PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Might be time to look elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I hope that the Pats sign Randy Moss. He makes the team substantially better and, at $8-10M per year, I don't think they can spend the money any more effectively. If he's rejected that offer, though, and is looking for more, then the Pats need to start looking for other ways to improve the roster with their cap space. It sucks, but they can't let the Deion Branch scenario play out again.

If they've made what they consider a fair offer, and if Moss has rejected it, then it looks like that may be the end of the relationship. It was a good year, and a shame that we didn't win a SB, but it was still a mutually beneficial agreement. The Pats got a dynamic threat on the cheap, and Moss got some team to pay him $12M per year, when only a year ago the going rate for him was a 4th round pick. The Pats will almost certainly be worse than they were last year if he's not around, but they'll also almost certainly be worse next year, and in the years that follow, if they're forced to allocate $12M+ to him.

The WR market isn't getting any deeper. If Moss isn't going to sign, then the Pats have to make a run at what's there, maybe even try to resign Stallworth. They can't afford to let Moss hold their FA plan and cap space hostage, while the good players sign elsewhere.

Javon Walker is the only impcat receiver available, but where is his head and his knee?

Javon Walker is the only impcat receiver available, but where is his head and his knee?

The cap space that not signing moss would make available wouldn't have to spent at WR. It could be used to jump into the bidding for Calvin Pace and Clark Haggans, to try to pull a trade for Lito Sheppard and give him a new contract, etc. The point is, there are still reasonable options for allocating that money available. In a week or 2, there might not be.

The cap space that not signing moss would make available wouldn't have to spent at WR. It could be used to jump into the bidding for Calvin Pace and Clark Haggans, to try to pull a trade for Lito Sheppard and give him a new contract, etc. The point is, there are still reasonable options for allocating that money available. In a week or 2, there might not be.

Moss has little impact on any of those. The Pats have more than enough cap space to pursue any of those options should they choose to while negotiating with Moss.

I still think we'll be talking to Cincy about Chad Johnson if Moss leaves.

Yeah, I'd be fine taking Chad Johnson if Moss wants to be a ******.

I still think we'll be talking to Cincy about Chad Johnson if Moss leaves.

What kind of draft pick are you thinking it would take to snag him? second rounder? You can get a starter with a 2nd round pick. I'd definitely consider trading a 3rd for him though, especially since the Bengals wouldn't exactly have a lot of leverage in that negotiation.

The Bengals accelerate 8m in dead $ onto their cap if they trade Johnson. It is logical to assume you will need to knock them over with a big offer if they are going to do that.

Last edited:
:confused:I seriously doubt that we could get chad johnson for a second round pick.. People remember the Pats are hated.. Besides the Raiders who are dumb, do you think the Bengals want to help us out??

Cincy would take a huge cap hit on his unamortized bonus.

No point in throwing good money after bad money, especially considering they're $31m under the cap. Cincy will likely trade him.

There are other options out there as well in Roy Williams and Larry Fitzgerald if the Pats want to sniff around the trade front.

As most of this teams are lean in the DL and our strength is DL . i can chad for eithe vince or ty warran as offer they will jump on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes