PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Holley on WEEI....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! DaBruinz! You suck! You forgot about Zuriel Smith!

:D

DaBruinz said:
This year, the Pats have signed Gramatica, Caldwell, Warfield, Smith and Mitchell.

Wait...maybe you did! Or do you truly mean T-Buck?

Don't forget that Tucker, Childress, Guss Scott, and Davis were also re-signed, and Yates and Murczkowski signings are forthcoming.

Last edited:
BradyBirdYazOrr said:
Newbie? Oh you silly geek....Gramatica will be better than av next year(which wont take much)...and I have no respect for someone that does not want to be a part of my favorite team...why would I...Listen you can call me names or whatever...but the fact is I am right and will be vindicated next year...no big deal...wanna bet on it Joey?

Really - what is with the "Joey" refrences, vindictive and insulting posts, and homosexual references?

Is calling someone Joey or Johnny the latest in college-style disparagement?

Do you think this will make people here think you're "cool"?

BradyBirdYazOrr said:
Hey joey im not a newbie ive been lurking this site for years....i made no homophobic comments get over yourself...i was just pointing out your mancrush on av...I did not know you were gay and did not mean to offend ..btw I am a firm believer if gramatica wins the job he could very well be an upgrade...especially on long field goals and kickoffs

Come on Nube...JSP is too good a poster for you to shoot from the hip.
Funny how you go after NEM and JSP here...you must be a PF reject.

Gramatica's kickoffs are shorter than AV

20-29:..47/50.....94%
30-39:..47/58.....81%
40-49...28/47.....60%
...50+:..15/24.....62%
Career:137/179 76.5%

Vinatieri:
20-29:..103/107...96%
30-39:...76/92.....83%
40-49:...70/99.....71%
...50+;....8/17.....47%
Career:263/321 81.9%

Last edited:
F.B.N. said:

40-49...28/47.....60%

Vinatieri:
...50+;....8/17.....47%

Informative stats. But if you really look at them, Gramaticas overall # is lower partially due to kicking a TON more (% wise) 50+ yarders. 13% of his kicks vs 5%.
If you consider that BB passed on long FGs last year, that may be an upgrade because clearly there has never been a lack of confidence in leg strength from Gramaticas former coaches. And his % is excellent from far out.
The 2% difference in the closest 2 ranges is really statistically insignificant ot me.
The HUGE difference and potential dropoff is the 40-49 yard range. For Gramatica to have been as effective as AV in that range, he would have had to make 5 that he missed. Of course thats only about a kick a year?????

It all shows my point. Kickers are kickers. If you dont f-up you'll find one who is successful 80% of the time.
AV was a 'great clutch kicker' BUT he is seen as that because he had the OPPORTUNITY to be. When you are successful at something in the clutch that everyone converts 80% of the time, you are clutch mostly becausae you had the chance not because you made what everyone else would miss. I totally disagree that outside of a select few, kicker are less effective under pressure than on normal kicks.

All of the above excludes the Snow Bowl kick which I think no other kicker would have made. Quite honestly though, having the kicker who made that kick instead of a replacement who is about as good overall would have nothing to do with any kicks they attempt next year, unless we have another Snow Bowl.

No knock on AV but it amazes me how much making a kick that almost any pro has an 80% conversion rate at becomes so glorified, and the 52 players that put him into a postion to do his routine job get overlooked and people think "Vinatieri won the SB" Its ludicrous. Im thrilled as hell we had him, love the memories, but the chances that not having Vinatieri costs a SB win are 1 in a million. (And his age doesnt make him more likely ot not be the guy who misses the clutch kick)

Not to dance on the grave, but how funny would this be? Pats lead Colts 21-20 in 4th quarter of the AFCC in Foxboro. Colts line up for game winning FG to go to the SB, and Vinatieri misses. Or its tied Vinatieri misses with 1:35 left, then Gramatica makes a 53 yarder at the gun?

No one will be happier than me if Gramatica can improve on AV's kickoffs and FG percentage - but last I heard AV's not coming back.

I'm a bit confused by an admission that its unclear if Gramatica will even make the team yet full confidence that if he does he will be better than AV

That's not something I want to be settling for at this point.

At some point we lost track of the point of this thread. Some seem to feel we have needs to be addressed going into the draft. Some seem to disagree with that premise.

But I maintain that with the exception of a #1 reciever and a third down back named Troy Brown who hopefully can defy the aging process for another year, we're not exactly well stocked at WR given last year's production from Caldwell - 28 (career high) Johnson - 4, Smith - 3, Childress - 3, and Stone - 3

Even Andy Johnson agrees we have a need at WR & LB.

Even BB acknowledged a need to improve the WR corps last year and things haven't improved then.

Hopefully no one's going to accuse him of not drinking the kool aid.

JoeSixPat said:
No one will be happier than me if Gramatica can improve on AV's kickoffs and FG percentage - but last I heard AV's not coming back.

I'm a bit confused by an admission that its unclear if Gramatica will even make the team yet full confidence that if he does he will be better than AV

What I meant was it will not take much to be better than vinatieri last year ..whether that kicker is gramatica or joesixpack from the draft...plus the next kicker will have the added benefit of not being that @#$%ing little weasel who has his head buried about a foot up peyton mannings @$$...I love the guy dont get me wrong

JoeSixPat said:

At some point we lost track of the point of this thread. Some seem to feel we have needs to be addressed going into the draft. Some seem to disagree with that premise.

But I maintain that with the exception of a #1 reciever and a third down back named Troy Brown who hopefully can defy the aging process for another year, we're not exactly well stocked at WR given last year's production from Caldwell - 28 (career high) Johnson - 4, Smith - 3, Childress - 3, and Stone - 3

Even BB acknowledged a need to improve the WR corps last year and things haven't improved then.

No one is saying we dont have needs. No team, ever, has gone into a draft without needs.
What those who seem to be opposed to your p.o.v. seem to be saying is that sure we have needs, but we have all of the means (picks and cap room) to fill them.
Personally, I think our needs are most importantly depth.

I'm not worried that someone will be here to kick FGs.
I'm not concerned that the guy who steps in at LB will do the job, and accept it may be a dropoff.
I'm not concerned that someone running routes will catch the passes Brady throws him.
And Im not at all concerned that we will have a liability in any of these spots.

I dont care if stars fill those spots.
My primary concern is that we try to get younger and healthier. (I'd rather have a decent guy play 16 games than a good one play 8 and a scrub backup play 8) and that we have depth to cover injuries if we do have them so we are not putting BAD players on the field.

If we were healthy last year we would have won the SB. If the guys who filled in for the injured guys were ADEQUATE we win the SB. We do not need more good players, we need less bad players (and keeping good ones healthy goes a long way)
With the picks we have an the cap room we have I have absolutely no doubt we will surround the EXCELLENT nucleus we have with a group of 53 capable football players. That didnt happen last year, at least not when we had to sign injury replacements.

If we upgrade spots 30-53 from what we had last year, we win the SB.

JoeSixPat said:

Joe,
Do you expect our final cutdown to 53 to have Branch, Caldwell, Brown, Johnson, Smith, Childress and Stone (or whatever 5 of them you like best) to be our WRs?
I think 11 draft picks and 20mill in cap room will at least partially be used on the WR position.

Actually, if those were our WRs to start the year, I would be VERY happy. That would mean that BB could find no one to supplant any one of them, so I would expect them to be excellent, and it would mean we used 11 picks and 20mill to upgrade a lot of other spots.

AndyJohnson said:
Actually, if those were our WRs to start the year, I would be VERY happy. That would mean that BB could find no one to supplant any one of them, so I would expect them to be excellent, and it would mean we used 11 picks and 20mill to upgrade a lot of other spots.

If that's our starting WR corps than there's one of two possibilities.

1.) The rosy scenario that a Caldwell and a bunch of guys with 3 or 4 catches last season have taken a quantum leap forward in talent or

2.) They haven't dramatically improved and the yet to be named competition brought into camp can't displace them.

Am I really talking nonsense? We can drink Kool-aid from now to the start of the season and that's not necessarilly going to make our #2 - #5 WRs better, nor is it going to help Gramatica make the team or provide the quality depth we all expect.

Holley was simply telling it like it is: There are a helluva lot of "if"s as the team now stands.

Answering some of those questions before the draft would be wise from a strategic standpoint. Why is this such an earth shattering or "unPatriotic" suggestion?

JoeSixPat said:
Most everyone admits that its not even assured Gramatica will make the team. (Although one person asserts that IF he makes the team he'll be BETTER than AV. How's that for a vote of confidence! :rofl:)

I wasn't the one saying he'll be better than AV, but I have posted predictions of Grammatical Greatness. I claim that he'll "make the Pro Bowl and run off with your gramma."

F.B.N. said:
Funny how you go after NEM and JSP here...you must be a PF reject.

40-49...28/47.....60%

Vinatieri:
...50+;....8/17.....47%

F.B.N - Sorry to burst your bubble, but Gramatica's kicks are 1 yard LONGER than Vinatieri's. And that is with Gramatica losing over 2 yards per kickoff because of his injury. What you showed was Gramatica's FG %s. However, they are skewed by the last 2 years where he was injured. That is something you totally ignore.

DaBruinz said:
F.B.N - Sorry to burst your bubble, but Gramatica's kicks are 1 yard LONGER than Vinatieri's. And that is with Gramatica losing over 2 yards per kickoff because of his injury. What you showed was Gramatica's FG %s. However, they are skewed by the last 2 years where he was injured. That is something you totally ignore.
Score!Bobby Orr!

Boy, this thread sure crapped out.

Attachments

• cat****.jpg
    cat****.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 74
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back