PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Huff?

WaterfallJumper

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Apparently the Raiders are shopping Huff. I don't know if they'd want to trade with us again after Moss, but I think he could be worth it for a reasonable price. I know he's not played well recently, but I really believe that's a function of the Raiders' poor coaching; he's phenomenally gifted athletically, and was at one time the top college defensive back. Worth a gamble, maybe? I'd give up a third for him.

Anyone know more about him than I do? I might be barking up the wrong tree entirely.

Apparently the Raiders are shopping Huff. I don't know if they'd want to trade with us again after Moss, but I think he could be worth it for a reasonable price. I know he's not played well recently, but I really believe that's a function of the Raiders' poor coaching; he's phenomenally gifted athletically, and was at one time the top college defensive back. Worth a gamble, maybe? I'd give up a third for him.

Anyone know more about him than I do? I might be barking up the wrong tree entirely.

At this point, I honestly think that Davis would sooner place Huff on IR than trade him to the Patriots.

Price ? 5th at most I'd say, from what you hear from his "production" to date.

Mind you, with a dude (dud?) like Kiffin there for a while, I could see how he wasn't well used.

A defender out of Texas via Oakland? No thanks.

Well, he wasn't terrible. 80 tackles a year till he was benched, a sack and interception, a safety and forced fumble, a few passes defended. Not #7 overall worthy, but surely not any worse than Sanders.

Then again, I never really watched his games. I'm just intrigued by the idea of fleecing the Raiders again! :D

A defender out of Texas via Oakland? No thanks.

The hype on Huff was certainly over-blown. Definitely not a top 10 pick. That being said, I have to agree with others in that he'd help the depth at safety ALOT. He has a low salary, this year, and if he didn't work out, the Patriots could cut him without issue next year, when he has a 5.75 million salary.

Maybe if he comes over real cheap (both in picks and in salary) and the Pats get some kinda renegociation for '10... but I dunno...

Well, he wasn't terrible. 80 tackles a year till he was benched, a sack and interception, a safety and forced fumble, a few passes defended. Not #7 overall worthy, but surely not any worse than Sanders.

Then again, I never really watched his games. I'm just intrigued by the idea of fleecing the Raiders again! :D

Agreed. Fourth?
DW Toys

Sooner or later someone is going to figure out that one of the main reasons that some players are considered “busts” is because of the poor coaching that they receive. Huff was a stud coming out of Texas, but I’m guessing that at Oakland he lost more games in half a season than he had his entire football playing career. Losing does not exactly bring out the best in people. Oakland lives by a man to man scheme, so yes, Huff maybe a much better player in NE than with Oakland. Between the better coaching and a defensive scheme that would fit his game better, I think he is certainly worth a shot. Since the Pats do not have a tradable 5th rd pick, I’m guessing that a 4th would easily get it done.

Sooner or later someone is going to figure out that one of the main reasons that some players are considered “busts” is because of the poor coaching that they receive. Huff was a stud coming out of Texas, but I’m guessing that at Oakland he lost more games in half a season than he had his entire football playing career. Losing does not exactly bring out the best in people. Oakland lives by a man to man scheme, so yes, Huff maybe a much better player in NE than with Oakland. Between the better coaching and a defensive scheme that would fit his game better, I think he is certainly worth a shot. Since the Pats do not have a tradable 5th rd pick, I’m guessing that a 4th would easily get it done.

He had Rob Ryan as his defensive coordinator. Willie Brown, Darren Perry and Randy Hanson are his defensive backs coaches.

So, I am not sure the level of coaching is bad. The level of the TEAM has certainly been bad. And a majority of that comes from the senile Al Davis meddling. Its hard to be a good coach when the owner makes you a lame duck before your 1st season is even over.

He had Rob Ryan as his defensive coordinator. Willie Brown, Darren Perry and Randy Hanson are his defensive backs coaches.

So, I am not sure the level of coaching is bad. The level of the TEAM has certainly been bad. And a majority of that comes from the senile Al Davis meddling. Its hard to be a good coach when the owner makes you a lame duck before your 1st season is even over.

Well, Randy Moss didn't light up the world in Oakland either... just saying.

I haven't seen him play much but he was real good in the madden football video game(which means nothing haha). Do the pats have room for him though? We have a ton of d-backs and I personally want rodney harrison to join us halfway through the year ala junior seau did last year.

If Huff could be had for a lower rounder (4th and on), I'd be all for it.

At the 07 draft press conference, when discussing Brandon Meriweather's versatility, The Hoodie mentioned Huff as someone from the previous draft.

He had good coaches defensively in Oakland, but it would still be worth it to explore the possibility that he fits their system better. If he were available in the 4th-7th rounds, he would be a great value, so it cannot hurt.

He may not be a bust, just a guy who was overdrafted at 7.

Belichick Press Conference - 4/28/2007

Q: Are you seeing more players that can play both positions in college these days as opposed to five or 10 years ago?

BB: I think there are both. Last year it was much higher in the draft, a guy like [Michael] Huff at Texas. Same thing. Guys that play corner/safety.

At this point, I honestly think that Davis would sooner place Huff on IR than trade him to the Patriots.

I bet you're right,. Even the monomaniacal Davis must be hearing from the outside world about how the Pats continue to fleece them, um, I mean trade effectively with the Oakland oragnization. Sorry. :D

Huff for a 5th, 6th, or 7th? Do it now. He can run, really run. the only thing I wonder is if he has the smarts to play S here. But if BB can be trusted with his remarks about players he didn't draft ( I'm not so sure it wasn't a buttering up nod to Crazy Al so BB could fleece him again with a smile) then Huff had something coming out of school. The question - is it still there?

Last edited:
I bet you're right,. Even the monomaniacal Davis must be hearing from the outside world about how the Pats continue to fleece them, um, I mean trade effectively with the Oakland oragnization. Sorry. :D

Huff for a 5th, 6th, or 7th? Do it now. He can run, really run. the only thing I wonder is if he has the smarts to play S here. But if BB can be trusted with his remarks about players he didn't draft ( I'm not so sure it wasn't a buttering up nod to Crazy Al so BB could fleece him again with a smile) then Huff had something coming out of school. The question - is it still there?

BB does not have a fondness for guys that can not tackle. Maybe BB could have rehabilitated him, but we may never know.

In the NFL, scheme is far more important than talent. You can be a great linebacker, but in the wrong system look lost and awful. Huff SEEMS like he would fit the Patriots better than he would Oakland. Then again, no one fits the mess in Oakland.

If we gave up anything higher than a 4th it is too much, but I would love to see this deal get worked out.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back