Welcome to PatsFans.com

Michigan Wolverines-possible patriots

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by patsfan55, Sep 16, 2006.

1. patsfan55

patsfan55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

so i just watched the whole umich vs notre dame game, as i used to be a huge michigan fan growin up, and try to watch them still every chance i get, but last few yrs havent gotten as many chances

anyway, here are a few guys i feel could be potential pats:

Lamar Woodley:
    used to be an outside linebacker, is now a defensive end
    6'2", 268 lbs, senior
    had a 55 yard fumble return for a td today
    seems like the type that could be a good transition to outside linebacker in our defense, although not that tall

Prescott Burgess:
    outside linebacker
    6'3", 246 lbs, senior
    could be a weakside linebacker, or inside linebacker
    frankly i just like the way this guy plays the game
    great athlete
    seems to have that extra burst
    had two interceptions today, one returned for a td, the other returned to the five i believe

Leon Hall:
    cornerback
    5'11", 193 lbs, senior
    ive heard more bout him than ive seen
    but i liked what i saw today
    i actually missed his interception though (put the auburn, lsu game on for like one minute)
    he had seven pass deflections today! and five last week!
    shutdown type corner

Steve Breaston:
    wide receiver, returner
    6'1", 182 lbs, senior
    this guy is a solid receiver
    and a great/explosive returner

Marrio Manningham:
    wide receiver, sophomore
    6'0", 187 lbs, he looks and plays solid
    this guy is gonna be nasty
    he had a great fresh yr
    and is havin a very good soph yr
    he had an incredible day today, with THREE TDS!!!
    he's still a soph, so he won't go to the draft til at least 08
  2. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Burgess is a Gamer. Love him. And Woodley is fantastic. He has really stepped it up this year. In fact, their entire D has with the inclusion of a new coordinator.
  3. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

I really like Leon Hall. He has the coverage skills and some run stopping aggressiveness that BB liks in his CBs. He also has a little quick twitch as well. Depending on how he runs, he could be a good pick for the Patriots.
    I did not see him on any of the special teams however, and that could be a problem.
  4. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Michigan corners have been very productive for the Pats in the past, even though it was only 1.
  5. Poll

Poll Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

NFLdraftcountdown.com has the Patriots liking Leon Hall.
  6. TNPatsFan

TNPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm a Michigan fan and I agree. All these guys mentioned are players. Manningham's only a soph and already shining. I'd love to see Hall and/or Woodley in a Pats uniform. One guy not mentioned, Jake Long has been impressive in these first few games at LT. And he's huge!
  7. rookBoston

rookBoston Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm a believer, when it comes to Woodley. I think he has a physical style that works well for us. With that size and versatility... and his ability to dominate at the college level. Hugely impressive.
  8. drpatriot

drpatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Add Alan Branch to that list. He would be a fantastic 3-4 DE.
  9. patsfan55

patsfan55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

hmm, i didnt mention harris
  10. chunkypony

chunkypony Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think Burgess is going to be a great UDFA pick up, and I think Breaston will shine as a 2nd day pick. Other than Manningham, who is still in school (and I hate with all of my Nittany Lion heart), I'd take anyone on that list.
  11. patsfan55

patsfan55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

ahh
    so psu means u currently attend penn state?
    one of my roommates jus graduated from there last may
  12. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Leon Hall will be a quality starting corner by year 2. Branch will be an impact player, but a notch or two below Wilfork and Ngata. Harris will be a solid starting LB by year 2. Woodley has a chance to eventually become an impact 4-3 end. I don't believe Burgess will ever be a starting LBer in the NFL (by starter I mean a player who starts the majority of his team's games in any single season).
  13. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -0

#75 Jersey

That doesn't surprise me. All the guys that happened to catch your eye were the playmakers that game (INTs, recovered fumbles, TD receptions, etc). 3-4 ILBs aren't usually going to make flashy plays that people fawn over. I'd be curious to see how many tackles he had.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  14. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

3 solos/3 assists
  15. patsfan55

patsfan55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

always fun to take a trip down memory lane
  16. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Interesting. What do you think of 6'2" 270# Brandon Graham, who many people compare to Woodley? I haven't seen much of him.
  17. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4 / 2 / -0

#54 Jersey

Good stuff, one pick could make a big difference, Woodley instead of Merriweather changes our pass rush issue. Ahh Crystal ball where were you?
  18. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I have no regrets about taking Meriweather. None whatsoever.
  19. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

But if Bill had used one of his 3 6th-rounders the year before on Antoine Bethea, he wouldn't have had to use his '07 1st-rounder on Meriweather. That pick could've been used instead on Woodley, David Harris, Atlanta Falcons CB Chris Houston or - my favorite - Falcons OG Justin Blalock.
  20. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Listening to Falcons fans on this board, Justin Blalock is the weakest part of their OL and Chris Houston is soft. They expect us to attack both of them on Sunday.

Do you realize how crazy it sounds to say "if BB had used one of his 3 6th rounders on X"? That's ridiculous. No one in the NFL is good enough to judge talent well that deep. BB is better than most based on our record, but even so it's totally hit or miss. We passed on Guyton for Bo Rudd. We passed on Pierre Woods for Mincey from Florida in 2006.

It's hard enough to hit in the firs round not to mention the 6th, and there's lots of misses in-between. We passed on Michael Turner for Cedric Cobbs (Turner went in the 5th round, we took Turner in the 4th, I believe in 2005). We took Dave Thomas in the 3rd and passed on Owen Daniels. We took Chad Jackson over Greg Jennings. Make those 3 changes and we are set for the long term at WR, TE and RB.

Harris, Woodley and Merriweather would all have been good picks in 2007. Be grateful that we got one of them. Meriweather was the highest rated of the three, and with Geno Wilson likely to leave after 2007 we clearly needed to groom a replacement. We had just brought in Adalius Thomas, who had versatility at ILB. Meriweather will be a stud for us.

Be grateful for what we got.
  21. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -1

Who knows how different things would have been if Thomas didn't break his foot in the weight room in the 2007 offseason.

That said, I'm not entirely sure it would have been very different at all, since the entire offense changed from the 2006 season to the 2007 season (when the Pats got a real WR corps).
  22. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

What exactly do we have, right now?
  23. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Great, so you wanted Eric Weddle. Meriweather is a much better player than Weddle at this stage, and looks to be making the leap to elite status. He's stepping up to become the leader of our secondary. I'll take him any day.

I want some LBs too. Maybe this year we'll finally see some attention, as it is obviously the weakest defensive unit. Theres's a lot of interesting prospects out there - Kindle, Spikes, McClain, Weatherspoon, and lots of DE/OLB conversion prospects. I'd like to see us use 2 of our first day picks on the LB position.

People used to say that BB thought he could win with JAG DBs. Well, he got burned good last year, and he clearly decided that the secondary needed upgrading, at the expense of the LB corps. Now he has Mayo, AD, and a bunch of JAG LBs. People keep saying he'll never spend high picks on LBs. I don't believe it.
  24. patsfan55

patsfan55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I completely agree with the don't be a monday morning quarterback talk most of the time. Problem is, a lot in here have been right over the last few years with some players the Pats didn't take. Who's to say such players would have been the same here. The Chad Jax over Jennings talk always gets my blood boiling. I'm a broken record with that one, literally talking about it with friends and family, and strangers, at least once a month. I was so adamant about the fact that Jennings would be the premier playmaking wideout from that draft, and well, whatever I'm gonna end my rant. Here's the thing, the Pats have not drafted all that well lately. I'm still drinking the koolaid in regards to x's and o's on the field, and letting vets go when they want too much money etc, but when it comes to draft day I don't just automatically think we got a bunch of studs because bb thinks so, cuz guess what, he just hasn't been hitting on many of them lately.
  25. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Do you think that BB has not drafted well these past few years, because our team is stacked with talent or because BB prefers veterans to rookies?????