PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike and Mike and the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the mikes assesments are fair. Get that greeny is a jets homer..but I think between 8 and 8 and 10 and 6 is reasonable prediction for the pats this season. We're ok offensively but IMHO we're going to go through major growing pains with backers and secondary.

Try naming a single position on D where we will be weaker than last year?

DL? no, maybe more depth, lost Green replaced with Warren & Lewis + Pryor and Brace have a year of exp. Stronger DL

ILB? Guyton may have lost his starting job to Spikes and McKenzie backup to Mayo, stronger ILB

OLB? A Thomas gone addition by subtraction TBC back Burgess gone, Burgess could have provided some help. Cunningham will not be much worse (if At all) than what we got from Thomas last year. Small falloff from last year.

CB? Butler now in second year, Bodden back, And McCourty seems to be earning a role as the 3cb instead of Wilhite. Stronger CB group

S? Same faces, Chung will be starter over Sanders, depending on how much progress Chung makes could be much stronger group. Stronger Safties

BB taking hands on role with D, Pees gone huge upgrade.

It was infuriating to listen to, especially when Greenberg (whom I like) said he could see all of the areas where the Jets have gotten better (which I'd argue all day), but he couldn't see one area where the Pats have improved.

And people keep talking about the D like it was ranked 26th in the league. They were 5th in points allowed, and 4th (or maybe 3rd) if you throw out the meaningless Houston game. That defense was young and inexperienced, and they still kept people out of the endzone all season. They suffered terribly from the offense not being able to close late in games.

Eh. Whatever. Football's here.

Couldn't see one area where the Patriots improved? That tells me that either he doesn't know much, or he is predisposed to hating the Patriots.

Might he not have at least considered improvement in the following areas?:

1. That horrible TE group last year replaced by Grunk, Hernandez, and Crumpler; two highly touted rookies, and a superior blocker.
2. Adding Holt, Price, Tate and others to Moss and Welker at WR. Big things in store for this WR unit. This one is a no brainer.
3. Adding McKenzie and Spikes at ILB.
4. Having Mayo a year removed from a significant injury.
5. Having Brady a year removed from a significant injury.
6. Having Warren a year removed from an injury that he played with.
7. Adding a 1st rounder to the mix at CB, along with two highly rated former rookies now in their 2nd season in the defensive backfield (Butler and Chung).
8. Going from the worst punter in the league last year, to drafting the highest rated punter in the draft.
9. Some may say this shouldn't count, but ridding the team of the non-team types/non-leaders, and bringing in the influx of leader types (5 or 6 rookies having been team captains, adding Damione Lewis and Holt etc.)
10. Replacing A. Thomas with ANYBODY is a huge upgrade, period. He was so weak. If the early reports about Cunningham continue into the season, this improvement could be HUGE!

Those are ten, and I could list more, but you get my point. The fact that somebody that does this for a living, can't see a single improvement doesn't say much for him.

Try naming a single position on D where we will be weaker than last year?

DL? no, maybe more depth, lost Green replaced with Warren & Lewis + Pryor and Brace have a year of exp. Stronger DL

ILB? Guyton may have lost his starting job to Spikes and McKenzie backup to Mayo, stronger ILB

OLB? A Thomas gone addition by subtraction TBC back Burgess gone, Burgess could have provided some help. Cunningham will not be much worse (if At all) than what we got from Thomas last year. Small falloff from last year.

CB? Butler now in second year, Bodden back, And McCourty seems to be earning a role as the 3cb instead of Wilhite. Stronger CB group

S? Same faces, Chung will be starter over Sanders, depending on how much progress Chung makes could be much stronger group. Stronger Safties

BB taking hands on role with D, Pees gone huge upgrade.

You are right on the money, and exactly right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote me:

The Patriots will be a slightly above average team at best in 2010.

9-7 at the very highest.

The Irrational exhuberence of the Jets fan in the preseason, I love it.

The chemistry of this team will be horrible, the OL & DL are both weaker.

Alan Faneca say hi, Vince can't wait to meet the rookie guard.

Vince will be occupied by Nick Mangold, who has covered him, rather successfully, one on one his whole career.

