PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Smith: Pioli to KC, Caserio will be new VP of Player Personnel

Status
Not open for further replies.
P.S. If they all convert teams to a 3-4, the shortage of avaible LBs for the system is going to cause problems very quickly. Colleges just aren't churning out many players who are up to the task right out of the box.

If Pioli hires Spagnolio, they will move towards a Jim Johnson type of defense that Spags runs in New York.

I also expect the Jets to move away from the 3-4 now that Mangini is gone. It may the only hope they have from having Gholston being a huge bust. Everyone else on the defense other than Calvin Pace may be better suited for a 4-3 anyway.

Cleveland was already a 3-4 team. Adding Pioli won't change that. I don't know which defense McDaniels will use. Mike Nolan has used both the 3-4 and the 4-3 as a Defensive Coordinator in his career. I am guessing a 3-4, but his 3-4 is more of a single gap 3-4 defense.

Yes, because the 3-4 teams have been very limited in number. Colleges don't play a lot of 3-4, so their aren't a lot of ready made players available.

There are different 3-4 styles. The Chargers use a pure one gap 3-4 which uses smaller faster LBs. The Steelers use a type of the one gap, but uses a lot of blitzes requiring the LBs to be fast and instinctual. The Pats, Dolphins, Jets (although I think they will move away from it), and Browns use a version of the Belichick two-gap 3-4 which requires bigger smarter read and react type of LBs.

With the Jets most likely moving away from the 3-4 and Denver most likely moving to the 3-4, I think is going to be a wash. I can't see Spagnolio changing defensive styles when he is a hot Head Coach candidate for his defenses.

Why do you think Pioli is not in Cleveland? The Browns will not give their new GM power over roster moves, Magini will have that. Caserio will be here, it's a done deal as far as I'm concerned.

Here's the conversation:

Kraft, "Hey Nick, you want to be Vice President?"

Nick, "Na, I'd rather go to Cleveland." :rolleyes:

Why do you think Pioli is not in Cleveland? The Browns will not give their new GM power over roster moves, Magini will have that. Caserio will be here, it's a done deal as far as I'm concerned.

Well, if Pioli went to Cleveland, he would have probably had that control and Mangini certainly wouldn't have been there. Caserio has been promoted to the VP position. That pretty much means he has no desire to leave or he wouldn't have taken the job.

There can be truth to this. Certainly nobody will ever complacent in the organization considering how they're snatched away.

It all comes down to the skills of those in the pipeline--like (I forget his name) down in Atlanta....would have been a great replacement. So the question is who's next in line for these gigs, and what they bring to the table. Because it's the Pats, there's every hope we'll continue to see top-level performance. Truth is, nobody knows until they get the job and have to deliver.

I really beleive that they were indded grooming Tom Dimitroff to replace Pioli. He was getting his ticket punched as they say in the military in all aspects of the job. Then he got tired of waiting and moved last year, to Atalanta and the job he did, speaks for itself.

I am not sure that even GE, who constantly grooms replacement managers, would have another all prepped and ready to take over, this quickly. Caserio may well be the guy, but another year or two of prepping would have been more ideal.

I think Kokonis at Baltimore is a Belichick protege that may be even more ready. He is blocked by Ozzie, who Belichick prepped as well.

Last edited:
again,i wonder what scouts will leave with pioli. that could have the most effect.

again,i wonder what scouts will leave with pioli. that could have the most effect.

lets hope none, but mroe realisticly not many...

Pioli cant just suck everything from the pats...

I think Pioli will respect the "you don't take people with you" unwritten rule of the NFL. It would be a bit hypocritical of him to be peissed off when Mangini did it to him and then turn around and do it to Belichick. I doubt many if any scouts will come with him.

Pioli has been involved in the scouting game long enough to know who to pillage from other teams though. He can get a top rate scouting staff without raiding the Pats.

I really beleive that they were indded grooming Tom Dimitroff to replace Pioli. He was getting his ticket punched as they say in the military in all aspects of the job. Then he got tired of waiting and moved last year, to Atalanta and the job he did, speaks for itself.

I am not sure that even GE, who constantly grooms replacement managers, would have another all prepped and ready to take over, this quickly. Caserio may well be the guy, but another year or two of prepping would have been more ideal.

I think Kokonis at Baltimore is a Belichick protege that may be even more ready. He is blocked by Ozzie, who Belichick prepped as well.

Agreed. Again, the Pats will be better prepared than just about anybody else, but it's not easy to get guys ready. They were fortunate in that way with Weis & Crennel--each of them stayed a year longer (or more) than you might have expected, which was good for the Pats to transition.

I think Pioli will respect the "you don't take people with you" unwritten rule of the NFL. It would be a bit hypocritical of him to be peissed off when Mangini did it to him and then turn around and do it to Belichick. I doubt many if any scouts will come with him.

Pioli has been involved in the scouting game long enough to know who to pillage from other teams though. He can get a top rate scouting staff without raiding the Pats.
certainly hope so. but dont know on what terms pioli is leaving esp if kraft and BB asked him to stay and made competing offers etc. Its a business so you never know with personal relationships.

certainly hope so. but dont know on what terms pioli is leaving esp if kraft and BB asked him to stay and made competing offers etc. Its a business so you never know with personal relationships.

it would have been better if Pioli went last yr to the falcons, and hence we would keep dimitrof

I doubt that Pioli left on bad terms. Kraft probably made him a very attractive offer to stay, but they understand that Pioli probably wanted to run his own show which would never happen while Belichick was coaching. Scott must have understood too that the Pats were not in a position to offer him what KC could.

Besides, if reports are correct, Pioli only was willing to leave if KC or someone else bent over for him. That doesn't sound like he was upset and wanted to get away from Kraft and Belichick or had a contentious situation.

I doubt that Pioli left on bad terms. Kraft probably made him a very attractive offer to stay, but they understand that Pioli probably wanted to run his own show which would never happen while Belichick was coaching. Scott must have understood too that the Pats were not in a position to offer him what KC could.

I wonder if Dimitrof's success in Atlanta had an effect on Pioli's decision to leave.

Besides, if reports are correct, Pioli only was willing to leave if KC or someone else bent over for him. That doesn't sound like he was upset and wanted to get away from Kraft and Belichick or had a contentious situation.

I'm sure these guys left on good terms. The fluke of the play-off seeding with us out at 11-5 allowed a lot of doors to open that have usually been shut by the time our season has ended. It was inevitable.

In Billerio I trust.

Gotta think that Bill is sitting back in a chair with a bottle of good scotch thinking, "Well, S**t".

And Ernie is sitting on another chair doing long division in his head and acting like Rainman saying, "Who cares, we did'nt need them anyway".

:rofl: 10 char

They love them some Herm Edwards over there on ChiefsPlanet....

ChiefsPlanet - View Single Post - Chiefs So, is Herm fired yet?

No more "ending a drive with a kick is a successful drive".

No more " You play to win only 2 GAMES!!1 per season".

No more "Scoring more than 20 points isn't real football, it is arena football".

ChiefsPlanet - View Single Post - Chiefs Scott Pioli Head Coach Watch Thread

ChiefsPlanet - View Single Post - Chiefs Scott Pioli Head Coach Watch Thread

Chiefs Herm to be fired within 72 hours? - ChiefsPlanet

That last thread also has posts claiming that Herm Edwards was seen carrying things out to his car.

Sounds like the fans are on a death watch..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back