PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Holley on WEEI....

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
He said if we dont see some guys coming in within the next 10 days, then pats fans should be worried, he said dont be surprised to see a trade happen before the draft. he said its ridiculous to think the Pats offseason plan was to stricktly just sign Seymour and Branch, saying that even with a branch extension the pats will still have 12 mill under the cap, and that there is more to it then what we see.

The more cap room meaning we want to move up in the draft and have the money to take a guy in the top 10. AJ hawk a possibility? or since we are enamored with Physical Freaks, Vernon Davis?

Another TE, that's just what we need!

JackBauer said:
Another TE, that's just what we need!

Yes, another TE. We have 2. Fauria is gone.

Maybe we don't need to get one in the first round, though.

I actually think you can play Vernon Davis at WR, he would be similar to David boston (the Arizona Cardinal Version)

If they were planning on moving up that high to get one franchise player in this year's draft i think it would have to be mean and versatile Michael Huff.

363839 said:

Yep, another 1st round TE would be a solid investment.

Did he say why we should be worried if we don't see guys "coming in within the next 10 days"? Or, do we have to buy a vowel to solve the puzzel?

trade

Perhaps a deal for Javon Walker. With the new cap, the team can afford to pay 2 top WR's.

It just wasn't smart to pay Givens as a top WR.

Brady is in his prime, he needs as many weapons as possible.

PATSNUTme said:
Did he say why we should be worried if we don't see guys "coming in within the next 10 days"? Or, do we have to buy a vowel to solve the puzzel?

Good question, if the 10 day limit expires does that mean Gillete is about to impold and Robert Kraft is moving to Bora-Bora? I would take what we should be worried about? Does that mean all the other FA out there will be taken by the giant kraken and dragged into the deep? That the draft will be cancelled? The check writing hand of Kraft will become petrefied?

I'm willing to bet there will be a RFA offer sheet before the draft. The deadline for signing a RFA to an offer sheet is Friday.

I mentioned them before, but it is possible a RFA offer sheet for TE Zach Hilton (NO) or LB Scott Shanle (Dal).

Nick Griesen is a FA I'd like to see brought in as a replacement for Chatham.

I'm not sure I understand the "we should be worried" aspect of this post/Holley's comments. Is that just an awkward, unusual way of saying that there are ongoing talks and if they fall apart it's a big deal because we've been banking a significant part of the off-season on that? Does it mean that Holley is just speculating that it would be an absurdly inactive off-season and, therefore, we should be worried if all we do is extend Seymour and Branch?

Please clarify. Anyone?

NE39 said:
I'm willing to bet there will be a RFA offer sheet before the draft. The deadline for signing a RFA to an offer sheet is Friday.

I mentioned them before, but it is possible a RFA offer sheet for TE Zach Hilton (NO) or LB Scott Shanle (Dal).

Nick Griesen is a FA I'd like to see brought in as a replacement for Chatham.

If the deadline is Friday, isn't it too late to sign someone to an offr sheet? Doesn't the other team have 5-7 days to react?

The Pats can take the anti-capologist route: Pre-pay, and thus guaranteeing, future contractual salaries (Brady,Seymour etc.) to lower their cap hits for those years.

patsox23 said:
I'm not sure I understand the "we should be worried" aspect of this post/Holley's comments. Is that just an awkward, unusual way of saying that there are ongoing talks and if they fall apart it's a big deal because we've been banking a significant part of the off-season on that? Does it mean that Holley is just speculating that it would be an absurdly inactive off-season and, therefore, we should be worried if all we do is extend Seymour and Branch?

Please clarify. Anyone?

Yes, what the heck does he mean by this? Why should we be worried if nothing happens in the next 10 days? If I wake up on the morning of 4/29 and the team looks exactly as it does today, should I expect a 10-6 season?

tailgater said:
If the deadline is Friday, isn't it too late to sign someone to an offr sheet? Doesn't the other team have 5-7 days to react?

The deadline to sign players to offer sheets is Friday. The deadline for teams to match is the following Friday.

It is designed so that the RFA are set before the draft. The deadline is always a week before the draft so teams will know the status of their RFA prior to the draft starting.

Mosi Moose said:
Yes, what the heck does he mean by this? Why should we be worried if nothing happens in the next 10 days? If I wake up on the morning of 4/29 and the team looks exactly as it does today, should I expect a 10-6 season?

He may be saying that if we don't sign any other major contracts then even though we will spend some money to sign the new draftees, we won't end up spending to the cap. The implication is that we may be pulling a cheap one for this year. I don't agree with this as there is a lot of time left to pick up additional players, sign extensions, etc. before the season starts.

Sounds like he meant to quote Holley as saying "Pats fans should NOT be worried." Holley doesn't often say things like it's time to get "worried".....

Here's what I take from Holley's comments.

In past seasons we've generally had all starting positions filled and have used free agency and the draft to acquire depth and youth.

This year is different. We have significant holes to fill and a more pressing need for quality depth given many of our departures.

Free agency, the draft, and trades are three ways to retool your team. We have not been particularly active in free agency.

That leaves the draft and trades. Since it takes two to tango on trades, expect to see BB explore trade opportunities before, rather than after the draft as he has in past years - as once he knows where he stands with trades he can use the draft to address team needs.

Any needs that aren't addressed prior to and during the draft will come in the form of acquiring players cut by other teams - and while some jewels can be found in that rough, players are usually cut by other teams for good reasons.

363839 said:

I echo your thoughts. There is nothing wrong with another tight end. As far as Davis, guys like him do no some along every day. TE is very different than WR. It is estimated that a normal WR needs 3 years to adjust to the NFL. The tihird year is the typical breakout year if the reciever has the talent to stay. This is not foolproof, but a good observation. The TE doesn't need 3 years. For many, it is instant success. Gates, Schocky, Gonzo, etc... That being said, Davis would be the #1 instantly & Watson could go to a # 4 WR/TE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes