PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Smith: Pats wanted Hardesty

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
According to his Twitter they were upset when Cleveland took him, but says Spikes is not a bad consolation prize.

Re: Michael Smith:pats Wanted Hardesty

In the 2nd, that's hard to believe. I thought it was a bit of a reach.

I liked Hardesty too. But I prefer Spikes.

Thanks Cleveland!!!

i for some reason thought that BB would draft a young RB too....

guess it just didnt pan out

I'm not bothered by the fact that I didn't draft a RB. My guy was McCluster, but he went much too early. I like the pass catchers we got for Brady. As long as the OL is healthy the running game will be fine.

Well if that's true it's a blessing in disguise... getting LB help is more important IMO than RB

I think people overeact to these 'we wanted' reports.
I am sure we liked the player. I imagine we were 'upset' when he was taken.
But he was AMONG A GROUP of players we liked, one of whom we chose.
BB has shown over the years that he targets a group of guys he likes in a spot, then moves around so he at least gets one of the group.
All this means is that Hardesty was among the group. IMO>

The dude was injory prone, and a second is WAY too high IMO. I'd have drafted him in the late 3rd or 4th if he were available. But the Spikes pick is awesome. 40 yard time be damned, he's a leader and he's gonna hurt people.

According to his Twitter they were upset when Cleveland took him, but says Spikes is not a bad consolation prize.

Even assuming that they wanted Hardesty and that they were upset that Cleveland took him, I'm not sure that means they would have selected him instead of Spikes. Maybe they had him projected in the 3rd round, maybe Taylor Price is the consolation prize, maybe next year's 2nd rounder is... who knows.

I think people overeact to these 'we wanted' reports.
I am sure we liked the player. I imagine we were 'upset' when he was taken.
But he was AMONG A GROUP of players we liked, one of whom we chose.
BB has shown over the years that he targets a group of guys he likes in a spot, then moves around so he at least gets one of the group.
All this means is that Hardesty was among the group. IMO>

Michael Holley, on the mid day WEEI show, said this was true according to HIS inside source...FWIW

If this is true, it's a happy accident. I don't think Hardesty is anything special. A pretty basic, plodding RB. The kind of guy who would be great in the fourth round, but just doesn't do anything overly well to validate a second round pick.

Shows that BB knows he needs a RB.

I liked Hardesty as well...

...in the 3rd round. I would much rather have a thumper ILB to line up next to Mayo though. Next year's RB class should be stronger.

I'm not bothered by the fact that I didn't draft a RB. My guy was McCluster, but he went much too early. I like the pass catchers we got for Brady. As long as the OL is healthy the running game will be fine.

You're bothered by the fact that they didn't take a "RB" who is going to play WR for the Chiefs?

how so? it's not like he reached for the next best RB or even took one with the remaining picks.

The running game was more than sufficient last season. The philospophy of the offense is pass 1st as it should be with Tom Brady and Randy Moss.

Don't forget folks that we traded a 3rd for a 2nd next year.

The Patriots could have had both Hardesty and Spikes had the Browns not taken him.

The only question is, is Hardesty better than the player they will get at the Carolina slot in the 2nd round next year?

Don't forget folks that we traded a 3rd for a 2nd next year.

The Patriots could have had both Hardesty and Spikes had the Browns not taken him.

The only question is, is Hardesty better than the player they will get at the Carolina slot in the 2nd round next year?
Hardesty went in the 2nd, a round earlier than our traded 3rd.

This is encouraging news. If BB was willing to use a 2nd round pick on a RB, it shows he doesn't think the core is "fine", like many hear believe.

Give me the tough-as-nails LB every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes