Welcome to PatsFans.com

Midnight Express - Billy Hayes Goes Back To Turkey

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Turk, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Turk

Turk Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Billy Hayes Reveals 'The Real Midnight Express' - CraveOnline.com

...In 1970, Hayes was arrested while attempting to smuggle Hash out of Turkey and sentenced to four years in jail. After his sentence was shifted into a life term only weeks away from his release, Hayes planned and successfully executed his escape from prison. Following his return to America, Hayes wrote a book about his experiences called "Midnight Express;" which was later adapted into a movie by director Alan Parker and screenwriter Oliver Stone with Brad Davis portraying Hayes on the big screen....

B.H - ... you don't see any good Turks at all in the movie. It creates an overall impression that Turkey is this terrible place and Turks are a terrible people. Which is not valid or true, both to my own experience and to reality. I actually loved Istanbul. I got along great with the Turks until I was arrested.

I don't like Turkish prisons and I certainly don't like the Turkish legal system. But you know, you could fill in the blank with any country in the world and you're not going to like their prison. And if you get arrested, you're not going to like their legal system. So, my problem with the film is that it created this overall impression that all Turks are like that; even though I have said in every interview I have done over the last thirty years — just what I'm telling you now — that that's not true.....

....In fact, the Turks were more concerned about me — my own physical safety — because the film was so derogatory against Turkey and the Turks. It destroyed the tourist industry for years and created this overall impression in the world — that they're still dealing with — which was "Oh my God, Turkey, 'Midnight Express.' We don't want to go there." And the Turks who brought me back were actually very worried about my safety. So they actually took very good care of me.

There was an international conference of 1,000 police officers from 85 countries in Istanbul meeting to talk about international police and global security. And these police had seen a Youtube video I did in 1997 where a Turk who I met at the Cannes Film Festival said that "I heard that you like Turkey." And I said just what I'm telling you now. That "I like Turkey, I wish they'd shown some good Turks."...

2. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Turkey didn't let me in to their country in 2003. Turkey sucks!!

3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,446 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Hi Turk ... good to see you popping in. ;)

One of my favorite movies of all time. Absolutely that movie paints a very negative view of Turkey. Nice to see that he took steps to correct things. I must have seen this movie at least a dozen times. Kind of sad really the things young kids stupidly do that change the direction of their entire life. I still watch the movie at least once a year when it shows up on cable. The music in the movie was expertly arranged which added to the movie's appeal.

4. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I heard an interview with Billy Hayes the other day... facinating guy. I actually haven't seen the movie, but I get the impression it does a horrible job of portraying Turkey. I have a good friend who is a history professor, and his focus is on the Hittite civilization, who lived in Turkey in ancient times. He goes there every summer and just loves it. So it's a shame such a place gets a bad rap.

Anyway, he was a neat guy, and I think people should check out that show to catch some of his story and see what it was really like for him.

5. Turk

Turk Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Were you denied a visa?
    If so, why?
    I am curious, because you are not even required to apply for a visa to Turkey, you just pay approx. 100 bucks at the point of entry and that is it.

Plus, I would venture to bet that the US does a heck of a lot more visa denials than Turkey.

The point here is that the movie did so much financial and PR damage to Turkey and unfairly so that it is somewhat of a relief that Oliver Stone and now Billy Hayes himself are coming forward with public apologies.