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Why can't September just get here

Quote me:

The Patriots will be a slightly above average team at best in 2010.

9-7 at the very highest.

Hey there Gut fan, what happened to that BIG Revis picture in your signature? If he's still the greatest, why don't the cheap ass punk b*tch jets FO just Pay the man?

Jets are going to lose to the Ravens in week 1 so the pats will allready have a game up on them

Hey there Gut fan, what happened to that BIG Revis picture in your signature? If he's still the greatest, why don't the cheap ass punk b*tch jets FO just Pay the man?

Because he is under contract for three more years and is being unreasonable in his contract requests.

Vince will be occupied by Nick Mangold, who has covered him, rather successfully, one on one his whole career.

I agree you lose to Balt, we beat you the Jets are 2 GB after week 2 the media goes nuts. I will record Joe B's rant on the fan after the game and enjoy forever. But you guys will have another off season championship to cherish.

I've been trying to say this for a long time but couldn't put it into words as well as you. Well done, sir! :D

And it's not only that the Jets lost team leaders like Washington, Thomas Jones, and Faneca. It's that they went the route of bringing in primarlily NON- team leaders/head cases as their replacements. Jets fans can't even argue that, because that's what they did.

You can't say that about Taylor, but you can say he's 82 years old-ish.

I love seeing Rivers and Gates calling out Tomlinson as not being a good teammate and being bigger than the team. He's the Jets problem now. Pittsburgh got rid of Hooch Holmes, and he's the Jets problem now. Ditto Cleveland last year getting rid of their head case WR. He's a Jet. Baby Mama Chromarite? He's a Jet now.

Jets fans can deny this all they want, but adding about everybody else's problem children, and putting them on one team is a recipe for disaster. If anybody can't admit that, they have not been watching sports over the last 4 decades. That approach worked exactly ONCE with the Raiders, and has never worked beyond that.

I have a once a punk always a punk theory, and now put all the punks in the same locker room...........................best of luck with that.

Last edited:
And it's not only that the Jets lost team leaders like Washington, Thomas Jones, and Faneca. It's that they went the route of bringing in primarlily NON- team leaders/head cases as their replacements. Jets fans can't even argue that, because that's what they did.

You can't say that about Taylor, but you can say he's 82 years old-ish.

I love seeing Rivers and Gates calling out Tomlinson as not being a good teammate and being bigger than the team. He's the Jets problem now. Pittsburgh got rid of Hooch Holmes, and he's the Jets problem now. Ditto Cleveland last year getting rid of their head case WR. He's a Jet. Baby Mama Chromarite? He's a Jet now.

Jets fans can deny this all they want, but adding about everybody else's problem children, and putting them on one team is a recipe for disaster. If anybody can't admit that, they have not been watching sports over the last 4 decades. That approach worked exactly ONCE with the Raiders, and has never worked beyond that.

I have a once a punk always a punk theory, and now put all the punks in the same locker room...........................best of luck with that.

I live just outside of Washington, DC.

The Jets organization is beginning to look mighty familiar.

So that means the Jets will be what? 7-9? 6-10?

Ha ha ha, thats great..notice how he probably wont say anything to this. Stupid F'n jets fans.

The clock management by O'Brien was shockingly bad. And everyone here keeps writing about the D being #5 in points allowed - - my question is what was it's rank in 4th quarters??? The D, time and time again, in games on the road crumbled in the 4th quarter last year.

They gave up a total of 96 points in the 4th last season. 21 of those in a meaningless game to Houston, so that leaves 75 points. 21 more in that Colts abomination, where the offense failed to (officially, anyway) get two yards. But that's still a meltdown, of course.

That leaves 54 points over the remaining 14 games, which is just under 4 points per 4th quarter. If I remember correctly, they didn't allow more than 7 points in the 4th in any of those games, either. More often than not, that defense was on the field for most of the 4th quarter, because that Pats second-half offense was horrendous.

Last edited:

I can't say I focused in that match up for the entire game of every game, but Vince has 19 tackles in the last three games vs. the Jets (15 solo). That doesn't seem to be successfully covering him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back