PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Holley says that Pats and Browns are in hot pursuit of Ray Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's already been said but part of me thinks that BB is setting up a smokescreen and driving up the price for the Ravens & Browns so they can't pay Suggs and the Pats can.

Wishful thinking I guess...

I think a smokescreen is quite possible, though not quite in the way you suggest. If the Pats do want to make a run at Peppers, then showing some interest in Jason Taylor or Ray Lewis would be a good way of putting some pressure on Carolina to cut a deal.

Can he play OLB and shut his mouth?

In the end, he will get over his ego and resign with the Ravens at a low price.

OLB!!!!! he would come here and shore up the middle. might lead to the end of tedy bruschi if he came

Can he play OLB and shut his mouth?

In the end, he will get over his ego and resign with the Ravens at a low price.

don't think he'd play outside here, at least i hope not. would be an upgrade over tedy though, paired w/ Mayo

sorry billdog--posted at same time

Last edited:
I am personally not a big fan of Ray Ray because of his checkered past, but even at his age he does have some talent. Sometimes guys like Lewis have ridiculous demands early and price themselves out of the market and then are forced later to take even less than they could have gotten at the beginning of free agency because they overplayed their hand. It could happen to Lewis.

Lewis is an upgrade to what the Pats have right now. I wouldn't pay Lewis all that much to come here though. He is an one to two year rent a player who is better than the average rent a player.

I think a smokescreen is quite possible, though not quite in the way you suggest. If the Pats do want to make a run at Peppers, then showing some interest in Jason Taylor or Ray Lewis would be a good way of putting some pressure on Carolina to cut a deal.

That scenario also makes total sense.

The Basics of the 3-4 Defense @ Edweirdo's Oakland Raiders Report

How hard is it to play 3-4 ILB? Check out this telling quote by All-Pro Ray Lewis, who is glad to be finished playing 3-4 ILB (the Ravens are switching from the 3-4 to the 4-3 and 46 for the 2005 season):

"We're in the 46 defense now, and finally, finally again, I get to play football," said Lewis. "My job is not to take on offensive linemen, but to make running backs not want to play against me"

Please tell me Holley is wrong and this jacka** isn't coming here to try to run around blockers, instead of taking them on, as our SILB. I know BB is smarter than that.

Last edited:

This is how I see it!!

I just cannot picture the face of BB when Ray does his whole song and dance comming onto the field. Remember we come out together and play as a team not make a huge deal of one person coming onto the field. That being said he is a HOF LB but not the guy he use to be. He just does not fit in I think but a young team like KC with lots of cap room may want to add a second vet LB as they really have nothing there. He could be the leader in KC and give that defense a bit of creditability and to light a fire under Dorsy's ass (I thought this kid was going to be all world when I watched him in college.

Last edited:
OLB!!!!! he would come here and shore up the middle. might lead to the end of tedy bruschi if he came

So you'll treat Bruschi like garbage, and hamper the development of Guyton to bring in loud mouth Lewis who leadership style is not needed in the Pats locker room?

Ray Lewis needs an exorcism.

It wouldn't make sense to go after Lewis. We'd have to pay him a crapload of money and it would have made better sense to keep Vrabel and move him inside. Couldn't Vrabel be as effective as Ray inside? Vrabel already knows the system, is probably just as athletic or more, definitely is more versatile and is as much a leader as Ray. Plus we'd have to pay Ray a lot more money in the long run, and especially since we have a lot of FAs next year, why tie up money to a player we had to let go just to sign a player of the same caliber, but at a higher price?

I don't care how good Lewis is - or was, or still is... whatever - I do not want that PUNK on this team.

Me neither. Though I think "thug" is the more precise term. Plus, his pathetic pregame rant/dance makes me want to gag.

Last edited:
It's almost definitely a legit report. I expect the bidding is a safe distance from being acceptable, but it's likely aimed at affecting the price of other FA's.

No thanks, if we're opening the checkbook we need a pass rusher and someone younger (i.e. PEPPERS)

I can't see the pats coming up with enough to surpass whatever balt may be willing to.

And I'm not enamored with attention ho's.

No thanks, if we're opening the checkbook we need a pass rusher and someone younger (i.e. PEPPERS)

Completely agree. Let Mayo and Guyton man the middle with Bruschi as insurance. This team needs a pass rush.

Easiest way to fix the secondary=get more pressure on the QB.

I heard that Baltimore's take it or leave it offer to Lewis was 4 years/37.5M. I really don't see the Pats paying more than 9M per year for Ray Lewis. And he's also age 35. I have doubts of how he'd work in the Pats system where he'd actually have to take on guards, so for that kind of money I would pass on Ray Lewis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back