Welcome to PatsFans.com

Michele Bachmann Rewrites History

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

From a recent speech given by Michele Bachmann -

"How unique in all of the world, that one nation that was the resting point from people groups all across the world. It didn't matter the color of their skin, it didn't matter their language, it didn't matter their economic status.... Once you got here, we were all the same. Isn't that remarkable? It's absolutely remarkable."

It certainly is.....if you don't mention slavery. I'm pretty sure the slaves brought over to this country didn't feel "the same." While it is true that The Constitution didn't actually use the words "slave" or "slavery," slavery is referred to in a couple of places. For one thing, there was the 3/5 Compromise where every 5 slaves counted as 3 people in terms of apportionment for the House of Representatives. Further, the government was given the power to restrict the slave trade. Finally, there was a section where it says that if people held to service or labor (slavery) in one state escape them must not be freed by the laws of another state.

I also doubt that the Irish, who often faced signs in business windows stating, "No Irish," and the Japanese who spent years in Internment Camps during the WWII hardly felt "the same," as everyone else in America.

Moving on to the topic of our Founding Fathers and slavery, Michele went on to say that slavery was a "scourge" on American history, but added that "we also know that the very founders that wrote those documents worked tirelessly until slavery was no more in the United States."

"And," she continued, "I think it is high time that we recognize the contribution of our forbearers who worked tirelessly -- men like John Quincy Adams, who would not rest until slavery was extinguished in the country."

PostPartisan - Michele Bachmann's 'absolutely amazing' view of history

Nice try, again, Michele, but John Quincy Adams was the 6th president - born 1767 (which would have made him a 9 year old "Founding Father," had he actually been considered one by anyone but Michele.) He died in 1848, 15 years before the Emancipation Proclamation of 1863 - so he rested all right - in his grave for a decade and a half.

And this woman is giving a State of the Union rebuttal tonight? And she wants to be president?

She's got part of her speil right - Only in America.
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

She probably just forgot.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -4

My Jersey:

Nobody's perfect, look what we have for a President today and then look at the clown he picked for his vice President and if something happened to them take a good look at the skanky grinning shrew that would then be president Nancy Blinky Teeth Pelosi.

Your Right, Only In America.
  4. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I read it on Wikipedia so it must be true:

"Before 1820, Adams was best known as an exponent of American nationalism. Late in life, especially after his election to the House, he was noted especially as most prominent national leader opposing slavery."

"They became bitter enemies. Adams vilified slavery as a terrible evil and preached total abolition"

John Quincy Adams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See? We all say dumb things sometimes Mrs!

I agree that she totally missed the mark with the first part you quoted. I think what she was going for was the idea of the US as the land of opportunity. Its good to have a positive message, but you're right, there should be a little dose of reality in there too.
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

Um, no, Harry.....should anything happen to both Obama and Biden it would be that cranky, whining cry-baby, John Boehner who would be president.

Apparently you're not as well informed as you pretend to be.
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

I never said he was not an abolitionist - what I said was, in reality, he did not see the end of slavery in his lifetime, so her message of "he did not rest until...." was stretching the truth.

Truth would have been, "John Quincy Adams fought tirelessly for the abolishment of slavery, but even he did not see it end in his lifetime."

Plus, there's that little misstatement calling Johnnie Q a "founding father," further making it sound as though slavery were abolished by the founders of the constitution.

Opps. Time warp.

I agree....let's see how everyone feels about that when the president makes his (positive) State of the Union address tonight.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -4

My Jersey:

My Bad, I can't get those false teeth and that grin out of my head.......:p
  8. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

He spent his latest years fighting for abolition, it wasn't his fault he died before it came about!!! He served as a Rep until his death and opposed slavery, I would qualify that as fighting tirelessly. Don't be upset just because Michelle Bachmann knows more history than you. ;)

As to the state of the union, yes, people will find reason to complain no matter what Obama says, just as they did with Bush before him. Personally I agree with the role of the President as a "cheerleader in chief." It is his job to bring a positive message to the people. Imagine what wall street would do if he came out and said "oh man, we're in some deep doo-doo with the Chinese and this debt! Anyone have any ideas?" I made the same argument during the end of Bush's term when he stayed positive despite bad economic news.

One other thing, I thought Paul Ryan was giving the Republican rebuttal to the state of the union, is Bachmann doing her own thing for the Tea Party? Paul Ryan is a sharp dude, maybe she should sit this one out and let him take care of business!
  9. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

When politicians invoke the founding fathers, you can be confident they're going to be wrong.
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

And don't spin it like she was being entirely truthful, either. Lots of people
    fight tirelessly" for things they believe it....however, if it does not happen in their lifetime we do not say they "fought until it occured," as if they, personally, took part in the glory and the celebration.

I also don't understand why she didn't just jump to Lincoln - who actually DID take part in the glory. He belongs to "her" party, and he did every bit as much, if not more, than John Q. did.

Her intent was to confuse the two John Adams - and tie the abolition of slavery into the constitution - and she failed.

He is....so is she. She is giving the "Tea Party Rebuttal," which leads me to believe that, regardless of how people insist that the Tea Party is a "movement" within the Republican party rather than a political entity in it's own right, that there are many Tea Partiers who disagree with them - and they're making their move.

Also, just as an aside, remember what good friends Michele and Sarah were? I wonder how Sarah feels about Michele making noises about being a presidental candidate from the same branch of conservatives that Sarah would have been counting on?

Seems to me like Michele is seeing an opportunity in Sarah's recent flub and is racing, full speed ahead, to capitalize on it.

Instead of coming out and supporting her "friend," her "sister," her fellow "Mama Grizzly," she is donning the colored leather, flipping her hair back and pushing Sarah right out of the limelight.

Ah, well, their politics, their clothes, their lack of knowledge and their rewrites of history are interchangable, maybe they are, too.
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

No surprise Bachman or many other politicians are wrong, lazy, willfully ignorant, or flat-out liars. This time though, Bachman manages to be all at once, as she has before. She throws out ideas and mythologies that she thinks will resonate with the hard-core neocon base that is so closely allied to the TP, and more often than not, she is right. People who blindly adhere to anything that is attached to the word "conservative" (For example: belief that Saudi Arabia and Israel's position on everything is sacrosanct and that everything the government does is unnecessary (except for security and bombing other countries). Those are the same fools who think Christianity is "under attack", that tax breaks for the rich create jobs, and Ronald Reagan and Ollie North are American heroes. Of course they're going to believe in the mythological version of American immigration history as presented by Bachman. Mythology is big with this ignorant crowd who, when they are informed that Indian reservations were not established to protect the Indians, protest about "revisionist history" being forced on their small minds by elitists and intellectuals who are out to destroy the American Way.

Bachman and her type are not stupid. She is intentionally lying because she lives by the philosophy of PT Barnum.
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Hahahah....

Thank goodness she doesnt work in our representative government...

wait.....what?

In all seriousness, what better representative of our society than Bachmann? Clueless. misinformed and angry.
  13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Exactly.

Imagine if she and Bernie Sanders hooked up and combined their DNA?:eek:
    Talk about tearing the fabric of the time-space continuum!
  14. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Bachmans a douche no doubt. I am no fan of that woman. That being said, are people really arguing over her saying tirelessy till whatever, with respect to JQA's fight for abolition? Seriously now people. I know the Patriots aren't playing anymore, but wow is arguing over that truly a waste of one's time.
  15. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Very confident chico. The sadder part is that the people they're speaking to usually have no clue how wrong these politicians tend to be.
  16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

And they're counting on that.

It's probably why they're always against giving any more money to education.
  17. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Actually, I think she is. Granted, stupidity is relative -- but for somebody who theoretically is a leader of our country, I'd say she is stupid. I agree with you that she is calculating and manipulative, but the times I've seen her interviewed, I've seen little capability to answer a question with a relevant, supportable answer that isn't pre-packaged.
  18. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Yup. He's not a politician, but whenever I think of these "political figures" spouting off about the founding fathers and the Constitution, I think of one of the instances when I watched Glenn Beck. This was a couple years ago, and a friend who is a staunch Republican really wanted me to watch a particular airing -- so I did. My friend is relatively well educated and certainly more intelligent than most people. But what he thought was such an insightful program was riddled with half-truths, misinterpretations and outright lies.

At the time, I had been reading a lot about the Revolution, the Founding Fathers and the Constitution and other founding documents, so I don't think it would at all be an exaggeration to say that at the time, I would have been in the top 1% of Americans in knowledge about those things (I don't think that's much of a boast given the general lack of knowledge). But, still, the sheer quantity, and the percentage, of what he said that was misleading was staggering -- and much more staggering is that most of his viewers would swallow it as fact.
  19. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The Mrs. was wrong, I called her on it, and she can't bring herself to admit a mistake.
  20. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Yep, we (as a nation) get the government we deserve. On the other hand, what sensible person would subject themselves and their families to a run for public office?
  21. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

You really didn't just type that did you? We spend over half a trillion dollars on education in this country. We spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000 per pupil, per year on k-12 education. Here in Massachusetts the average is in the $10-15k range per pupil per year, depending on the city or town you're in. Money isn't the problem when it comes to education in this country. The problem is parenting, and the lemon factory that is the gubmit education system.
  22. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I agree. I think she's a moron as well, but calculating and manipulative with the best of them. Like you said, "stupidity" is relative. Bachman is no different than 80% of the loser dopes we have serving in office. There are very few people in office who are honest and true in their beliefs. The Bachman types talk a good game, but ultimately they only do so to satisfy their personal agenda. I think this is where the Tea Party's lack of being a genuinely organized group will hurt them. Being as they are, frauds like Bachmann will be allowed to either align themselves as a spokesperson for the TP, or be aligned with the TP by those who do not like the Tea Party. Being a grassroots movement though, the TP truly shouldn't have an organized leadership. If they have to have a rep in office, someone like Ron Paul would be the person to have lead them. Only because he's loosely aligned with party politics, and is more independent and trustworthy than a stooge like Bachmann.
  23. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I can't watch Glenn Beck. I think he's uber cheesy. I can honestly say I've never tuned into his show. My barber, when he still had cable in his shop, would always tune into Beck. I just can't understand why people watch that guy. I saw him on BOR once with barbie dolls and a plastic corvette. I was like wtf kinda drugs is this guy on? Total cheese.

If you like books about the founding of this country, you might want to check out a book called Founding Brothers by Joseph Ellis. I came across it a long time ago when reading MMQB. Peter King mentioned seeing it in Tiki Barber's locker, and so I checked it out. It's a very informative book.
  24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I posted this in its own thread a week or so ago, its an interesting lecture on the changing education paradigms.

YouTube - RSA Animate - Changing Education Paradigms

you are correct when you use the word "Factory" to describe our outdated educational system. There is a lot of blame to go around, but I'd tend to think the problem is rooted in societal denial, and our general lethargic nature when it comes to change.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  25. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Yes, good book. Ellis's books are usually pretty good, an very accessible.

I'm trying to start reading about that period and about US Presidents again. Been reading a lot lately but mostly fiction b/c I find it much easier after long/annoying workdays. Hoping to start w/Glorious Cause (Middlekauff -- revolution) and Douglas Freeman's Washington (the 1-volume edition -- not the 7 :) ).
  26. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

That's a terrific video Holy.
  27. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I wish I had more time to read. Between work, sports, being married, my PS3, the gym, and my post in a private club I'm a member of, reading has taken a back seat. I read more in my 20's than I do now in my 30's. I wish there were more hours in a day.
  28. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Yup... I am definitely not one of these people who can't do without work, despite always having been in "type A" work roles. Between reading, working out, golf, some other interests and travel, I could fill those hrs quite easily (and with far less worry and frustration). (Funny, too, how my "number" has come down considerably over the years... if I'm able to sell this business in a couple years, that might do it for me -- despite it being at a # that is a fraction of what I would have said 15 years ago)
  29. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I am pretty sure that slavery was around as long as civilization. My hero, Wilberforce, started the process that lead to the complete abolition of legal slavery. Slavery still exists, but it is no longer legal.

From the introduction to the excellent biography of Wilberforce by Eric Metaxas:

Eric Metaxas Archive Introduction to AMAZING GRACE

It's easy from to judge those in the past from where we sit, but I think you are not giving credit to those who created the framework that lead to the development of our nation. Those ideals were correct and it has been a long struggle trying to live up to them. Not sure why Bachmann chose JQA, but she could just as well have looked at Thomas Jefferson:

Thomas Jefferson and Slavery - Thomas Jefferson's Monticello

Right, so they flocked to, umm, exactly where instead? No other nation has ever had the mass immigration that ours has. I think that was the point.
  30. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The more glaring example of Bachman's idiotic rant was how she completely whitewashed the immigrant experience throughout US history. This country was a rough place in the mid 1800s and lawless in many parts. It was a far cry to today's civilization and order and shouldn't me made to seem like everyone showed up here with equal opportunity and total lack of prejudice as she would like to have us believe.

How this moron got to be on the Intelligence committee is beyond me. Talk about Bizarro World!