Michael Lombardi on Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPF

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
From today's diner:
Diner morning news: Only best teams are left | National Football Post

The Patriots must rethink what they do on offense because it appears to me that the rest of the NFL has caught up to them. They don’t have the same mental toughness they once had on offense, and this could be a result of all the slip screens and draws. They never play with power — they play like a run-and-shoot team.

Tom Brady, like Palmer, was not very good Sunday, which might be a result of injury. Not one throw came off his hand with any zip or flow.

The defining moment of the game was when the Patriots had the Ravens backed up before the half and the Ravens ran for a first down. In the past, the Patriots’ signature move was always to take away their opponents’ strength and make them play left-handed. The Ravens defeated the Patriots doing what they do best, and the Patriots never had an answer.

Its mental, not physical. In the heat of pressure Tom is not stepping into his passes, thus the no zip. Pre injury Tom stood in pocket and stepped into the throw despite the pressure. Remember how well Tom stood in a collapsing pocket, making minor shifts and still getting the pass off? You didn't see that this season because when the pocket collapsed, instead of stepping up, he retreated backward, throwing off his back foot.

Completely to be expected. Its takes a year or two to come back mentally from such a serious injury.

It is not 1975; teams do not have to be 'powerful' to succeed. You can't be predictable, and for god's sake, block.

Its mental, not physical. In the heat of pressure Tom is not stepping into his passes, thus the no zip. Pre injury Tom stood in pocket and stepped into the throw despite the pressure. Remember how well Tom stood in a collapsing pocket, making minor shifts and still getting the pass off? You didn't see that this season because when the pocket collapsed, instead of stepping up, he retreated backward, throwing off his back foot.

Completely to be expected. Its takes a year or two to come back mentally from such a serious injury.

I suspect Brady's rib, shoulder and finger problems have hindered him. Yet, he STILL had statistically an excellent season.

I live in NY so I've gone into seclusion b/c I can't deal with all the DB's of the world talking smack about the Pats and Jets and etc., but I love how the media here and in Boston is stirring this up as the end of a dynasty/era. Wasn't the end of the dynasty in Denver when we lost in our attempt for 3 straight SB's?

We didn't make the playoffs last year. Technically didn't we improve this year? Isn't that making progress, especially with a young team in a transition year? THis team definitely underperformed but it isn't like we were run out of the playoffs b/c we are too old and our time has passed. We were one of the younger teams in the playoffs this season.

To be able to win your division and make the playoffs as a #3 seed in a transition year is pretty impressive IMO. Yankees couldn't do it in 2008 even with their huge payroll. BB has us in contention every year, that's all you can ask for. There are always going to be freak injuries like the one to Welker. If he hadn't gone down, I had faith in this team being able to go into SD and win.

Brady's been through a tough year. Let him heal up and take some time off and come back chomping at the bit. He's not the type of guy that comes off as satisfied with what he's done in the past, and we know for a fact BB isn't like that either.

This team will be back in 2010. I have confidence in Belichick to find our holes and fill them adequately. Maybe this disappointing loss will spur some aggressive moves like the 2002 season did. We have a good core and a good set of draft picks going forward. Let's not jump ship yet. We've been spoiled. We thought that because Brady was coming back, this year should be 2007-esque b/c that was the last memory etched in our minds. That season was the exception, not the rule.

You can't be predictable, and for god's sake, block.

The offense is way too predictable. The announcers commented on the fact that the Ravens seemed to know what play was coming based on the formation.

Ray Lewis was the one who made the statements.

My GUESS, is that this is due to the inexperience of our acting OC.

The offense is way too predictable. The announcers commented on the fact that the Ravens seemed to know what play was coming based on the formation.

The defining moment of the game was when the Patriots had the Ravens backed up before the half and the Ravens ran for a first down. In the past, the Patriots’ signature move was always to take away their opponents’ strength and make them play left-handed. The Ravens defeated the Patriots doing what they do best, and the Patriots never had an answer.
this tells all you need to know

Ray Lewis was the one who made the statements.

My GUESS, is that this is due to the inexperience of our acting OC.

not very hard to predict. it was draw to faulk or screen to edelman for most part. it was even more vanilla than any game all season long . i think our OC/playcalling unravels when faced with a tough situation which explains 2nd half performances after teams have adjusted.anyone who saw the GB/ARI game saw how GB kept running the ball with grant down 21-0 .Granted their WR are scarier and draw more coverage than ours but we couldve gone to more of a power running game and slowed down the game a bit or thrown once deep to moss. Heck a long INT wouldve been better than the field position we got by punting!

Yes this is true. The irony is I could tell exactly what the Ravens were going to do too. Did anyone doubt that the first play would be run? Our guys got pushed around too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes