Welcome to PatsFans.com

Michael Vick honored as “a true example of life success”.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Feb 26, 2011.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +51 / 13 / -9

Michael Vick honored as “a true example of life success”

Michael Vick to be honored at Norfolk arts gala | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

They needed to name Vick, because Rae Caruth was not available
    to come to the event to receive his father of the year award...
  2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +538 / 2 / -9

They can give the bastard the Congressional Medal Of Honor, The Nobel Peace Prize and The Pope Can Canonize him but the whole world still knows he is nothing but a Street Punk Piece Of Sh!t, if he couldn't play football he would probably be a Gang Banger in jail lifting weights.

:bricks:
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  4. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

absurd

The only thing noteworthy about Vick is his athletic ability. People need to stop treating athletes as heroes just because they have amazing physical abilities.
  5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +538 / 2 / -9

I agree with you there but you shouldn't have said "amazing physical abilities" some of the more loony loons take that as a "racist comment" I know someone like me would be called on it.

:bricks:
  6. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +51 / 13 / -9

I agree.... good post chico.
  7. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

OT: right... poor persecuted harry

You're called on your racist and bigoted comments when you make racist and bigoted comments, but keep playing the victim card like so many on the right now seem to do when called out on their garbage.

The fact that you somehow thought about race in reading my post shows just how obsessed you are about it.
  8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 4 / -6

I don't like Vick at all for what he did, but I can see another argument: If you look at Vick's treatment of dogs as a symptom of a disease which he has now overcome, then you see a message of strength in what he did. For people from backgrounds where all sorts of generally unacceptable behavior is accepted, someone like Vick is a hero for managing to transcend that. He may be a good role model for many people.
  9. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +536 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

The cynical part of me says that Vick would not even be considered for this kind of honor if he had just gone on to live a normal life after prison as opposed to being in contention (briefly) for the MVP.

Also, Norfolk is desperate to find a local athlete that they can cheer.

Plaxico Burress
    Lawrence Taylor
    Bruce Smith
    Allen Iverson

Maybe they should look in Mayo's direction or Mike Tomlin?
  10. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

I think that's a pretty big stretch, Patters.

If he were now actively working tirelessly to prevent dogfighting and teach youth about how that and other things are wrong, andd he had been doing so for some time, I could see it. But I'm not aware of any substantial efforts on that front, and even if there have been some, it's been for a very short period of time.

Labeling him a hero for what is simply abiding for the law seems like a terrible message.
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 4 / -6

It's not my intent to defend him and basically I agree with you, but I would guess that both of us are coming from a middle class world view. If you grow with a crack addict mother, no dad, and drugs all around, Vick may be someone you can relate to. At least he apologized and is living within the law. He's not a role model for me in part because his story is so different from mine.
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

I don't like what he did, either....but the key phrase is "did," not "is doing."

Whatever ever happened to redemption? Forgiveness?

Are we all that perfect that we can look back and say, "Boy, golly, I sure have been perfect," or am I the only one here who's screwed up once upon a time, overcame it and is willing to admit it?

It's harder to come back from a bad place than it is to have stayed in a good place, so yeah, I can see how Vick could be considered a role model of sorts for people who've messed up and are now afraid that there's no road back.

Honestly, if I want to hear about surviving alcoholism or drug addiction I'm gonna trust what an ex-junkie or an ex-drunk tells me far more than I am going to trust someone who's never been there.

Everyone talks about the horrible statistics that say once you've been to prison you're going to end up back in prison - Vick's story is different. That's an accomplishment. It doesn't negate what he did to get sent to prison in the first place but the fact that he's been in prison also doesn't negate the fact that he's accomplished things since getting out.
  13. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

Yeah, I understand you're not defending him.

I'm sure Vick is somebody others can relate to, but I would think there are better role models from that background.

(In general I think far too many people put athletes on the hero pedestal, so that's partly coloring my view here, btw.)
  14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

I just don't think any of that makes him a hero, mrs
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Maybe this will help.

Vick began speaking with the Humane Society almost immediately after his release from prison and continues to do so to this day.

Vick has been speaking about the evils of dogfighting to youth groups under a program administered by the Humane Society of the United States.

"He has been effective in helping young men choose a better path," said John Goodwin, the Humane Society's manager of animal fighting issues. "He is the example of how dogfighting is a destructive, dead-end activity with enormous consequences."

Vick was not required to perform such a community service under his sentence, Goodwin said. Nor was he required to set aside, as he did, nearly $1 million to help with the disposition of 60-plus dogs who survived his dogfighting ring.

Michael Vick, NFL star and convicted dogfighter, to host Gulfstream Park party - Sun Sentinel

Wayne Pacelle; President and CEO US Humane Society

"I was skeptical, but Michael said he didn't just want to do a press release, he wanted to dedicate his life to this... and in the year and a half I have known him, he hasn't turned me down once."

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Michael Vick urges kids to spread the word about evils of dog fighting - National Pet Rescue | Examiner.com Michael Vick urges kids to spread the word about evils of dog fighting - National Pet Rescue | Examiner.com
  16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

I don't believe anyone said he was a "Hero," did they?

The award from Norfolk is for being a "life success."
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

*(Disclaimer: Most dogs I know are excellent, loving, reliable and intelligent. I can't say the same for people and cats)

"The Norfolk-based group, which has hosted the Afr'Am Festival in Town Point Park, said it plans to honor Vick because he has "epitomized the meaning of 'hero' not only by his unparalleled accomplishments on the football field, but more importantly, by his relentless resilience in overcoming the obstacles he has faced... and becoming a true example of life success for all to emulate," a news release says

First...they DO call him a hero. He is most definitely NOT a hero. He is a torturer and killer of dogs. He is a sick individual. Children who do that are many times more likely to harm humans than those who don't. Any adult who does that is dangerous, IMO, no matter how soft-spoken and talented they are.

And he's not that good of a quarterback...certainly not "unparalleled".

This "major award" is not about redemption. It's about sucking up to the rich and/or famous awardee who may respond with a major contribution to the awarder. 99.9% of poor black kids born to crack moms without dads never end up torturing or killing dogs or people.
  18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Sorry, didn't catch that.

Ok - I wouldn't go so far as to say he's a hero - but I also won't go so far as to say he's scum, either.

Lots of people were scum at one time and then cleaned up their act. That's what America's about in a way, isn't it? It's a land of second chances.

So - he used to be scum but he's trying to overcome his scumminess, how's that? Do you grant him that possibility or don't you?

Because if you don't then you shouldn't give it to anyone else, either. Not to me who had a child out of wedlock, not to PR who used to be an alcoholic, not to any one who ever broke a law or cheated on their taxes or their wife or their husband or got into an accident while drunk driving or hurt someone in a barroom brawl or anything else.

The legal system in this country applies to everyone. You commit a crime, you do the time, pay your fine and then they let you out - and it is considered that you have made your restitution and you get to start over having paid your debt to society.

I'd much rather see someone succeed than fail, wouldn't you?

It almost seems as though people are angry that Vick's not fallen back into his old ways.

What's up with that, anyhow?
  19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +538 / 2 / -9

If he didn't get caught he'd still be doing it, why are liberals so eagar to forgive this rat bastard but they still hold hatred in their hearts for Ronald Reagan & GW Bush.
    :singing:
  20. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

I don't doubt that he's done some of this, and it's a start, but imo it is just a start.

(and I'm not impressed at all by the financial contribution -- they were his dogs, he's responsible for their care)