Welcome to PatsFans.com

Michigan sees fewer gun deaths -- with more permits

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

As a firm believer in both the right to bear arms, and the need to have sensible regulations in order to aquire one, this article seems to reinforce what most believe. That safe, permitted, legal ownership has never been the problem.

Michigan sees fewer gun deaths -- with more permits

January 6, 2008

By DAWSON BELL

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Six years after new rules made it much easier to get a license to carry concealed weapons, the number of Michiganders legally packing heat has increased more than six-fold.

But dire predictions about increased violence and bloodshed have largely gone unfulfilled, according to law enforcement officials and, to the extent they can be measured, crime statistics.

The incidence of violent crime in Michigan in the six years since the law went into effect has been, on average, below the rate of the previous six years. The overall incidence of death from firearms, including suicide and accidents, also has declined.

More than 155,000 Michiganders -- about one in every 65 -- are now authorized to carry loaded guns as they go about their everyday affairs, according to Michigan State Police records.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080106/NEWS06/801060602/1008
  2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I bet the long term effects are an overall decrease in all sorts of crimes as well.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

The loons won't like that one, they'd rather see the Store Clerk shot than the Maggot Crook

When a store clerk with a legal Gun fights back and kills the bad guy the whacko's call the clerk a Vigilante, but if the crook kills the clerk they start talking abot the minimum wage or education.

:bricks:
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

Ted Nugent will be happy...
  5. scott c

scott c Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The permit process in Maine is thorough,but not impossible.......an honest ,law abiding citizen should be allowed to conceal carry....many states consider themselves as shall not issue,which means no concealed carry permits are allowed to anyone.......I wish more people would apply...:D
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

I've got a handfull of friends who carry concealed, legally. They've been carrying for almost 10 years now. I've shot all their guns, and I don't want one. To me, they're dangerous. Still though, I've always wanted to get my license, and still consider doing so. I don't let my personal opinion of weapons affect what is a constitution right. When done properly, with waiting periods, licensing, safety requirements, etc. there is very little to fear.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

I retired in 1987 and moved to Maine I have held a Concealed Permit ever since also had one in Mass but it was much more difficult to renew in Mass, I once had a Billerica Ma Police Capt say to me when I was renewing, "why do you need a gun, we will protect you" I replied "by the time you get there to protect me I will be dead"

:bricks: