PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Wilbon is SCUM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGameguy

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I know that this was mentioned briefly in another thread, but I think this story deserves it's own. Today in a chat session (which can be found here http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2007/10/24/DI2007102402052.html?hpid=topnews) Michael Wilbon of the Washington Post and ESPN's PTI openly advocates for an opposing defensive player to commit a personal foul and injure Tom Brady by taking out his knees. This is perhaps the most unprofessional act committed by a sportswriter that I have seen short of plagiarism. Not only is it unprofessional, but it is dangerous and immoral. To suggest that someone have their livelihood and health threatened because you cannot beat them is absolutely terrible.

To be honest, I think ESPN and the Washington Post need to discipline him, but I feel like they won't move on it unless readers/viewers express their outrage. Who would be the best person to contact? The ESPN ombudsperson? Im afraid that this will seep through the cracks because it wasn't said in a column or on PTI, but in an online chat session, with a decidedly smaller audience.

This is absolutely dispicable. I always thought Wilbon was kind of a trash columnist, but this is just terrible. This is the type of twisted, contrived relativist moralism that Wilbon and others in the sports media are espousing: running it up on old man Gibbs is bad, but purposely injuring a player is ok. Awful, awful.

pft picked this up
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
WILBON SUGGESTS TAKING OUT BRADY

I mentioned earlier in the day the possibility that "ome crazy-ass defensive lineman" might decide late in the latest Patriots blowout win that he doesn't like the fact that quarterback Tom Brady is still on the field, and that said "crazy-ass defensive lineman" might opt to go Vince Wilfork on Brady's knee.

Though some readers have assumed that this means I'm actually encouraging some crazy-ass defensive lineman to take out Brady's knees, let's be clear on this. I'm merely recognizing the obvious. It would be reckless and irresponsible to argue that a player should actually target Tom's patellar tendon.

Of course, not every writer apparently feels this way.

Mike Wilbon of the Washington Post (whom we like) has openly advocated taking out Tom's kneecaps during a Monday chat session.

The question was as follows: "I can understand Bill Belichick's desire to crush every team in the NFL, but why keep your franchise QB in there to do it? One cheap shot helmet to the knee and it's goodbye Super Bowl unless [Matt] Cassell suddenly gets good."

Says Wilbon in response: "You're absolutely right. And if I was on the opposing team, I'd hit Tom Brady with everything I had as late as I could and take the penalty and join the fight that would surely follow. Football is a violent game and there's got to be somebody out there sharpening his fan[g]s for the Patriots Golden Boy in the 4th quarter one of these weeks."

We expect to hear more and more about taking out Brady as the weeks go by -- and we think that the team with the most to gain via his absence needs to be monitored closely for low hits this weekend, especially since Colts defensive line coach John Teerlinck has a reputation in league circles for teaching his pupils to aim for the ACL.

If Indy takes Brady out then Manning needs to be next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back