PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Smith: Seahawks Robbed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no preference in the game, and I totally agree with the article!! It started to remind me of the NBA.

JDSal45 said:
i'd say the officiating was poor all game. since these are statiscally The Best Football Officials On The Planet, it was surprising to watch, almost every call. a couple of geeks with a slide rule would have a blast with that game.
the playcalling in the 1st quarter was the worst i'd seen since i watched UConn vs Buffalo.
it was so slanted towardd steelers cowher is, i'm sure, still thanking The Lord. did it change who won the game? i think so. but both teams were doing such crazy stuff with the football. i dunno. the score sheet that seattle gave it up twice, and the steelers once. but it seemed to me that the ball was on the carpet 5-6 times. i can't remember a coll on those plays that didn't go to the steelers.
it was truly incredible.
i'd have gotten hold of the officials right after the game and subjected them to some serious "interrogation".

Oh, I am so glad that articles like these are appearing today! We were all going nuts in the game thread and it's good to know we were not alone. Mike and Mike this morning stopped short of saying the fix was in, but they did rant about the officiating, so every little bit helps.

Truth be told, I thought my article's opinion was in the minority and would come off as sour grapes. Smith basically echoed a lot of my sentiments, and for that I appreciate it.

Bob G

Bob -
You aren't in the minority. Within a few hours of the game, there were articles up on the the NY Times, Washington Post, Miami Herald, and Fox News regarding the poor officiating.

I also was watching a repeat of a pregame show on ESPN 2 last night that had Wilbon, Ablom and 2 others on it and they ended the show saying that the NFL had to make sure this game didn't get decided by the referees. I found it to be almost prophetic.

I think it's a bit much to say Seattle got robbed.. I mean, they did plenty to lose that game themselves. Robbed usually means the thief broke into your house past locked doors and windows. I'd say that while a thief did clean the Hawks out, Seattle left the doors not only unlocked but standing wide open.

Was it a snow job? Absolutely. The officials were one sided and completely inept (but conveniently only inept for when it hurt Seattle).
Were they robbed? It's debateable, but they did alot to try and lose that game all by themselves. I guess it's still robbery even if you leave your doors open, but can you really blame the thief?

Last edited:
I agreed with him up until this point:

Still, what happened to the Seahawks wasn't the same as, say, New England going into Denver and playing badly (five turnovers) on top of the bad calls. Seattle gained almost 400 yards and turned it over just once.

That's just weak.

Sure, we made some mistakes that ended up having bigger consequences than Seattle's (and it's not fair to cite all 5 as mistakes), but the bottom line is that outside of those 5 plays we outplayed the Broncos by a far bigger margin than Seattle outplayed Pitt. Just because Seattle turned it over "just once" doesn't mean they didn't play like garbage when they had to play well.

At least the penalties in our game directly lead to Bronco touchdowns (ball on the 1), while the ones against Seattle simply pushed the Seahawks further from the endzone... but still in range of it.

In any case, him saying that is just rubbing salt in the wound for me whether he is right or not.

Wow, this is the first time since the seasons start that I've been pleased by Michael Smith.

The Seahawks have every right to be pissed - but NEITHER team deserved to win. The NFL should revoke the trophy from the Steelers and not let EITHER team have it.

If I were the Steelers or a Steelers fan I'd be more than a little sheepish calling my team "Champions"

They did a good job getting to the SB - but that game was an embarrassment to both teams, as well as the officials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes