PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike and Mike and the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year we went 10-6, does anyone on here really think we are going to be worse than last year. Do you think we are going to go 1-6 on the road again. Do you think Brady is going to be worse than last year. How about the WR's? Do you think the defense will be worse than last year. In my opinion the answer to all those question is no. Last year was as bad as we could expect to be and we still were 10-6 and division champs. I think we will be better in a lot of different areas this year, and 11 wins certainly attainable and wouldnt be surprise if they win 12.

Mike and Mike are in for a big surprise. They did not factor in the rookies from last year and this. The Patriots now have an awesome receiver corp at both WR and TE. Watch out. Also the Patriots will have a retooled defense featuring some beasts up front and a rejuvenated secondary and two new impact LBs. The Patriots are going to surprise a lot of people.

Mike and Mike just previewed the Pats. They were not very impressed with our club. Greenberg has us at 8-8 and Golic at 9-6. Greenberg said he thinks that Belichick is the best coach in the NFL but year after year he stockpiles picks and never makes any high picks and wonders if he doesn't know what he is doing. They are drinking the Dolphins and Jets koolaid (Greenberg is obviously a Jets fan) and said that those 2 teams are definitely moving up and that someone therefore has to fall and it is the Pats.

I love being perceived as an underdog by the mediots.

Greenberg has been drinking green koolaid every off-season since he's been on the airwaves

How can a fan of a team that has done NOTHING in 40 years talk so much sh!t?

The fish rots from the head down and the fans pick up on their fumes...not a huge surprise there.

First let me start off by saying i hope people are not buying what Mike and Mike are selling:eek: It's wishful thinking on Greenberg part to thing that the Patriots will go 8-8 remember a he's homer and he works for the ANTI-PATRIOTS NETWORK!!!.So WOW im so post to buy into the Jets based on what? because they backed into the playoffs and beat a ****y Chargers team that's all bark and no bite the Chargers have been selling wolf tickets for the last couple of years.Or based on there off season moves it sound good on paper but (YOU STILL HAVE TO PLAY THE GAMES)A matter of fact i will go on record to say the Dolphins will have a better record then the Jets and the Patriots will win the Division again.;)

if there is a team that can take the #1 spot from the pats in the AFC east it's the fish they now have a real QB ronnie brown, will be back they have one of the best O lines in the NFL and a good young defense.

this is how I see the AFC east playing out

#1 pats 11-5 thay have a very hard schedule this year they will have to play great on defense to win more then 11 games

#2 the fish 10-6 wild card team

#3 the jets 9-7 watching the playoffs from home

#4 the bills 7-9 they make some steps but they are still the bills

Last edited:
I didn't hear it myself, but a friend tells me the Mikes both picked the Jesters to go 11-5.

I don't know whether to scoff or praise them for their restraint (i.e. so many other pundits seem to think the Jesters will go 15-1.) ;)

Greene had 100 carries. Jones was the reason the Jets were the #1 rushing offense. I dont believe how easily people toss aside an extremely productive player and think a 2nd year guy who has not come close to proving he can handle the full time load is an upgrade. Greene could be better than anyone expected he would ever be on the day he was drafted and still be a downgrade from Jones. LT is terrible.
As far as the OL, replace your best run blocker with a division 1AA rookies LT moving to G and you have made a dramatic change.
I don't get how these things just get ignored.

It's not exactly a 1 for 1 analogy, but I get a similar feeling to what happened in 2006. 2004 we had a horse in Dillon and he carried the running game. He wasn't the same in 2005 but the tandem was still solid. Once Maroney had to be the feature guy, it just stopped being as effective. I still have faith in our running game overall, but I wouldn't classify it as a weapon anymore, like it was when Dillon was the stud.

Same thing for the Jets here. They've lost the stud, and they're HOPING that a guy who's only shown good things in limited action can make that leap forward to feature back. But for every Michael Turner, there's a Laurence Maroney. Some guys just aren't meant to tote the rock 20+ times a game.

Early camp 11 on 11 drills haven't really alleived that concern since he has thrown a number of picks.

Just food for thought, Sanchez does happen to practice against the reigning #1 defense in the league. What he sees on sundays should be a tad easier to digest.

Just food for thought, Sanchez does happen to practice against the reigning #1 defense in the league. What he sees on sundays should be a tad easier to digest.

