PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

mid-round players i'm excited about

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
All the talk seems to be about the first round of the draft. Most of our picks will be 3rd to early 5th rounders. We should be getting more excited about the glut of mid-round talent available. These are some overlooked players that I'd love to see in a Patriots uniform.

Ryan Cook - C/OT - New Mexico
OL isn't a big need after last year's score of Mankins and Koppen, but depth is needed at takle, and future starter at center would be great given Koppen's uncertain status. Cook could fill both those roles. He's big and strong, hard working with a mean streak. His technique needs work, but Donte's coaching will fix that.

Will Blackmon - CB/WR/KR - Boston College
Blackmon was considered a top 20 prospect by many prior to the start of the season. Out of need, he moved to receiver in 2005, and his stock has fallen to that of a day 2 guy because he lost that year at cornerback. Think of that. Blackmon gave up big draft status for the team. Tell me that's not a Patriot. What's forgotten is that Blackmon has the size, speed, hands, hips and work ethic to be a top-notch corner in the NFL, and on top of that, he's a big-time return man. I predict he will be a shut-down corner.

David Thomas - TE - Texas
A big, quick, reliable receiving tight end with excellent hands. Thomas is a smart route runner and a big end zone target. His blocking is below average, but he is a hard working and coachable player. Adding Thomas would give us an unrivaled 3 TE set, and, with a healthy Dillon, a powerful red zone offense.

Brandon Williams - WR - Wisconsin
Small and slight, Williams gets overlooked. He is the Badgers all time leader in receptions. He is a smart route runner. Not fast enough to burn an elite corner but quick enough to beat the defender on intermediate routes. A strong special teamer. His hands are among the best in this year's class. But, he's too small to make a real impact. Reminds me of this guy who was drafted a few years back named Deion Branch.

wr greg jennings from western michigan with our first third round pick

More of a late pick (or even FA)

Titus Adams, DT, Nebraska. Good run stopper, shortcomings seem to be discipline/maturity which can be remedied.

John Syptak, ILB, Rice. Has the skills and smarts. Converting from DE, and will need time to adjust. May be a project, but could follow a Vrable-like path.

tuckeverlasting said:
i hope to hell not.

Why not, he has alot of talent, doesn't he? Kind of a David Patten with more speed and no aligator arms.

mcbee said:
Why not, he has alot of talent, doesn't he? Kind of a David Patten with more speed and no aligator arms.
He has been a receiver that I was following also. I would include thse two as mid round receivers
Brandon Williams
Martin Nance
RB's
PJ Daniels
Wendall Mathis (THE Fresno St.)
TE
Tim Day (Oregon)
OL
Chris Chester (OK)
DL
Barry Cofield (N'western)
Stanley McClover (Auburn)
Parys Harelson (Tenn)
LB
Tim Dobbins (Iowa St)
Spencer Havner (UCLA)

tuckeverlasting said:
i hope to hell not.

take a look at his numbers

take a look at his press clips

read some of the write ups on him

this kid is going to be something special, believe me

as for martin nance-someone mentioned-could be a very solid possession receiver

SamBamsFan said:
He has been a receiver that I was following also. I would include thse two as mid round receivers
Brandon Williams
Martin Nance
RB's
PJ Daniels
Wendall Mathis (THE Fresno St.)
TE
Tim Day (Oregon)
OL
Chris Chester (OK)
DL
Barry Cofield (N'western)
Stanley McClover (Auburn)
Parys Harelson (Tenn)
LB
Tim Dobbins (Iowa St)
Spencer Havner (UCLA)

That is a good mid-round list.

Entire thread is a refreshing ... interesting ... change of pace!

stinkypete said:
All the talk seems to be about the first round of the draft. Most of our picks will be 3rd to early 5th rounders. We should be getting more excited about the glut of mid-round talent available. These are some overlooked players that I'd love to see in a Patriots uniform......

Will Blackmon - CB/WR/KR - Boston College
Blackmon was considered a top 20 prospect by many prior to the start of the season. Out of need, he moved to receiver in 2005, and his stock has fallen to that of a day 2 guy because he lost that year at cornerback. Think of that. Blackmon gave up big draft status for the team. Tell me that's not a Patriot. What's forgotten is that Blackmon has the size, speed, hands, hips and work ethic to be a top-notch corner in the NFL, and on top of that, he's a big-time return man. I predict he will be a shut-down corner.

Ya know, this one really made the ol' wheels turn. Kinda disappointed in his senior campaign, but the reason why was to help his team at WR. Great ST's ability. Was one of the best CB's as a jr. Total self sacrifice and team first attitude. And he has the speed moves and hands to be a servicable WR. To sum it up...work ethic, team first, can play all three phases effectively, with huge upside at CB. He's practically screaming for BB to draft him.

Barry Cofield is an interesting prospect. Many of the write ups I've been reading think he could be an excellent DE in A 3-4, similar to Castillo that the Chargers hit on last year. It's hard to say how the Pats feel about Hill, but if they need to give Hill some competition, Cofield could be that guy.
We need a WR/PR. Could Blackmon be that guy, hard to say. Rogers and Drew could add something to the return game, but neither could help, if needed in the secondary.

IMO it's a matter of when not if they will draft a DB this weekend. Cedric Griffin was overshadowed by Huff, but could be nice sleeper pick with one of their two 3rd round picks.

mcbee said:

my bad. i read it as first rd. pick.

finally someone mentions cedric griffin. that guy was awesome in the usc game. i thought he looked better than huff. jennings and griffin as our third rd. exacta would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes