Welcome to PatsFans.com

Michigan Woman Faces Civil Rights Complaint for Seeking a Christian Roommate

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

What a waste of taxpayer money and resources.

Michigan Woman Faces Civil Rights Complaint for Seeking a Christian Roommate

Published October 22, 2010

A civil rights complaint has been filed against a woman in Grand Rapids, Mich., who posted an advertisement at her church last July seeking a Christian roommate.

The ad "expresses an illegal preference for a Christian roommate, thus excluding people of other faiths,” according to the complaint filed by the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan.

"It's a violation to make, print or publish a discriminatory statement," Executive Director Nancy Haynes told Fox News. "There are no exemptions to that."

Haynes said the unnamed 31-year-old woman’s case was turned over to the Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Depending on the outcome of the case, she said, the woman could face several hundreds of dollars in fines and “fair housing training so it doesn’t happen again.”

Michigan Woman Faces Civil Rights Complaint for Seeking a Christian Roommate - FoxNews.com
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Disturbing sig, man.
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Worst part of this story is the woman was actually A MAN, BABY!

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

So nice to know another scumbag bigot is meeting justice. How dare anyone seek someone compatible to live with? If a Satin worshiper wants to move in, then let them and and like it!:rolleyes:
  5. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +493 / 6 / -7

You're not allowed to state discriminatory preferences in housing advertisements.

I thought this was common knowledge?
  6. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +70 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I don't know something smells fishy here. Just like the old saying (which i adhere to) "If its to good to be true then it probably is" so if its to absurd to be true it probably is. This women put this up in her church, and this happened it deosn't make any sense.
  7. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Waiting for the story to load. I would have to assume that the person who lived there, also owned it which would then make it a "violation" to only rent to certain people... even though she lived there herself. Although, if you own it, shouldn't you be able to rent to whoever you want? Since, you know, it's yours?
    Maybe it was a state run low income type place?
    Ok, no mention of anything in the story.
    Weird.
    A few funny quotes:
    So if I have a dwelling who just had a person in a wheelchair in it for 10 years, I can't mention that it is parapalegic friendly up on the local hospitol rehab center's bulletin board?

LOL. Someone's not a very nice Christian!!

Oh noes! I wouldn't feel welcome to rent one specific apartment that already has someone in it! Odds are if I am not Christian, I wouldn't want to live with this lady anyway. Although, if I was not Christian, I probably wouldn't see her flier up on her CHURCH bulletin board...
    Sweet jesus this is dumb.
  8. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Now that I think about it, the only place this lady was advertising was her own church. Did she really need to specify she wanted a Christian roomate?? Seems kind of a waste of ink on paper.
  9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Something's seriously wrong then. I can see it if you're renting out an apartment but if you're just seeking a roommate? That goes too far.
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +442 / 5 / -2

Lord knows (pun intended) that this was meant as a form of discrimination. Consider the logic here. If you're a woman, looking for a female roomate, it would be discriminatory to say so when you're looking for one. Really, that makes so much sense. What a waste of time and resources. With all that is going on in the world, this is truly a waste of time and money.
  11. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +493 / 6 / -7

I agree, though, that this is pretty dumb. Whomever reported this probably like the loser in my townhouse development who always calls to have cars towed. Get a life.
  12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The laws do not apply the same to an individual seeking a roomate as they would to, say, an apartment complex renting out 150 rooms.

I thought that was common knowledge?
  13. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +493 / 6 / -7

Actually, they do.

To wit, section 3604(c) of the Federal Fair Housing Act:

Generally when you attempt snark, it's a good idea to know what you're talking about.
  14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually they don't. According to your own logic, she shouldn't be allowed to request a female roommate and has to allow men the chance to live with her. You should read the actual article that the OP referenced:

"She is not prohibited by either federal law or state law from seeking a Christian roommate," he states in the letter as he cites the 1968 U.S. Fair Housing Civil Rights Act and the Elliot Larsen Civil Rights Act.

"To the extent either law is applied against her to interfere with her right to live with a Christian roommate, such action would be in blatant violation of her First Amendment rights to freedom of association," Oster contends.
    I agree, and yet you continue to make a fool of yourself time and again.
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +525 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

No, your article says this about shared living space and gender.

noting that there are exemptions in the law for gender when there is a shared living space.
  16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +525 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

No, according to the article posted it says that there are exceptions for gender when the living space is shared.

Yes, you should....if you had, you'd have read the above quote about exceptions for gender.

Yep, that's what her lawyer is claiming, alright. However, that's not what the courts have decided in this particular case, is it?

Why not wait and see if he's got the winning hand or the people who filed the lawsuit do?
  17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ah, so that clears thing up. You can't discriminate - unless you want to discriminate against men. Got'cha. :rolleyes:

This is just a losing case for any civil rights commission because they don't have the law (or common sense) on their side. If anyone disagrees with me, I will gladly place a gentleman's wager on how this case turns out.
  18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well you read my mind! I just made a post suggesting the same thing ( the "gentleman's wager").

Of course, I don't expect this will ever make it to an actual courtroom. This is the sort of thing where once the public hears about the absurd lawsuit being contemplated, the MI Dept of Civil Rights will meekly back down.
  19. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +493 / 6 / -7

Did you even read the statute? Methinks not.

Yep, okay. Keep telling us how the Constitution doesn't apply to non-citizens, Einstein. Regardless of the numerous times you've beclowned yourself in the past, what you stated here:

...is plainly incorrect. You like to talk tough but at the end of the day, as usual, you really don't know diddly.
  20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +525 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

The exception to the law applies equally to males or females, WP. It does not discriminate against men - or women. It merely says that if there is shared living space you can, legally, specify that the living space is to be shared by members of the same sex.