No, he doesn't. There is no such thing as reigning in football. Rosters turn over and teams are re-built and different every season. This season he's practicing against a much different defense than the one he played behind last season...on a team that despite it's defensive prowess it's own HC gave up on with two weeks remaining in the season before two teams literally laid down on their way to the playoffs. And one where Revis Island was so significant his own FO and HC turned him into the holdout monster he presently remains.

Although I hear yesterday Tubby commenced belching smoke up some spider man superstar's ass in his secondary... LOL

Except Revis isn't there and defenders can't touch him in practice meaning the pass rush pulls up. Also, there is no scheming or gameplan to disrupt Sanchez either. And Sanchez being a turnover machine in practice is a continuation of how he played in the regular season last year.

But on the flipside the defense will see almost every week a QB tougher than they see in practice every day.

Last edited:
Except Revis isn't there and defenders can't touch him in practice meaning the pass rush pulls up. Also, there is no scheming or gameplan to disrupt Sanchez either. And Sanchez being a turnover machine in practice is a continuation of how he played in the regular season last year.

But on the flipside the defense will see almost every week a QB tougher than they see in practice every day.

I was literally going to make every point you just made. Kudos to you for beating me to it :D

Do you (or anyone else) think that the Jests have gotten weaker at RB with Shonn Greene and LT.........than having Jones and Washington (and some greene filled in)?? I for one do not........I think Greene looked good towards end of last year....and the Jest OL is very good in run blocking. I don't see them missing a beat here this year to be honest.

Shonn Greene - 5'11", 226lbs, 25 yo in three weeks
180 att, 540 yds, 2 TDs, 0 rec, 3 fumbles lost

Not a bad start. Maybe we can find a comparable player for comparison.

5'11", 220lbs, 25 yo
175 att, 745 yds, 6 TDs, 22 rec, 194 yds, 1 TD, 1 fumble lost

That is Maroney's rookie season. Also split carries with a #1 back. Any particular reason why Greene is a stud and Maroney is a POS? Any particular reason why Greene has all the potential in the world but Maroney is already washed up...when they are the same age?

I'm not a Maroney cheerleader but I just don't understand the difference in evaluation. Greene may become a big deal, but any objective reason for believing that could also be applied to Maroney.

Shonn Greene - 5'11", 226lbs, 25 yo in three weeks
180 att, 540 yds, 2 TDs, 0 rec, 3 fumbles lost

Not a bad start. Maybe we can find a comparable player for comparison.

5'11", 220lbs, 25 yo
175 att, 745 yds, 6 TDs, 22 rec, 194 yds, 1 TD, 1 fumble lost

That is Maroney's rookie season. Also split carries with a #1 back. Any particular reason why Greene is a stud and Maroney is a POS? Any particular reason why Greene has all the potential in the world but Maroney is already washed up...when they are the same age?

I'm not a Maroney cheerleader but I just don't understand the difference in evaluation. Greene may become a big deal, but any objective reason for believing that could also be applied to Maroney.

It might have something to do with the last memory of Greene being his 10 playoff quarters of 54 carries 304 yards 5.6 avg 2 TDs before a rib injury.

The last memories of Maroney are him being benched against Jacksonville for fumbling, not playing against Houston, and then getting 1 carry for 2 yards in the playoffs.

It might have something to do with the last memory of Greene being his 10 playoff quarters of 54 carries 304 yards 5.6 avg 2 TDs before a rib injury.

The last memories of Maroney are him being benched against Jacksonville for fumbling, not playing against Houston, and then getting 1 carry for 2 yards in the playoffs.

That's a pretty small body of work to be basing anything on.....

Just seeing he had another injury might ring a few bells....

On paper...when healthy....

Isn't that the same defense that gave up leads in 6 games that they lost?

Sanchez working against a Revisless DB and working against other team's Defenses that will do lots of things to confuse him and have an actual gameplan in place just might be a little tougher....

just sayin

( sorry for the redundancy in posting...same was well said previously)

Last edited:
The Jets success pretty much hinges on Sanchez. The defense is extremely talented, but that will only take you so far in today's offense-driven league. Sanchez needs to step up and turn into a top tier QB if the Jets want to win a Super Bowl. I'd estimate there's about a .005437% chance of that happening. The dude's not that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes