PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MidFielders: NomenClature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off The Grid

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
An humble educational inquiry, gents!!

I am PATHETICALLY ignorant of some basic aspects of the language, and I'm hoping I can persuade the more erudite of y'all to enlighten me on one aspect of this game, in particular:

Left to Right...what the Hell DO we call our LineBackers??

I'm thinking:

LOLB ~ Sam
LILB ~ Mike
RILB ~ Ted
ROLB ~ Will

Is that correct?? I tried to research this, and got hit with Sam/Mike/Will/Jack, which one of you was kind enough to inform me was wrong, in another thread, and which certainly seems intuitively wrong.

Any Education is gratefully appreciated. Feel free to bloviate!! :D

After last night's performance, just call them all....."TURNSTILES"

An humble educational inquiry, gents!!

I am PATHETICALLY ignorant of some basic aspects of the language, and I'm hoping I can persuade the more erudite of y'all to enlighten me on one aspect of this game, in particular:

Left to Right...what the Hell DO we call our LineBackers??

I'm thinking:

LOLB ~ Sam
LILB ~ Mike
RILB ~ Ted
ROLB ~ Will

Is that correct?? I tried to research this, and got hit with Sam/Mike/Will/Jack, which one of you was kind enough to inform me was wrong, in another thread, and which certainly seems intuitively wrong.

Any Education is gratefully appreciated. Feel free to bloviate!! :D

In the 3-4, either ILB can be the Mike or the Ted. The Mike and Ted usually applys to what responsibilities they do on a particular play and not where they line up. Typically, the line up is as you state, but not always. That is why you hear presnap QBs calling out the Mike.

Here is an explaition I found on the role of the TED in the 3-4:

So what exactly is the "Ted" linebacker? - Niners Nation

In the 3-4, either ILB can be the Mike or the Ted. The Mike and Ted usually applys to what responsibilities they do on a particular play and not where they line up. Typically, the line up is as you state, but not always. That is why you hear presnap QBs calling out the Mike.

Excellent.

Thanks, Bro. :cool:

There is no Ted in our 3-4. There is only Mike and Jack on the inside. Mayo has been in Jack, and Spikes has been on the strongside, and you will see them key on the TE and flip accordingly.

Last edited:

This is actually correct. We do not use Ted, because that would take away from Mayo's ability to read and or audible, if he has to be used as a neutralizer for Mike.

LOLB = Sam
LILB = Mike
RILB = Will
ROLB = Jack
iirc

Okay, from the old 4-3 defenses there was a Strong side (opposite the tight end, to the quarterback's back side), Middle, and Weak side (no tight end) linebacker. The initials corresponded to the names; Sam for Strong side, Mike for Middle, Will for Weak side. Obviously in a 3-4 there's a fourth linebacker, but where do the names Ted and Jack come from? And what are the differences between a Ted and Jack LB?

Okay, from the old 4-3 defenses there was a Strong side (opposite the tight end, to the quarterback's back side), Middle, and Weak side (no tight end) linebacker. The initials corresponded to the names; Sam for Strong side, Mike for Middle, Will for Weak side. Obviously in a 3-4 there's a fourth linebacker, but where do the names Ted and Jack come from? And what are the differences between a Ted and Jack LB?

Ted is strongside LB most often lines up on the TE direct, he is a hybrid LB/DE because his job is to stone for Mike.

Jack is inside weak LB.

LOLB = Sam
LILB = Mike
RILB = Will
ROLB = Jack
iirc

In our FB system, it is:

ILB strongside = Mike
ILB weakside = Jack
OLB weakside = Will
OLB strongside = Sam

Status