Welcome to PatsFans.com

"Might" make "Right": contest

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Jul 12, 2009.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,048 / 15 / -9

Feel free to play along -

1: Make note of the use of the words "may", "might," "could be", "as much as," "as many as," etc., in the usual mendacious right-wing fringemeister posts. 1 point each

2: Fake-issue posts set off with question marks -- for example, "Did Barack Obama murder JFK?????" count for 2 points.

3: Weasel-word parcelled with supposed hard-data number, within the post or the title, counts 3 points.

4. If the repackager of the mendacious "news" trumpets the false premise without the qualifying "might," "may," or other weasel word when present in the story, AND repeats supposed "hard data" number, it's the big 5-pointer!!!

I'll start:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ity-numbers-before-becoming-us-president.html

Let's see, rule 1...

Nothing in the title under the weasel word category (see rule 4 though...)

In the story, "might have used" and "as many as" not only appear, but appear back to back, for 2 points under rule 1. Since it's a legal finding we'll leave off "constitutes circumstancial evidence."

Total under rule 1: 2 points

Rule 2...
    Goose egg on the misleading question mark tactic.
    Total under rule 2: 0

Rule 3...
    Weasel-word packaged with a supposed hard-data number... "May have used as many as..." 149 addresses and 39 SSNs...

Tough call. First we have doubled-up on weasel words, and then we have two data sets purportedly spoken to... it is unclear whether the weasel-words are meant to apply to "149" or to "39" as well, but the very uncertainty militates for the latter.

I'll count it as 2 instances rather than 1 or 4 (i.e., both sets of weasel words applied to both data numbers [4], or just one big approximation [1]). I think that's fair.

So, under Rule 3... 6 points

Rule 4.
    And the big Kahuna, leaving out the weasel words from the purported "News" when mendaciously retitling thread with the purported hard data:

Yep, with the verb "USED" capitalized no less, as if to express just how much the OP wants to substitute "DID" for "MIGHT HAVE."

5 points!

Total Mendacity Count: 13!!!

Feel free to play along at home!!! It's fun n easy!!!

PFnV

2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Dude, you have WAY freaking too much time on your hands. Oh, that's right, you "work" for the gubmint. We used to call those "tit jobs" back in my day.

//

3. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,048 / 15 / -9

Regardless of what you and any other idiots call my job, I call it my job. You want me on that wall. You NEED me on that wall :D

Who do you work for again, foggy?

PFnV

4. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Wall?? What "wall"?? :confused:

Me?? I work for the Eternal Employer. You know, the One who built the place you call "home".

//

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  5. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,048 / 15 / -9

Unemployed. I thought so.

Anyway, can't count high enough to play the game, foggy? You really should give it a go -- lots of fun!!!

Anybody else? Come on guys, it's not that hard! Pick a thread, apply the rules, score the Lies!!!

PFnV

6. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

after reading that jibberish at the top of the thread i feel that i need to issue another...

[​IMG]

7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The game might be a bit more nuanced and complex than I'm in the mood for, right up PFinVA's alley btw. At least its original, as in demonstrating some original thought. As opposed to an epic fail picture, which has been done to death.

What's next there atom? Are you gonna throw up a lolcat pic with the citation: "PFinVA are dumb"?

8. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I see, fanny. So you apply your judgment to what is being "employed" and what is not? Opens up a Pandora's Box, of course, and what comes out is not likely to bring you much joy or peace. Your choice, not mine. What you wish for others will definitely come back to you.

A friend of mine had an aunt named, "Fanny". Is that you??

//

9. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,048 / 15 / -9

Hey foggy, don't pop off with your opinion of what a "tit job" is, make some vague threat against my livelihood, and then tell me "your choice..." all because you're living in a glass house and throwing stones, once again.

You already made a choice to specifically attack my employment. And once again, for any who wonder: I post here as a private citizen, and none of my posts are intended to represent the position of the US government nor any agency thereof; nor are any of my posts based on any knowledge that is not publicly available.

This thread, by the way, is about what I think is an evaluation tool for all the skanky "news" we see regurgitated here. If you can, play the game. If you can't, go to a thread where you can actually stick to the topic.

PFnV