PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael George Vrabel Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownfan80

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I've gone over and over the 2005 season in my head since the day we lost to the Broncos in Mile High. That day ended an up and down season that many will look at as a black mark on the dynasty era.

Between the struggles with injuries and the struggles with new unfamiliar faces lining up as team-mates our defense struggled for half the season to find it's identity.

During that first half of the season you would routinely see none other than Mike Vrabel chasing down ball carriers that his new teammates at inside linebacker had let get by. He was taking up slack and doing what he could to help.

In a time where everything was going wrong on defense, he could still be counted on. And then came the 'turnaround' of the defense after the midway point. Seymour returned, Bruschi returned, we got stability in the defensive backfield.. but overlooked by some it was Mike Vrabel that enabled this defensive turnaround to solidify. His versatility and physical style allowed the move to ILB to be an easy one.

His smarts helped him acclimate to the new view of the field with little to no drop off in performance. He brought back a tough mentality to the middle that had vanished with Ted Johnson and Roman Phifer in the offseason. In essense he saved us from the play of Chad Brown and Monty Beisel (which, face it, would have doomed us for another 8 weeks Seymour, Bruschi, Hawkins be damned).

With Vrabels move to the inside the opposition could no longer rack up easy 2nd and 5's using the old 'take it up the gut at the crappy ILB' trick.

I'm not minimizing what Seymour, Bruschi, Hobbs, or Hawkins brought to the table in the second half, I'm just pointing it out that without Mike Vrabel it'd all have been for naught.

So, here's to Mike Vrabel! 50 reporting!

Attachments

• s3982.jpg
    s3982.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 288
Vrabel is indeed "The Man". He is definitely key, and whether he goes inside or outside is one of the more relevant questions for me.

Attachments

• 1075685682_2230.jpg
    1075685682_2230.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 253
We did this before but we can do it again. He deserves it.

Thanks again Steelers for letting him go to us.

PATSNUTme said:
We did this before but we can do it again. He deserves it.

Thanks again Steelers for letting him go to us.

Oh, sorry then. I didn't mean to post a retread thread. His play was just one of the year long positives in a year where not alot that was positive stayed positive consistently. I'd gone back and watched my 3gtg tapes again recently and just was blown away by how many huge plays Vrabel made. He's become one of those Tedy/Rodney/Brady/Willie :)() types.

He is by far my favorite Patriot. No question he is an important cog of this team.

I love the guy. He makes some of the biggest plays this team has seen in its recent success.

He is the man for sure. I wear he jersey all year long. Name me another LB from recent years that has had a sack, forced a fumble and caught a touchdown pass all in one superbowl. He should have been MVP that year.

He really hasn't changed much in 9 years (unless of course this is post-college, making an appearance at a game).

254147.jpg

Last edited:
Brownfan80 said:
Oh, sorry then. I didn't mean to post a retread thread. His play was just one of the year long positives in a year where not alot that was positive stayed positive consistently. I'd gone back and watched my 3gtg tapes again recently and just was blown away by how many huge plays Vrabel made. He's become one of those Tedy/Rodney/Brady/Willie :)() types.

Hey, not a problem. The one that I was referring to was done in Decemeber sometime.

I'm home with the flu today so my head is not screwed on right.

He does deserve another salute and should have one every month.:rocker:

PATSNUTme said:
Hey, not a problem. The one that I was referring to was done in Decemeber sometime.

I'm home with the flu today so my head is not screwed on right.

He does deserve another salute and should have one every month.:rocker:
What is Vrabel's salary and how long is he signed up for?

Fanfrom1960 said:
What is Vrabel's salary and how long is he signed up for?

What ever he wants for as long as he wants.:D

Just noticed that this is a Michael George Vrable appreciation thread. The one in December was a Mike Vrable appreciation thread. So, they are not the same at all.

Last edited:
With out a doubt, he gives us so much strength in our awsome linebacker corps!!! Love his sense of humor too!

Go Vrabes!!

Vrabel is signed thru 2009:

"Vrabel's five-year contract included a signing bonus of $5.18 million and has roster bonuses due in every year. The potential total value - not including any escalators and a $1 million roster bonus Vrabel was already paid April 1 - is $16.4 million. Vrabel could earn roster bonuses of $500,000 for each of the 2006 and 2007 seasons, and $1 million for each of the 2008 and 2009 campaigns. The base salaries are $670,000 (2005), $1.5 million (2006), $2.05 million (2007), $1.8 million (2008) and $2.2 million (2009).

Did you guys know some guy named Miguel has a cap website linked off Patsfans where you can look up this stuff yourselves? -:)

PatsSteve1 said:
Vrabel is signed thru 2009:

"Vrabel's five-year contract included a signing bonus of $5.18 million and has roster bonuses due in every year. The potential total value - not including any escalators and a $1 million roster bonus Vrabel was already paid April 1 - is $16.4 million. Vrabel could earn roster bonuses of $500,000 for each of the 2006 and 2007 seasons, and $1 million for each of the 2008 and 2009 campaigns. The base salaries are $670,000 (2005), $1.5 million (2006), $2.05 million (2007), $1.8 million (2008) and $2.2 million (2009).

Did you guys know some guy named Miguel has a cap website linked off Patsfans where you can look up this stuff yourselves? -:)

Me at my next Annual Increase Meeting: "In addition to my usual yearly increase in compensation, I would now like to negotiate a yearly "roster bonus" that I will be paid each year if I am still employed by this company. This bonus will be nonrefundable after paid, whether my employment is continued through the remainder of the year or not, so you better be sure you want me for a year by the date specified or it's your tough nuts."

I can't wait to see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back