PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Huff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gregory is awful. That's why he should be replaced.

Depth is important.

Injuries are an unfortunate inevitable reality.

Gregory is worth keeping as the #3 or #4 safety.

Unlike baseball, roster building and personnel decisions for NFL teams need to take depth and the cap into consideration. As I said before, there is more to roster building in the NFL than simply replacing a player. The salary cap is real, and genuinely limits how much a team can do in that regard.

ravens are a smart team...another good move by them

ravens are a smart team...another good move by them
It remains to be seen just how smart. Playing in Oakland is a very good way to stay hidden from the rest of the NFL and its fandom, so we really don't know how he's played. Just based on the raw stat at NFL.com it would seem that there looks like a drop off in productivity the last 2 years, in a career that had been considered "disappointing" for the 7th pick in the 2006 draft. 11 picks in 7 years for a coverage S aren't great. Looks like his production never matched his great physical skill.

Still he could be a very serviceable player, who might see a bump in his career going from the Raiders (otherwise known as the Jets-west) to one of the better organizations in the league. Still, even compared to a reduced skilled Ed Reed, he looks like a down grade. I'd be interested in hearing from a Raiders fan who might be better able to talk about what kind of player he is at this point in his career. Interesting that the Raiders didn't release him and try to bring him back at a reduced price.

I wanted to take a look at him when he was first released. But it looks like his skills mirror McCourty's, so what would be the point. You aren't going to bring him in to back McCourty up.

Huff was the best possible pick up the Ravens could get at this point, but I think Huff is just an average player.

I don't think he would have been a good fit here because the knock on him is that with all his physical gifts, he has problems with the mental part of the game. He can get faked out by QBs and he doesn't read and react well.

Depth is important.

Injuries are an unfortunate inevitable reality.

Gregory is worth keeping as the #3 or #4 safety.

Unlike baseball, roster building and personnel decisions for NFL teams need to take depth and the cap into consideration. As I said before, there is more to roster building in the NFL than simply replacing a player. The salary cap is real, and genuinely limits how much a team can do in that regard.

I think that Gregory will be here for the 2013 season for sure, and I also think our safety position is set unless Belichick wishes to explore the possibility of an upgrade there in Gregory's spot (unlikely in my opinion). Besides bringing in a couple of developmental guys, and/or some camp fodder for the 90 man TC roster I think the safety depth is already improved in March from the past couple/few yrs and is set with our 5 we have at the moment.

This year will obviously be the determining factor as to whether or not he's kept for the 2014 season though, as a mediocre year will almost certainly make him a candidate for work with another team in relation to your point regarding the salary cap. For now, he's fine though.

I think that Gregory will be here for the 2013 season for sure, and I also think our safety position is set unless Belichick wishes to explore the possibility of an upgrade there in Gregory's spot (unlikely in my opinion). Besides bringing in a couple of developmental guys, and/or some camp fodder for the 90 man TC roster I think the safety depth is already improved in March from the past couple/few yrs and is set with our 5 we have at the moment.

This year will obviously be the determining factor as to whether or not he's kept for the 2014 season though, as a mediocre year will almost certainly make him a candidate for work with another team in relation to your point regarding the salary cap. For now, he's fine though.
At first, when we signed Wilson, I was pretty sure the Pats wouldn't take a S in this draft. But the fact remains that both AWilson and Gregory could be gone after this year, and this is REALLY a good S draft, BB might decide to use one of those top 3 picks on an undervalued S with the idea that he'd be ready to go into the regular rotation in 2014

At first, when we signed Wilson, I was pretty sure the Pats wouldn't take a S in this draft. But the fact remains that both AWilson and Gregory could be gone after this year, and this is REALLY a good S draft, BB might decide to use one of those top 3 picks on an undervalued S with the idea that he'd be ready to go into the regular rotation in 2014

Yes, that's certainly a good point and something that I'm sure will be taken into consideration, along with maybe even another CB pick--although I'm not sure if that would necessarily be a priority for a top 3 round choice anymore (CB).

I think Belichick's feelings on Tavon Wilson's potential and the ins/outs of how he progressed throughout last season will definitely be a factor in that decision too.

Besides WR and DL--which I think are obvious choices for both now and the future (in both FA and the draft actually), I'm seeing a couple of positions like interior OL and DB. Aside from those positions, and of course Belichick may not agree with my "expert analysis" :eek: I'd think that we could have at least 1-2 picks that can be an outright luxury/bonus pick that could really be used anywhere, especially if he trades down and acquires an additional choice.

The good thing is that we seem to have a pick or two in the bonus category just about every year lately, so that is obviously a positive in how this team is run. In most instances they don't wait until the last minute to restock, although every NFL team will always have a position or two that they need to focus on in the draft every year; but as a whole, we tend to address situations a year ahead in many instances, and safety could certainly be a focus again.

The only real needs that I see are the depth and future of both the WR and DL positions, and not just because we lack a player or two at the moment. Other than that, our other lesser needs may be taken in a number of ways, but your point about a developmental safety should definitely be a possibility.

Yes, that's certainly a good point and something that I'm sure will be taken into consideration, along with maybe even another CB pick--although I'm not sure if that would necessarily be a priority for a top 3 round choice anymore (CB).

I think Belichick's feelings on Tavon Wilson's potential and the ins/outs of how he progressed throughout last season will definitely be a factor in that decision too.

Besides WR and DL--which I think are obvious choices for both now and the future (in both FA and the draft actually), I'm seeing a couple of positions like interior OL and DB. Aside from those positions, and of course Belichick may not agree with my "expert analysis" :eek: I'd think that we could have at least 1-2 picks that can be an outright luxury/bonus pick that could really be used anywhere, especially if he trades down and acquires an additional choice.

The good thing is that we seem to have a pick or two in the bonus category just about every year lately, so that is obviously a positive in how this team is run. In most instances they don't wait until the last minute to restock, although every NFL team will always have a position or two that they need to focus on in the draft every year; but as a whole, we tend to address situations a year ahead in many instances, and safety could certainly be a focus again.

The only real needs that I see are the depth and future of both the WR and DL positions, and not just because we lack a player or two at the moment. Other than that, our other lesser needs may be taken in a number of ways, but your point about a developmental safety should definitely be a possibility.
I've mentioned in a couple of posts that I've heard that the Pats are very happy with TWilson's rookie season.

Let me explain how I "know" this. I have a source who is NOT on the inside, but he's on the "inside" enough that he has the ear of a couple of people who actually ARE on the inside. Of course they aren't blabbing things to him, but occasional they drop a gem, and since he knows my passion about the Pats, he passes them on to me.

This one about Wilson he told me back in late December, which was about the time Wilson was surpassing Chung on the depth chart.

The whole point being that while many people on this board still judge Wilson on one play in his 3rd NFL game, and hate the pick, the Patriots' FO is still very happy with it.

As to this draft, I think you can measure how far this defense has come the last 2 years, by this. Last season the Pats defense improved, but had to give significant snaps to 4 rookies. This year, even if the Pats draft defense with their first 2 picks again, its very unlikely that even one rookie will be needed to start or play significant snaps THIS season

This is really a LUXURY draft and its probably good we don't have a lot of picks. If we can grab just 3 players who eventually become 4 year contributors, it will have worked out well.

I think we are seeing the start of a new era of FA. I think we are seeing the first impact of the new CBA where players only have to stay with one team 4 years. Just 5 years ago most players were locked into their teams 5 and 6 years. A lot of those 4 year players are starting to hit market. One less year is like adding another 20% to the talent pool, and its having an effect. and we are seeing it now. The Effect is more good players creating lower prices and a LOT fewer big contracts. There are still a lot of solid mid level players without jobs or even getting a sniff at a job. Karlos Dansby is a good football player, and I haven't heard his name mentioned ONCE this off season

While the Franchise number for most positions is $10MM or more, teams have come to the realization that they can't have more than 3 of those players on the roster and be economically viable for long. The Pats have found a sound model. They have 3 of the big contracts in Brady, Wilfolk, and Mankins, but they have invested the great bulk of their money into a very large "middle class". According to Miguel, after you get past the "big 3" there are currently 25 players who have cap numbers between 1 and 5 million and most of those are UNDER $3MM (18). When they finally break camp that number is likely to be 30 or real close to it.

The Pats are STILL the model of how to operate a salary structure. They still make their share of mistakes, but by and large they have consistently won because they have understood that football is a numbers game, more than any other pro sport. That teams win, not with stars, but with a strong middle class that can withstand the rigors of an NFL season. And when you break it down the Pats have won, not because they had the best top 22, but because they had best bottom 30.

Ooops I seem to have gone on a rambling rant. Sorry.

I was reasonably pleased with Wilson's rookie season Ken. Sure, there were teething problems and rookie mistakes, but hey, they happen.

I believe the D is reasonably placed moving forward thanks to the 2012 draft and the additions of Jones, Hightower, Wilson and Dennard. If you can get 4 defensive starters (potential if Wilson continues to improve ) in one draft, that's impressive.

Great move for them, Ravens will definitely be competitive next year.

Of course they will be. As is the case with every other team out there not named the Patriots, the homers overreacted to the losses and wrote them off way too early. Huff isn't as good as some people make him out to be, but he's an adequate replacement for Reed. Add to that the Ravens have 12 picks in the draft and they will still be a threat next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes