right. Sorry guys, I'm officially jumping off the "Brewster 2012" bandwagon. There's plenty of room on the "third round interior backup" bandwagon if anyone is interested:cool:

But Dan C is 31 yrs old. I do agree with you that Dan C is a better pass protector at the Center spot than Koppen but I also think Dan C isn't a great run blocker compared to Koppen.

I agree, but I don't think we should isolate this fact from the situation of our team:
1. we are a pass-first team
2. TB12 (and every other QB) struggles when pressure is coming from the interior, straight to his face
3. imo pressure from up front is underappreciated by the fans; it's the pressure up front, that makes the QB move and move outside the pocket, where the OLBs take them down (obviously not always); the fans obviously mainly look at the sack numbers, rather than the cause of the sack itself (interior pressure in this case).

That's why I think that as a team we are better off with a downgrade in run-blocking, but an upgrade in pass-blocking at C. I don't know enough about line calls done by the Pats C though and therefore can't determine how much of a downgrade we have going from Koppen to Connolly.

I'm perfectly fine with Connolly this and next year. I don't think we need a first round C in the next draft. I tend more towards a early-mid round C, that is still raw in technique and line calls and who can be groomed for 1-2 years under Scar.

You're the only one daunted by that concept.

No quite a few people are daunted by the concept of giving up #32, #45 and #128 for a single non-elite pass-rusher.

No quite a few people are daunted by the concept of giving up #32, #45 and #128 for a single non-elite pass-rusher.

How do you know he even goes in the first round?

At any rate I don't see a lot of fans wanting to give up the farm for him. Especially after seemingly taking a step down. QB, scheme or what have you, he seems to be losing the glitz and glam that he built up his first 3 years.

There will be other possible options available, maybe Konz if he comes out or one of the up and comers later in the draft.

If the Patriots feel strongly enough to grab him with a late first I'm more than comfortable with that. Their 1st and 2nd round success with oline has been pretty darn good over BB's tenure. The one exception being Klemm.

For those saying they'd be happy to stick with Dan Connolly next year, you should be aware that he's a UFA at the end of the season.

Regarding a top notch Center prospect, how often do that come around? How much better off would we be if we had a Mangold at Center?

I'm not saying we should definitely take one early, I just think the opportunity cost of their scarcity, as well as that of a pass-rusher (assuming a top-notch rusher is available) when determining what direction to go.

I don't know. However, I was responding to Off the Grid's flippant response that no one should be scared of giving up three draft picks to get Brewster.

If he is there in the late 1st (say 25 or later), then a minor tactical trade-up for a top tier center prospect makes a lot of sense. But if the Patriots have to go from #32 to say #15, Brewster better be the next Mike Webster. And I don't think he is.

I agree with your overall assessment that if the Pats draft a center between say #25 to #75, that makes a lot of sense.

How do you know he even goes in the first round?

At any rate I don't see a lot of fans wanting to give up the farm for him. Especially after seemingly taking a step down. QB, scheme or what have you, he seems to be losing the glitz and glam that he built up his first 3 years.

There will be other possible options available, maybe Konz if he comes out or one of the up and comers later in the draft.

If the Patriots feel strongly enough to grab him with a late first I'm more than comfortable with that. Their 1st and 2nd round success with oline has been pretty darn good over BB's tenure. The one exception being Klemm.

I don't know. However, I was responding to Off the Grid's flippant response that no one should be scared of giving up three draft picks to get Brewster.

If he is there in the late 1st (say 25 or later), then a minor tactical trade-up for a top tier center prospect makes a lot of sense. But if the Patriots have to go from #32 to say #15, Brewster better be the next Mike Webster. And I don't think he is.

I agree with your overall assessment that if the Pats draft a center between say #25 to #75, that makes a lot of sense.

He should start going off the board after 25. I think 25+ is a good spot.
I'm not a fan of taking Guards or centers before 21. Too much impact players. Think Mangold went either 21st or 25th.
Right now, Brew is pegged as Late boarderline a 1st rounder -Early 2nd rounder.

It couldn't've been easy, but you managed to miss the point completely.

Allow me to spell it out for you:

HE was the only one SELLING that ludicrous concept.

Hope that helps. :rolleyes:

Do they speak ENGLISH in your country, GENIUS??

I would be the LAST one to make that stupid trade.

Whatsisface was the ONLY one selling that trade.

Why don't you buy yourself a CLUE...and get BACK to me.

I was responding to Off the Grid's flippant response that no one should be scared of giving up three draft picks to get Brewster.

Though even at 16 it would take our 1st,2nd and 3rd rd. picks, to protect Tom its worth it.

Yeah, there's no question that it'd be ridiculous to even think about trading a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd for the guy, no matter HOW he turns out.

I wouldn't've done that even for Pouncey.

I haven't burned my first Mock, yet, but when I do, Brewster is a prime candidate for #31, #32, or #...40, or wherever the Raiders drop.

Yeah, you're a REAL asset to these Boards, Fester. :bricks:

We have to stop looking at drafting Brewster, as giving up three picks.

You're the only one daunted by that concept.

Hey.

Genius.

I don't know if Michael Brewster is "non-elite" or not.

I'll leave that to the experts.

But I'm PRETTY sure...and I could be WRONG, here...

...that he's not a PASS RUSHER. :eek:

Again: thanks for your contributions to the discussion. :rolleyes:

Is Brewster really a first rounder? Him and the rest of the OSU offensive got absolutely manhandled last game. Worthy worked him over a few times.

Is Brewster really a first rounder? Him and the rest of the OSU offensive got absolutely manhandled last game. Worthy worked him over a few times.

Brew is good but he even said that the game was the worst of his career. That line is horrible.
You have a True Soph at LT, true freshman at LG, Brew, true Soph at RG and an useless version of Ryan Diem, a senior, at RT. Also, his bad snaps only happen w. Braxton Miller as QB. I think it's b/c of Miller's Cadence. Those issues never happened when Terrell and Joe Bauserman (aka Epic Fail) were the QB's in the last 3 years.

Worthy pretty much owned that LG. It was disgusting...and our offense really sucks. The QBs suck (It's understandable that Miller isn't good cause he is a true freshman), the Offensive coordinator has no business being a coach or even calling plays, WR's are all either true Freshmen or redshirt Freshmen and Sophomores. It's funny cause there is a reliable source who leaked a story about Vrabel and the idiot Off Coord got into a heated verbal spat about the defense carrying the team etc.

So pretty much, the offensive side is kinda like the Colts situation. Everything ran under Tressel. He called the plays. Once he got fired, you have a bunch of chickens, whose's heads were cut off, running around and have no clue how to run an offense.

So I need bleach, draino and a ice pick every Saturday. :mad:

Brew is good but he even said that the game was the worst of his career. That line is horrible.
You have a True Soph at LT, true freshman at LG, Brew, true Soph at RG and an useless version of Ryan Diem, a senior, at RT. Also, his bad snaps only happen w. Braxton Miller as QB. I think it's b/c of Miller's Cadence. Those issues never happened when Terrell and Joe Bauserman (aka Epic Fail) were the QB's in the last 3 years.

Worthy pretty much owned that LG. It was disgusting...and our offense really sucks. The QBs suck (It's understandable that Miller isn't good cause he is a true freshman), the Offensive coordinator has no business being a coach or even calling plays, WR's are all either true Freshmen or redshirt Freshmen and Sophomores. It's funny cause there is a reliable source who leaked a story about Vrabel and the idiot Off Coord got into a heated verbal spat about the defense carrying the team etc.

So pretty much, the offensive side is kinda like the Colts situation. Everything ran under Tressel. He called the plays. Once he got fired, you have a bunch of chickens, whose's heads were cut off, running around and have no clue how to run an offense.

So I need bleach, draino and a ice pick every Saturday. :mad:

This is a very good thing from a Pats point of view, let his stock drop and scoop him up for a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes