Welcome to PatsFans.com

Michael Irvin's racist rant

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Tunescribe, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +449 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

Anyone hear about this? They played it on WEEI today. Apparently Irvin was a guest on the Dan Patrick Show (ESPN Radio) a week ago and ESPN tried to sweep it under the rug but now it's blowing up in their face. Irvin went on and on about how Cowboy QB Tony Romo's great-great-great (etc.) grandmother must have bedded down a slave "stud" to have the athletic ability he shows on the field, because otherwise he doesn't look like an athlete. If Irvin is not fired for this, it is PROOF POSITIVE that we have a double standard in this country when it comes to sportscasters and their racist remarks.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +180 / 5 / -22

It's posted on the Pats Fans Board also, I don't give a rats ass about Irvin, wanted to listen to yak about a very good win yesterday, instead I got the angry white man rant.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

we need to hear this.....I'm looking for the audio link right now, but I agree if he is serious, this is just as bad as what Jimmie the greek....or....Rush said.

Said Irvin on a national radio show this week: "He doesn't look like he's that type of an athlete. But he is. He is, man. I don't know ... some brother down in that line somewhere ... I don't know who saw what or where, his great-great-great-great-grandma ran over in the 'hood or something went down."

horrible....
  4. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

This issue is foolish. Irvin was clearly joking. I dislike Irvin's schtick on TV also, and look forward to the day I no longer have to watch him, but this drummed up nonsense over a bad joke smacks of malicious cynicism from "white media" who resent being forced to walk on egg shells over the race issue. They're trying to point out a double standard... "Look, he did it too!" but come off as a bunch of whining byatches.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  5. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

What Irvin said and Michael Richards said were both racist, no doubt.

But the difference is, Richards' rant came from deep-seated hatred and racism, as well as brought up hurtful histories for many people. I doubt too many White Americans were as hurt and offended by Irvin as Black Americans were by Richards.

There is a difference. I agree with Pony; this is being publicized heavily by White Americans who probably saw nothing wrong with what Richards said, and were angry about it.
  6. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +449 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

I take a different view of Richards. I think Richards was trying to provoke within the context of his comedy act in the pursuit of being "outrageous." He simply pushed the boundary too far and it backfired; I'm not convinced he is a racist at heart. Irvin expressed what he truly believes: A good white athlete is an anomaly. It was a racist remark, no two ways about it. What would you think if a white person suggested that Condaleeza Rice must have some caucasian genetics in her background because she's so smart? It's a double standard.
  7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I approve of anything that gets Irvin off the air. Which is exactly how I felt about Rush's comments a couple of years ago. I didn't see what the fuss was when lard butt pointed out that McNabb is over-rated because he clearly is and to call what Irvin said racist is bumping up against the silly category; but I find each so annoying that I'd approve of firing them if they spat on the sidewalk.

One caveat on edit: I think Rush made a calculated move to bring race into ESPN's telecast knowing that it would piss people off while Irvin is just not very smart or too arrogant for his own good. So there are some key differences between the two.
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Then you must believe that non-whites are not capable of racism. You think it's funny that this "retard" said Romo's great-grandmother went to the barn to bang a slave and Romo's athletic ability is the result of that banging? I'm going to go to work today and make some slave jokes seeing that it's OK now. Maybe I'll make some jokes about blacks being better jumpers and runners in front of my customers (sponsors) and see how that goes over.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

The "N" word:
    Richard Pryor made millions saying it (his audiance laughed)

The "White Mother F-cker Word":
    Richard Pryor made millions saying it (his audiance laughed)

Kramer said the "N" word (why didn't his audiance laugh)

Whitey gets trashed daily in the "Rap Crap" business, where is the outrage?

If they want me to respect them I want them to respect me, I am offended by the term
    "White Mother F-cker" it should be outlawed just as the "N" word is.

Richar Pryor and Eddie Murphy should also have been branded RACISTS.

Bill Cosby, Morgan Freeman, Colin Powell, Rice, should be the ones held up as role models not the Coke Sniffing, Gun Toting, Foul Mouthed Sh!t Bum, Street Trash that are making millions of dollars with their filthy Racist so called music that glorifies Killing Cops, Whitey and the abuse of women.

Whitey deserves it though, he laughs at one person saying the "N" word and crucifys another for the same thing.

Watch the excuses now for the ones that are allowed to use the "N" word.
  10. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Richard Pryor was funny. Yes he used the N word, yet was still funny. Kramer is not funny. Yes, he used the N word, yet he was still not funny. Was he trying to be funny, we will never know. Irvin, also is not funny. He was a good athlete, period. Cris Rock also used the N word and I find him pretty funny. He tends to trash both whites and blacks, and uses all the words not found in Websters. My vocabulary does not include the N word, but sometimes will laugh at a comedian's joke that comes across as funny even when he uses the N word or WMF. Yes, there is a double standard with many examples, but quite honestly, it doesn't bother me. Why does it bother you?
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

Tunsascribe, why do you think Irvin should be fired for it? Tit for tat? Are you being "politically correct"?

I think his comment was tacky, but Irvin is not a political commentator like Rush Limbaugh, so he's held to a different standard. As far as Michael Richard's rant went, it was way too far over the top and far, far more dramatic than anything Irvin said. There is a matter of degree. If a comedian tells a bad joke, it's easy to forgive, but if a comedian stands on stage calling black people in the audience n--, it's another matter. There are boundaries that must be respected in this society. Have you listened to the Richards' rant, which can be found on YouTube? It's clearly not a failed attempt at any type of humor.

Lastly, it's worth noting that an important aspect of racism is power. White people, if they so choose and they often have, can back up their racism with cuts in programs, changes in laws, gerrymandering, and so on. Black people rarely have that kind of power. As a result, Irvin's comment was probably less upsetting to whites than Richards' comment was to blacks.
  12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

Do you laugh at a "White Comedian" that uses the "N" word (they don't dare do it anyway)

You ask why it bothers me, the word doesn't bother me, it isn't the word it is the Politically Correct Pandering reaction to the word.
    If Whites can be crucified for saying the "N" word why aren't Blacks crucified for saying the "White Mother F-cker" word.
    The Politically Correct consider anything a Black Comedian says as being Cool, if a White Comedian says the exact same thing they are "all washed up", that may not bother you but it bothers me, I am not a "White Mother F-cker", that offends me.

The best solution for a professional person comedian or otherwise is to Ignore them, then you can't get into trouble, if you are a Public Person never ever mention a Minority or a Homosexual do so and your life will be ruined.

The "White Mother F-cker" word bothers me just as the "N" word bothers them.
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

God forbid we hold all americans to the same standard. The issue is foolish, but it's foolish because white people are fired for these same remarks. I guess in your world it's ok for a white guy to loose his job, but not ok for a black man to loose it under the same circumstances. All I think people are asking for in fairness and consistency. I find Irvin annoying cuz I never know what he's always yelling about. I don't want him fired over this, but then I didn't think Steve Lyons or Limbaugh should have been canned for their remarks either. When you can people though, you set a standard. Sad thing is the standard only applies to white people I guess.
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

Bryant Gumbel beat you to it bud. Remember his Winter Olympics remarks?

[​IMG]

Finally, tonight, the Winter Games. Count me among those who don’t like them and won’t watch them ... Because they’re so trying, maybe over the next three weeks we should all try too. Like, try not to be incredulous when someone attempts to link these games to those of the ancient Greeks who never heard of skating or skiing. So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention. Try not to point out that something’s not really a sport if a pseudo-athlete waits in what’s called a kiss-and-cry area, while some panel of subjective judges decides who won ... So if only to hasten the arrival of the day they’re done, when we can move on to March Madness — for God’s sake, let the games begin."
  15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

Thats common sense and decency, the "White A$s Kissers" don't want to hear it, Politically Correct Looney Fawning Liberals slap their knees and laugh their goofy heads off when a Richard Pryor or Eddie Murphy says the "N" word fifty times in one sentence but let a white right wing conservative use it in a joke and they want his whole family set on fire.

There is one way to get rid of that word forever, everybody in America including teachers, judges, lawyers, cops, news anchors, reverands and priests should say it alll day long everyday, then the people would get so used to it that you would never hear it again.

When is the last time you have heard somebody say "Gee Whiz"

You can say it but I can't----Double Standard Crap, liberal politically correct balderdash.

DON'T CALL ME A WHITE MOTHER F-CKER OR A WHITE BASTARD YOU RACIST BASTARDS.
    :bricks:
  16. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So you don't think the issue is a big deal...? Well, what if Jerry Callahan said something like "Boy, that Donovan McNabb sure is a smart quarterback - he must have some white in his lineage..!!"..? Would that be a big deal..?
  17. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Didn't Bryant Gumbel, this champion of the African-American cause, marry himself a white woman...? Maybe I am misremembering...
  18. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

I guess then, even though Irvin was obviously joking, you want to make "an example" of him. You want him fired to prove a point. And your point is that black people and white people should all be fired equally for the wrong reasons. If you have a problem with "political correctness" there are other ways to fight it than getting a man fired for the wrong reason. It smacks of cheap petty and vindictive politics.
  19. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +449 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

I didn't say Irvin should be fired. I said that if he isn't, it's proof that a double standards exists. White broadcasters have been fired for equal or lesser offenses.

Yes, I watched Richards' rant. He clearly went out of bounds. But I feel he let himself get carried away not out of racial hatred but by the boundary-pushing nature of his act coupled with being pissed at the hecklers. He simply went too far and couldn't recover. Had he let up after the initial outburst, which he tried to do at least initially (to the audience: "Does that shock you?"), we never would have heard about it. Cutting-edge comedy nowadays is all about being more outrageous and taboo than the next guy. Had the hecklers been Jewish, or women, or gay, Richards would have ranted them to death too. I think a lot of people condemning Richards are failing to take account of the context in which he lost control.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  20. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

It is an issue of "White man's burden". White Americans bear the burden of history of slavery and oppression. That is why there is a double standard.

If I recall, Michael Richards said something like "50 years ago you'd all be hanging upside down with a pitchfork up your as*". In my opinion, this is 1000X worse than saying a racist stereotype like Irvin did.

Both are racist, but don't try to pretend like they are even close to the same degree of hatred and intolerance.

If you guys can't tell the difference, then well, this country still has a long way to go in race relations.