PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Holley''s War Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I just bought it and read it in preparation for the upcoming draft. It is not a bad book but not as good as Patriot Reign. It provides some insight into the Patriots, Chief, and Falcons drafts but it was not as juicy as I was hoping for. Patriots Reign had a lot of inside info such as what BB thought about various players and teams during the draft such as when they said that they can depend on a team (forgot which) to screw up with their pick and they did. Patriots Reign had such priceless gems as when BB discusses his relationship to Parcells: "We are both a**holes" (gotta agree with this assessment).

War Room does not seem to have as many insights or shockers as if it was designed not offend anyone or disclose any secrets. Still a decent book.

Holley, of course, is the only thing that makes WEEI tolerable. He brings class and insight to an otherwise barren radio landscape.

I just bought it and read it in preparation for the upcoming draft. It is not a bad book but not as good as Patriot Reign. It provides some insight into the Patriots, Chief, and Falcons drafts but it was not as juicy as I was hoping for. Patriots Reign had a lot of inside info such as what BB thought about various players and teams during the draft such as when they said that they can depend on a team (forgot which) to screw up with their pick and they did. Patriots Reign had such priceless gems as when BB discusses his relationship to Parcells: "We are both a**holes" (gotta agree with this assessment).

War Room does not seem to have as many insights or shockers as if it was designed not offend anyone or disclose any secrets. Still a decent book.

Holley, of course, is the only thing that makes WEEI tolerable. He brings class and insight to an otherwise barren radio landscape.

I was a little disappointed in it from a Pats perspective. It would have been more informative for a Chiefs or Falcons fan. But I suppose that's the nature of the BB beast - he's not going to let his guard down and reveal any "secrets" that we fans want to know re the Patriots and the draft.

The biggest thing I learned from it is that one key factor in assessing a FA or draft pick is that they only have value if they are going to replace someone already on the roster or to fill a hole. It seems obvious but it does move us away from a strictly BPA approach. It's one key factor I use now in thinking about potential picks whereas before, I focused strictly on the prospect. It's one of the reasons I focused so early in the process on Mark Barron and dialled back my interest in Dont'a Hightower a little bit.

I was a little disappointed in it from a Pats perspective. It would have been more informative for a Chiefs or Falcons fan. But I suppose that's the nature of the BB beast - he's not going to let his guard down and reveal any "secrets" that we fans want to know re the Patriots and the draft.

The biggest thing I learned from it is that one key factor in assessing a FA or draft pick is that they only have value if they are going to replace someone already on the roster or to fill a hole. It seems obvious but it does move us away from a strictly BPA approach. It's one key factor I use now in thinking about potential picks whereas before, I focused strictly on the prospect. It's one of the reasons I focused so early in the process on Mark Barron and dialled back my interest in Dont'a Hightower a little bit.

Havent seen patriot reign but have read the war room. You are right in many respects, if your a falcons or chiefs fan it would bee good and let u know how they draft.

I was personally interested in some of the conversations and quotes and the story line to do with McDaniels and also the relationship with mangeni. As i could see how BB was grooming each for their given roles and it had a bti of insite to why Mcadniels was welcomed and Mangini is dirt.

It also lets you see how their player evaluations come about and the type of team they are trying to create ( all conditions, tough would play you in the car park). But as mentioned above it also shows that the BPA doesn't really apply unless they believe that person wouldn't replace anyone on their list... then it's BPA or trade out or (as has infuriated people) Speacial teamer being picked befor we thought E.G Slater, Mesko, Ghost and Ingram.

Having read both books, both are fascinating...

War Room was a bit distracting as it also included Atlanta and KC, but overall the connections that BB has and how his offspring interpret how he does things was fascinating...

Still looking for that book that follows a couple of draft picks from draft day to opening day.... lots of questions is what do the patriots do after draft?? HOw do they help them become acclimated to the NFL, etc.

What the NF needs for rookies is a financial boot camp where some of these knuckleheads can learn how to conserve their money and not pull a Jamarcus Russell. The should roll out some of the ex-players who are no pushing mops around....

The biggest thing I got out of it is :

Listen to your f*cking scouts, Bill. That's what you pay them for.

Now that that's out, the real biggest thing is that they aren't going to take a guy to fill a need (read : Safety) just to take a player at the spot if they don't think he's an actual solution. As was said in the book, there's no point in doing that if the player isn't good enough and it's a need again next year.

If we can get Barron and like him or like someone like Smith in the second round, great, if not I wouldn't be surprised if we don't draft a Safety in this terrible year for Safeties.

The biggest thing I got out of it is :

Listen to your f*cking scouts, Bill. That's what you pay them for.

Now that that's out, the real biggest thing is that they aren't going to take a guy to fill a need (read : Safety) just to take a player at the spot if they don't think he's an actual solution. As was said in the book, there's no point in doing that if the player isn't good enough and it's a need again next year.

If we can get Barron and like him or like someone like Smith in the second round, great, if not I wouldn't be surprised if we don't draft a Safety in this terrible year for Safeties.

Did you guys read the same book? Interesting how you both learned completely opposite lessons from it.

Did you guys read the same book? Interesting how you both learned completely opposite lessons from it.
It's actually consistent, the way it seems is that they focus on positions where a rookie can actually make the team and contribute (like RB last year) but also realize there's no point in taking a Safety just to fill that hole if he's not projected to be good enough to fill the hole beyond one year.

The biggest thing I learned from it is that one key factor in assessing a FA or draft pick is that they only have value if they are going to replace someone already on the roster or to fill a hole.

Going off of the above I see our roster like this:

Tier 1 - easiest for a rookie to make an impact
S
DL
OLB

Tier 2 - somewhat easy for rookie to make team, although the starters are in place

ILB
CB
RB

Tier 3 - hard for a rookie to make the team here
WR
TE
QB
OL - could move to tier 2 depending on Light and Waters although the starters are in place regardless

Going off of the above I see our roster like this:

Tier 1 - easiest for a rookie to make an impact
S
DL
OLB

Tier 2 - somewhat easy for rookie to make team, although the starters are in place

ILB
CB
RB

Tier 3 - hard for a rookie to make the team here
WR
TE
QB
OL - could move to tier 2 depending on Light and Waters although the starters are in place regardless

This is close, but I'd be tempted to move WR up to at least tier two. we only have one WR signed beyond the end of this year I believe (Lloyd). It makes this draft very interesting, particularly in the first round. Looking at your tier 1:

S - Only Mark Barron fits immediately into the hole here. Stephon Gilmore and Dre Kirkpatrick project as potential safeties but I'm not sure BB will risk a conversion project in the first round. Some question Barron's fit as a first rounder, if BB feels the same then they're unlikely to draft a S in the first.

DE - All the recognizable first round grade 5-techs could be off the board before we pick, they may be off the board by pick 20. BB values his draft capital and will be reluctant to trade up too far. If the right guy is not there for a trade, we may miss out all together.

OLB - Has BB ever drafted a first round pass rusher or OLB?

So one would think your tier one would dictate the first round pick(s) and yet we may miss out on any tier one type player. It's an interesting dynamic that could lead to an ultimately disappointing draft night for us fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes