PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michelle Beadle (Cowherd's show) fact about BB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbb9s

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
On this SportsNation show that is on ESPN2 and on the radio, Michelle Beadle just reported that Rex Ryan went out to the practice field today with a shovel and buried the game ball from the Pats game to symbolize the team putting the loss behind them.

There was some shallow discussion (and criticism) about this motivational tactic, and Beadle said that Belichick went through the halls of Gillette's offices and removed all the trophies and memorabilia, pictures whatever, from the Super Bowl wins to keep the team modest and not become complacent on past success.

I've read a lot about all the photos and other things they do at the stadium (interesting tidbit: Watson's pursuit of Bailey is the only photo from a losing game in the collection) but I never read this.

Any insight or comments from players? I never heard or read this.

Last edited:
This is actually pretty old news. Happened in the offseason. Belichick removed pictures of the old dynasty teams from the around the building so that the current team could form it's own identity instead of trying to take on the identity of the old teams. That's why a lot of us around here don't like to compare them to the old teams.

It was all over the news, and talked about in here alot when it happened...

Happening in training camp (or preseason), and I think Belichick even made mention of it after the Cincinnati game, saying something like, "This a helluva a start, so let's put some new pictures up on the wall and get to work on the Jets," or something similar to that. Looks like they want to start building THIS team's legacy rather than feeling like they have to carry on the old team's.

On this SportsNation show that is on ESPN2 and on the radio, Michelle Beadle just reported that Rex Ryan went out to the practice field today with a shovel and buried the game ball from the Pats game to symbolize the team putting the loss behind them.

There was some shallow discussion (and criticism) about this motivational tactic, and Beadle said that Belichick went through the halls of Gillette's offices and removed all the trophies and memorabilia, pictures whatever, from the Super Bowl wins to keep the team modest and not become complacent on past success.

I've read a lot about all the photos and other things they do at the stadium (interesting tidbit: Watson's pursuit of Bailey is the only photo from a losing game in the collection) but I never read this.

Another fact: This burying the ball thing was also used by Belichick in 2001, after a loss to the Dolphins, if I'm not mistaken.

The only difference is, he didn't just run to the media to divulge that information, we only heard about it in The 2001 Patriots' America's Game.

This is actually pretty old news. Happened in the offseason. Belichick removed pictures of the old dynasty teams from the around the building so that the current team could form it's own identity instead of trying to take on the identity of the old teams. That's why a lot of us around here don't like to compare them to the old teams.

must have been on vacation and missed it.

yea - you can't compare them. Brady and Light (and Faulk) are the only ones left from the Rams game. Throw in Scar and Adams.

guess this worked. taking down all the photos and all. Kind of like that rusty anchor from 2001.

Another fact: This burying the ball thing was also used by Belichick in 2001, after a loss to the Dolphins, if I'm not mistaken.

The only difference is, he didn't just run to the media to divulge that information, we only heard about it in The 2001 Patriots' America's Game.

Rod - if this is true, you should email Cowherd. He made fun of Rex for the gimmick and said something about how Belichick doesn't waste his time with this kind of stuff. He is watching tape to actually increase the chances of winning..

It was in the middle of off-season (end of July), so it would have been easy to miss.

Anyways, I was looking for a link to an article for you and it's very interesting to go back and read what was being written then about the Pats, all the questions, concerns and topics, from just a few months ago.

New England Patriots training camp postcard - Don Banks - SI.com

Rod - if this is true, you should email Cowherd. He made fun of Rex for the gimmick and said something about how Belichick doesn't waste his time with this kind of stuff. He is watching tape to actually increase the chances of winning..

It was either the game ball or an anchor or something, but yeah, there was definitely a gimmick like that. As I'm from Brazil I can't watch videos on Hulu, but they have the America's Game: The 2001 Patriots video up there, so you can watch that to make sure, if you're interested.

Thanks for the link!

I can predict some improvement for the Patriots running game-by-committee this season, but I don't see it taking a significant step even with the healthy return of Fred Taylor, 34. He and Laurence Maroney combined for 1,026 yards and 13 touchdowns last year and should again form a lead-back tandem. Obviously the Patriots need more than six games out of Taylor this season. Then there's Sammy Morris in short yardage situations, the reliable Kevin Faulk as a change of pace or third-down (or even fourth-down, remember?) back, and the wonderfully named BenJarvus Green-Ellis (i.e. "Law Firm'') waiting in the wings for a larger role.

Bahahahahahahahah!

Last edited:
Yes, BB buried the ball after the Miami loss in 2001 (Brady's 2nd start). He did it to start the first practice of the following week, to say that game is dead, lets move on to the next one. They went 13-2 the rest of the way.
The difference appears to be that BB did it for the psyche of his team, and Ryan did it so he could tell the media.

The other item (someone said rusty anchor) was in 1996 Al Groh brought a shovel out and planted it in the ground at something like the 35 yard line saying that no one gets past it. They used it for the rest of the season.

Yes, BB buried the ball after the Miami loss in 2001 (Brady's 2nd start). He did it to start the first practice of the following week, to say that game is dead, lets move on to the next one. They went 13-2 the rest of the way.
The difference appears to be that BB did it for the psyche of his team, and Ryan did it so he could tell the media.

The other item (someone said rusty anchor) was in 1996 Al Groh brought a shovel out and planted it in the ground at something like the 35 yard line saying that no one gets past it. They used it for the rest of the season.

BB also brought a rusty anchor into the locker room in 2001.

BB has used a ton of "motivational gimmicks." Including brining coaches who had won despite adversity and such. Guys who the team could respect.

Cowherd is like most other mediots..When he can't understand something, he has to make fun of it.

BB has used a ton of "motivational gimmicks." Including brining coaches who had won despite adversity and such. Guys who the team could respect.

Cowherd is like most other mediots..When he can't understand something, he has to make fun of it.

Umm, I think that's what Rex does. :singing:

Let's get out the axe for the locker room. :eek:

That's a huge difference. Rex is focused on his public image, and it's pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes