PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michigan vs. Penn State

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Lemarr Woodley: hits like a feight train. Vicious, brutal tackler. Couldn't tell how quick he is, sometimes looked a bit plodding, although he supposedly is very fast. Reminds me of Daryl Tapp a bit, from Va Tech. Same size, same knack for getting to the QB despite what looks like some ordinary quicks, delivers ferocious hits. Seems like the leader of the gang, the meanest guy of a mean bunch, which shows some leadership traits. The announcers said he had dropped from 270 last year into the 250s this year to maximize his speed and quickness. From this game I'd say he's a mid 2nd rdr.
Leon Hall: made a nice open field tackle in the first Q. Showed some good ball skills going for an INT in the 4th, though he was interfered with and couldn't hang on. Hard to get a read on his coverage skills, since the front 4 pressure was ridiculous and Penn State went against the weaker corner opposite him almost exclusively. I'd like to think that's because Hall was dominant, but he was hardly in the screen. From what I saw I preferred Hall to Marlin Jackson (who's been a bust). Didn't show exceptional speed, the kind that jumps off the screen, like a Cromartie or Deangelo Hall. From this game, I'd say Leon's a late 1st rd talent.
David Harris: Looked slow and stodgy to me. Had a tough hit straight in front of him, but didn't show great range or anything dynamic. A run stuffer, a kind of bigger, slower Abdul Hodge at this point... 4th rd to 5th rd prospect...
Prescott Burgess: shows more athleticism than Harris, though he is very lean. Difficult to judge LBer play because of the how dominant the Michigan D-line was. A bit like Gerris Wilkinson, but 10-15 lbs heavier, maybe not quite as quick. 3rd rdr.
Posluzny: absolutely ordinary. Countless times a Michigan player was tackled, and there was P just standing next to the tackle like a bystander who didn't want to get his nose dirty, just slow enough to get there late. If the problem is the knee, fine. But really a discouraging performance. He looked like a UFA in this game. A kind of poor man's Barret Ruud.
Thoughts from anyone else who's watched these players?

Last edited:
i saw the first half only and form what i saw, pennstate tackling was very poor

it was quite disapointing to see on 3rd and 9....a mich wr getting a pass 2 yards from scrimmage and getting 8 or 9 yac when he shouldve been tackled .....very disapointing

just goes to show that henne made the right choice to go to michigan instead of pennstate...he had a better oppurtunity in mich and his exp showed...as opposed to morelli...who started his 6th game of his collegiate career...

very disapointing kicking performance yet again, from kevin kelly...you can almost expect a missed FG form him

Last edited:
Well, after watching the Michigan-OSU game,I'm surprised to find that I agree with my own earlier amateur analysis from the Michigan PSU game. Woodley once again vicious, but not very fast. Still thinking he may be a better 3-4 ILB than OLB. Probably late 1st to mid 2nd when all is said and done, definitely within reach of the Pats. Leon Hall... late 1st rdr IMO because of speed issues. This is good news for the Pats. Harris, as I felt earlier, is overrated. He's buttressed by the fantastic Alan Branch. Harris is a 4-5th rd LB. Burgess is a 4th rdr... I've heard some questions about his game IQ. As for Alan Branch... I'd pick him right behind Calvin Johnson. Not his best day today, even with the pick and the fumble recovery, but he is an absolute beast. Better than Pit**** on OSU by leaps and bounds. I like Branch more than Ngata, and I thought he was a top 5 pick last year. As for OSU...

If Drew Brees can play and play well in the NFL at 6'0'', Troy Smith can play. He'll be drafted at the beginning of the 2nd rd, and then become a pro bowl player for some lucky team after 3 years.

Still not sold on Ginn. I think he plays too soft for an elite NFL receiver, rounds off routes, doesn't make the sharp cuts when running routes. Just not sold on him. OSU is as much about T. Smith as Texas was about V. Young last year. With Zwick instead of Smith, theis OSU team would be 8-3 IMO.

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
If Drew Brees can play and play well in the NFL at 6'0'', Troy Smith can play. He'll be drafted at the beginning of the 2nd rd, and then become a pro bowl player for some lucky team after 3 years.
Vick's less than 6'1" also. Smith looked like McNabb minus 2 inches (in height ;)) to me. Same agility, ability to run while looking to throw. I really don't know why he'd get out of the low first round but certainly not far in the second. But if the Patriots needed a QB, I'd like him with a late #1. But I'm no scout and I hear people talking about the third round.

Last edited:
I would take Smith top 10. Smith stands in against pressure better than anyone in college football, while still maintaining his composure. There is no fear in him. You could see all the big bad Michigan defenders terrified of the little guy by the 2nd quarter. That silent assassin quality is essential to all great QBs. Smith reminds me of Brees with a better arm. Quinn reminds me of Harrington on 'roids (and I root for Quinn, by the way- just being honest).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back