Welcome to PatsFans.com

Michael Vick Town Meeting

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Pats Fanatic, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Pats Fanatic

Pats Fanatic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -3

#54 Jersey

Has anyone else seeing this on ESPN now. I think this a bunch of crap. To me it seem very bias toward Vick, he's the scapegoat and it's because of his race and s on. ESPN is really garbage now.

2. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,164 / 5 / -19

#61 Jersey

Don't tell me, let me guess: His supporters are saying that he apologized and asked for forgiveness, so we must forgive and forget and welcome him back with open arms.

3. BradyisGod

BradyisGod Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I lasted 10 seconds until they started making comparisons to the videotaping. That thing is a lynch mob in reverse.

4. Stop Being A Jerk

Stop Being A Jerk On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Can't believe people are getting stupider but they are.

5. the taildragger

the taildragger Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

an all new low for the four letter network.

it's real simple...was he framed or not?

thank you.

it's now safe to dispense with the "Free Mike Vick" shirts.

the only town hall we need in this country is when they start letting celebrities get away with rampant criminality.

6. JoePats

JoePats In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

They actually did that?

7. the taildragger

the taildragger Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

one NY Times writer actually said he now has an "opportunity" to do something with his life.

yes, after he serves the time for, you know, BREAKING THE LAW.

I've lost all respect for Bob Ley....really an all new low.

8. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I refuse to watch the huggerthon, but PFT apparently can't resist:

"As we watched the 90-minute ESPN special regarding the Mike Vick situation, we've been receiving e-mails from readers who were appalled by the apparent bias in favor of Vick. But we didn't really spot a lot of bias on the stage; instead, the pro-Vick crowd seemed to be heavily represented in the audience, and willing to make themselves heard.

Early in the show, comments from former NFL receiver Terance Mathis caught our ears. Mathis said that he spoke to Vick recently, that he told Vick he'd be coming on the show, and that he said to Vick, "What do you want the people to know?"

Vick told him, "If I'm guilty of anything, it's being loyal to friends and to family." :rolleyes:

The next thing Mathis was, in our view, particularly interesting. "He said to me, 'I have never, ever picked up a gun and killed anyone or anything in my life," Mathis said. "I love animals.'"

First of all, Vick has admitted to participating in the killing of dogs. Second, a federal judge soon will be sentencing him on conspiracy charges, and federal agents currently are working on a pre-sentencing report. If the extent to which Vick is genuinely accepting responsibility for his conduct is a factor in determining the specific duration of his sentence, and if Vick is saying things that are contrary to his guilty plea, his sentence could be longer than it otherwise would have been.

As a result, the feds might be paying a visit to Mathis to confirm that Vick said what Mathis said he said.

Also, why would Vick say that he has "never, ever picked up a gun and killed anyone"? No one has ever accused him of that.

Officially.

Recently, there were reports linking Vick's Bad Newz Kennels to a guy who was found shot and killed. So is Mike feeling a little nervous about the possibility of an eventual murder charge? If not, why would he talk about guns and killing people in a case that has at no time involved either subject?

Bottom line -- we think there are still plenty of potential layers to this whole thing. "

;)

Florio is all over Poindexter as well as he apparently was unable to explain to the media present today why Vick and his co-conspirators were not indicted on the animal cruelty counts when they admitted to killing dogs in their Federal statements. He was apparently asked if those were shown to the jury and he persisted in claiming he has no idea what was shown to the Grand Jury, they were given papers but he does not know what was on them. Prosecutors convene and run Grand Jury proceedings, unless Poindexter operates in some parallel universe. Florio is calling on the VA AG to step in and take over the process.

9. letekro

letekro In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +19 / 2 / -3

We should probably move this thread somewhere else.

But, I have to say, the statement made by the Atlanta journalist that the NFL was not consistent vis a vis its punishments to Belichick and Vick was completely irresponsible and clearly done to appease the overwhelming pro-Vick sentiment in the room. Just another example of the terrible fall journalism has taken.

10. bungholio

bungholio Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm going to catch hell for this, but I watched some of that and I couldn't help but wonder at the positive responses in favor of Vick that were occurring.
    Why is it that black people view dogfighting as OK and not a big deal?
    There were assertions that it was a cultural thing, but I can't help but wonder....WHY?
    Anyone that loves a dog as a pet should be apalled at the allegations, and I'm kinda on the fence as a dog lover (I have one that I did not want due to the wife, and of course, now I am the feeder, walker, poop-cleaner, etc).
    They asked the crowd that question about whether dogfighting should be illegal or not, to answer with applause, and the usual droopy pants crowd and their hangers-on were up in arms, clapping their asses off.
    Vick broke federal laws regarding cruelty to animals...why the apologists?
    I just don't get it.
    I suppose I'll be labelled as racist and a fuddy-duddy, but...I just don't get the outpouring of support from the black community in Atlanta...ESPECIALLY since he isn't a very good quarterback!

11. letekro

letekro In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +19 / 2 / -3

First of all, I think it would be irresponsible for federal prosecutors to include Mathis's comments in the PSI report. I do think they will interview Vick about it, but that he will deny making the comment, and that will be that.

Of course, his comments should come as no surprise. He participated in the dog ring for 5 years. He clearly thinks, along with a large segment of the southern black population, that, though technically illegal, there is nothing wrong with fighting dogs.

What a mess we're in, after all these years, black people still see law enforcement as the enemy, organized to destroy their communities. I'm not saying that view isn't justified to some extent, but the reality is crushing, both to those communities, and to race relations in general.

12. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I don't think black people per se view dog fighting as OK and not a big deal. I think it's a cultural thing to some extent, more a poor man's passtime. They just defend Vick enmass on some level because it's human nature to circle the wagons around your own. He was, after all, supposed to be their shining star. Poor black kid from nothing who rises to face of an NFL franchise billed as the most exciting athlete in generations and one who would revolutionize the position. That's a lot to lose.

What they all fail to grasp is while the cruelty certainly hit a nerve among the majority of the population, the FEDS nailed him for conspiring to run a gambling enterprise across state lines. What he bet on and how he disposed of it when it lost sickened the suits in NY, but what they are punishing him for is his federal conviction and involvement in interstate gambling and lying through his teeth to ownership and the commissioner.

He still doesn't get it. Likely never will. He will remain a Vick-tim of circumstances he can't grasp were entirely of his own making. For the first time in his life he's being held accountable, and it sucks....for him and his fans.

Illegal gambling in general and dogfighting in particular is a pretty secretive and seedy enterprise. It will be interesting to see if anything develops with the death of a supplier/trainer reportedly with ties to Vick's operation just around the time in April this whole story was breaking...

The sad thing for his supporters is they think ESPN gave them a forum and in the long run it was just a ratings ploy that could cost Vick more come sentencing - both at the Federal, State and NFL level.

13. 52decleetzu

52decleetzu Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I beat you,I made it all of 20 seconds before I changed the channel.Just a bunch of African American Atlantans(?) "standing by their man" and claiming it was "all about race" and if it was a "white guy" he would have been treated differently.

Please let me go throw up.

14. bungholio

bungholio Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nice post. The only thing I could stomach myself to agree with is the unevenness with which Goodell has handed down suspensions.
    I believe that BB should have been suspended a few games.
    Odell Thurman gets 2 years for 2 missed drug tests and a DUI, and yet Belicheck gets a free pass, especially in light of the fact that he defied the integrity of the game?
    His complicity in Spygate to me is a Pete Rose-type offense, and he got off a little easy in my opinion.
    But whatever.

15. SeauOUCH

SeauOUCH On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

The white female NY times reporter ( ultra liberal I'm sure ) made a point that if this was a white obscure player that was caught dogfighting it wouldnt be a big deal & would be swept under the rug. The crowd loved it & went wild, talk about pandering.

The crowd booing the rep from the Human Society was a new low, ya HE"S THE BAD GUY, the guy responsible for torturing & killing dogs is now the victim.

Comparing a rules infraction ( cameragate ) to killing dogs is just about the most retarded thing I've ever seen, I couldnt ******* believe they brought this up.

16. jays52

jays52 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +209 / 1 / -1

#91 Jersey

I just saw it for the unintentional humor value. Bob looked like a beaten dog standing there on stage. Him telling the crowd to be civil was like Woody Allen trying to coach Ron Artest. The panelists were freaking priceless. The one educated, articulate one in the bunch was boo'ed by the spectators and I definately heard him called an Uncle Tom. My personal favorite shots from the audience were the dudes rockin the free vick t-shirts who held them up like they were in a rap video, the chick with the vick hat and jersey pumping her fist and mouthing "let's go!". I was also amused by the rep from the national association for the ahniliation of caucasian people and the unbelievable sheen his jehri-curl juice created. Anytime the word "accountability" was uttered it was met by a hiss, whenever the word community was uttered everyone got happy (they seemed to enjoy misguided buzz-words). All I kept wishing was that they had made John Rocker a panelist...I just wanted some balance, people!

17. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I was invited to go, as I'm in law school in Atlanta right now, with a sports law concentration. I headed down the the Georgia WCC and pretty much couldn't get down the sidewalk, because there were protesters (pro-Vick, anti-Vick, you name it) everywhere.

I am shocked that this went over, though. I'm surprised Goodell didn't try to stop it (or wasnt more vocal about it). It seems to me that this was nothing but a PR ploy by Arthur Blank to demonstrate the support Vick would have if he were to come back to the NFL.

This city has reached an all-time low.