PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with everything in this thread; I want to add that I would like to see Matthews run 5 yards on 3rd/4, turn around, and make the catch & first down.

Then again, I thought that was one of the reasons why Baker was signed.

Then again - again - maybe Baker's been too busy trying to bail out Light & Kaczur.

Speaking of our "try-hard stiffs", any success that LaMa, LawFirm, Faulk & Morris enjoy on Sunday & thereafter will depend mostly on those 5. Scary thought.

Last edited:
I agree with essentially everything everyone has said, but just wanted to add a little more background.

It has already been stated that Matthews played in every game the Giants played over the past two seasons, including 11 starts (one of which was the Super Bowl). If you look back to Matthews rookie year, when both he and Boss were rookies, Matthews was listed as the 2nd string tight-end coming out of training camp and played in that position until Boss was game ready about half-way through the season. Obviously when Shockey was injured that year, Boss was elevated to the starter as the better receiving tight end and Matthews remained as the 2nd string blocking tight-end. Matthews was also the 1st string tight end that year until the Giants signed Hedge**** some time through through the season. The point is is that he has not only played fullback at Georgia Tech, but he has played that position in the NFL as well.

The guy is huge, strong, and quick for a guy his size. He wasn't active for the first couple games of the season, before being activated for the Falcons game, because he was still getting adjusted to the system, but, as has been stated, he should become a bigger part of the run game as the season progresses. He is a heck of a player when he is used correctly, and if we know anything, it is that Belicek knows how to use guys correctly. He is also the typical prototype of a Belicek/Patriot player: an UDFA, overlooked guy that works his tail off and contributes to winning organizations. I look forward to seeing more from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes